Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he is, how do you think we'd afford that list? If DCL is £60m then what do you reckon Roma will want for Abraham after his decent season? Johnson is highly rated so he won't be cheap. Bissouma is decent so we'd have to pay a fair bit even with one year left. Add to that the loan fee for Gallagher, the cost of a 'baller from Europe', and the fact that no one would pay money for Gbamin, and you've basically got zero chance of this happening.

I'll leave that to our billionaire accountant who turned over £300 million losses into £85 million!

All about book value anyway - DCL sold at £60 million takes our "losses" of **£85 million** to £25 million over the current 3 yr cycle (not factoring in this year just for arguments sake as we dont know what our accounts are for the current season just gone).

That would leave us £80 million away from breaking the £105 million limit - signing Tammy Abraham for say £50 million on a 5 yr deal would only be 10 million extra on this year's accounts (not including wages which would increase this).

Where fans get confused is thinking signing a player for £50 million means £50 million is on the accounts for this year which isn't the case its spread over length of contract.

A lot of deals done (imo) will have an eye on the next 2-3 years when a lot of our big earners are off the books and we are at BMD by then with much bigger revenues + potential naming rights deal on the ground.

I haven't seen him in Russia but apparently he's done well and he's still relatively young / an international CM.

I think people still think its 2007 when they talk about fees - we paid about £15 million for Rangers 3rd choice RB who had played a total of about 20 professional games of football.

Its not a lot of money anymore.
15 million isn’t a lot of money for us, but it is a lot of money for a team willing to take a punt on a player who’s been injured for three years

I'm a bit worried now that I know he wrote a book about a formation that rarely seems to work for us.

Unless it means he'll have to replace the entire squad just to make it work. I wouldn't mind that.
Thanks for pointing out this book, new information to me and very interesting.

I did feel there was a point this season where Benitez and Unsworth suddenly started to use 5 at the back as their default formation. It felt quite unnatural at the time but I wonder if it came down from on high as part of the "strategic review".

Then hiring a DOF who is clearly invested in 5 at the back via his work at Wolves and New York and also wrote a book about it. Puts a different perspective on the summer for me.

You think Steve Walsh was Steve Walsh? You merely adopted Steve Walsh; I was born of him, moulded by him. I didn’t see the terrible contracts until I was appointed, by then they were nothing to me but solid footballing acumen!

Fella's walked into a very tough situation:

1. Medical department not fit for purpose

2. Underperforming academy

3. Club needing to shift big losses to comply with FFP

4. A chairman above him who's a clown

He's getting 2 summers from me before I make a firm judgement.

Cleaning up the mess left by Walsh and Brands whilst trying to make us competitive in a league where our peers like Newcastle and Villa are throwing money around will not be easy.

Good luck Kev.

Cleaning up the mess left by Walsh and Brands whilst trying to make us competitive in a league where our peers like Newcastle and Villa are throwing money around will not be easy.

Good luck Kev.
And he thinks keeping Kenny for three more years is sound.

It is if it's with a view to selling for actual cash....he's an academy player so book value would be 0 so any sale is 100% profit on the accounts
And we have been selling him for a couple of years. Someone has to come up with money to buy a poo player. This doesn’t make any sense.

Good luck Kev.
Didn't have to take the job if he didn't think he was up to it. He doesn't get two summers from me. He gets judged from day one. He started as a zero and has gone down from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back