Kevin Mirallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hits: McCarthy, Lukaku, Lennon, Delboy.
Jury: Barry (marmite etc), Besic, Joel.
Misses: McGeady, Alcaraz, Kone, Eto'o, Atsu.

Pretty mixed/average transfer dealings so far, will see this summer how his transfer judgment is. @davek

Hits : McCarthy, Lukaku, Besic, Lennon, Defouleueuo, Robles, Barry, Galloway
Failure : Kone, Eto'o, Alcaraz, Traore, McGeady, Atsu

Its not great IMO.

Not many manager's transfer dealings are 'great', though? There's always going to be transfers that, in hindsight, were wrong. But, in fairness, bar Koné, all of those players were brought in as squad filler and really didn't cost much. Cleverly (IF he comes) will be a squad player who can play in there positions in midfield. On a free transfer/signing on fee, I don't see the issue there. Yes I'd love us to have gone for Milner, but the reality is we're not in a position to pay a 29-year-old £100,000 a week like the RS will. And I'm confident that the playmaker and winger that Martinez will bring in will represent a step up in quality.

At his best he's as good as anyone in the premier league. When he cba.which happens a bit too often.he's a liability. I don't think he's suited to tika taka but you could say that about quite a few of our players

So in January when we lost Eto' and signed nobody we came out the window stronger?
We loaned Lennon, and his goals, assists and ability to bring Coleman back in the game was crucial for us in March/April.

the year before that, when we sold Jelavic.

He currently has a 50% strike rate with regards transfer windows.

2 good and 2 very, very bad.

He's never left us weaker coming out of a transfer window. Fact.

Hits: McCarthy, Lukaku, Lennon, Delboy.
Jury: Barry (marmite etc), Besic, Joel.
Misses: McGeady, Alcaraz, Kone, Eto'o, Atsu.

Pretty mixed/average transfer dealings so far, will see this summer how his transfer judgment is. @davek

There's no way the jury is still out on those three. They've proven up to the job of playing in our first team, no question. Galloway looks like he can make the grade also.

IMO, there's been two undoubted wastes of cash: Kone and (in terms wages) Alcarez.

McGeady has come in and done it on occasion (not nearly enough, obviously); Eto'o grabbed a goal or two but wasn't consistent and never really added to team cohesion, so that was that; Atsu I dont believe got enough game time to judge him on.

So far his I think his transfers have been pretty good bar Kone and Alcarez. The rest that are marginal were free/cheap transfers or loans used to fill out a squad, Hardly damaging from a financial perspective. His two big outlays have been excellent. I think Besic will end up being a steal.

There's no way the jury is still out on those three. They've proven up to the job of playing in our first team, no question. Galloway looks like he can make the grade also.

IMO, there's been two undoubted wastes of cash: Kone and (in terms wages) Alcarez.

McGeady has come in and done it on occasion (not nearly enough, obviously); Eto'o grabbed a goal or two but wasn't consistent and never really added to team cohesion, so that was that; Atsu I dont believe got enough game time to judge him on.

Galloway does look good although he is only a part timer at the minute - give him a few seasons and then we can judge him properly, the players i have mentioned are all brought in with the idea of them contributing for the first team in various roles. Besic hasnt played enough and is a little rough around the edges, Joel started dodgy then stepped up in his mini run so again - unsure for some. barry for me personally is a hit but some with say a 33/34 year old who had struggled for a period this season is up for discussion from some also.

McGeady could offer more, alcaraz was 4th choice but still isnt great, atsu - not enough time, Eto'o only a brief stay but excellent job getting him here !

Like i say a mixed bag, giving stones a run could be his best decision no matter who else he buys in the future - absoloute class act.

Galloway does look good although he is only a part timer at the minute - give him a few seasons and then we can judge him properly, the players i have mentioned are all brought in with the idea of them contributing for the first team in various roles. Besic hasnt played enough and is a little rough around the edges, Joel started dodgy then stepped up in his mini run so again - unsure for some. barry for me personally is a hit but some with say a 33/34 year old who had struggled for a period this season is up for discussion from some also.

McGeady could offer more, alcaraz was 4th choice but still isnt great, atsu - not enough time, Eto'o only a brief stay but excellent job getting him here !

Like i say a mixed bag, giving stones a run could be his best decision no matter who else he buys in the future - absoloute class act.

I think that Besic has played much more than I would've expected. He was involved in about 30 games.

Hits : McCarthy, Lukaku, Besic, Lennon, Defouleueuo, Robles, Barry, Galloway
Failure : Kone, Eto'o, Alcaraz, Traore, McGeady, Atsu

Its not great IMO.

Koné: effed by injury, won a lot of praise when at Wigan. If the injury hadn't happened I think he'd have been a solid buy for a backup striker.
Eto'o: arguably just misused, which is another discussion altogether.
Traore: effed by injury, who knows.
Alcaraz: tosh, but was a cheap backup player.
McGeady: cheap backup player.
Atsu: gamble that didn't work out, but it was only a loan so the gamble was affordable.

I think his record in the market's pretty good here, and IIRC he was as well known for clever buys at Wigan as Moyes was when he was here.

Obviously there's not much interesting discussion to be had going back and forth about it, but I'm pretty positive about this summer.

They're a mixed bag in the sense that two of the three you mentioned aren't nailed on regular starters, but I doubt that too many other people dont see them all as established with us now as players that can slot in and be first teamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back