Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he's hard at work identifying key targets tbh mate. I think our fans need to put the knives down already and just let the fella get on with his job.

You dont see Liverpools magical DOF doing fan interviews every week he just runs the operation well.

Let's hope the same from our super kev.

….you’re assuming Thelwell has the scope of a normal DoF, but we know at our club this is far from the truth. Managers and the owner work in their own interest, an Everton DoF needs the diplomacy of Kissinger to keep things together.

At least with Lampard at the helm, I imagine he’ll have the decency to work cohesively with Thelwell, so the situation you describe might be close to what happens. What we don’t know is if Moshiri continues to meddle.

….you’re assuming Thelwell has the scope of a normal DoF, but we know at our club this is far from the truth. Managers and the owner work in their own interest, an Everton DoF needs the diplomacy of Kissinger to keep things together.

At least with Lampard at the helm, I imagine he’ll have the decency to work cohesively with Thelwell, so the situation you describe might be close to what happens. What we don’t know is if Moshiri continues to meddle.
Reckon that situation will be a bit clearer when the window closes.
I would like to think we have turned a corner regarding El Ghazi type moments, but this is Everton and the JJK contract wasn't a great start to the window.

They're a reasonably successful club of recent times so they don't need to say or do anything to reassure fans as they actually win football matches.

Unlike us.

So an idea of direction and plan would be nice.
This goes one of two ways:

1) There is a plan and direction, and we make some smart moves this summer
2) There isn't, and we don't

We'll know which by the end of the summer. There's not much use in pressing the club on this particular issue. I agree with the sentiment that this club needs to do a much better job of having actual two-way communication with fans about a lot of things, but this issue isn't one of them. Recruitment strategy and implementation should be the outcome of cooperative work between the DoF and the manager.

We have no place in that discussion. It's fun to talk about what we would do if we were in their position, but they shouldn't be soliciting our feedback and we shouldn't expect to have information about their plans. Disclosing that information would impair the DoF's ability to bargain by driving up prices, so we should accept that recruitment strategy needs to stay behind closed doors.

Yep, agree.
If he can bring in a competent sitting midfielder to shield the defence, as well, then that puts us comfortable in midtable.

We could do with a 6 mate, i wont lie i like both Allan and Doucoure, so id priortise a creative player through the middle and out on the Flank, presuming we loose Richarlison, we need threat and creativity our forwardfs living off bare bones and anything they cn create themselves and we fell over the line, in terms of threat and creativity we've taken Digne, Bernard, Jamo and Gylfi out of the team in 12 months and more then likely Richarilison - that a hell of a lot of threat to come out of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back