2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've no idea why you want to defend not bringing in a forward when we desperately needed one.

I don't even know what your motivation for thinking like that might be.

We blew it, absolutely blew it.
We have to be very carful what we spend, January is a hard window, like when we got Walcot and Tosun.
Also some of the players who turned us down might of been the right ones, but they didn't want to come.

We have to be very carful what we spend, January is a hard window, like when we got Walcot and Tosun.
Also some of the players who turned us down might of been the right ones, but they didn't want to come.

…I don’t get this, ‘January is a hard window’. Surely there was an adequate striker option somewhere on this planet that was willing to come to this club.

Regardless, we started the season without a central striker. It was the summer window. Thelwell sent Simms to Sunderland, Rondon wasn’t deemed good enough so we struggled for a month without an adequate back-up to DCL before Maupay was brought in. Maupay is exactly the type we didn’t need. Surely that £15m could’ve been better spent.

We are now into the 2nd half of the season & the fact we haven’t got an effective back-up to DCL is bordering on gross negligence. There is absolutely no excuse for a PL club being in this position. Thelwell is risking our PL existence with his incompetence, there is no defence for him.

Would dearly love a little peep at Dyche's summer transfer list ( if he performs this miracle that is )
Would be nice to see what kind of player/Direction he would be looking at to move this club forward.

Could suprise us all...

…I don’t get this, ‘January is a hard window’. Surely there was an adequate striker option somewhere on this planet that was willing to come to this club.

Regardless, we started the season without a central striker. It was the summer window. Thelwell sent Simms to Sunderland, Rondon wasn’t deemed good enough so we struggled for a month without an adequate back-up to Dominic Calvert-Lewin before Maupay was brought in. Maupay is exactly the type we didn’t need. Surely that £15m could’ve been better spent.

We are now into the 2nd half of the season & the fact we haven’t got an effective back-up to Dominic Calvert-Lewin is bordering on gross negligence. There is absolutely no excuse for a PL club being in this position. Thelwell is risking our PL existence with his incompetence, there is no defence for him.
Me neither but almost every manager says it's a hard window. I guess teams don't want to part with players midseason. If our targets don't want to come then what can we do? Yes we're light up front for sure but at least we didn't give Andre Ayew a 5 year deal.

Dunno just almost a little pleased we didn't sign someone terrible.also not defending the club just trying to understand

Regardless, we started the season without a central striker. It was the summer window. Thelwell sent Simms to Sunderland, Rondon wasn’t deemed good enough so we struggled for a month without an adequate back-up to Dominic Calvert-Lewin before Maupay was brought in. Maupay is exactly the type we didn’t need. Surely that £15m could’ve been better spent.

We are now into the 2nd half of the season & the fact we haven’t got an effective back-up to Dominic Calvert-Lewin is bordering on gross negligence. There is absolutely no excuse for a PL club being in this position. Thelwell is risking our PL existence with his incompetence, there is no defence for him.
Didn't seem that hard for everyone else in the league, but maybe I'm being picky. :Blink:

The test will be where we end up mate. If we stay up it could be a positive thing, tension held in an adjustment in manager, I think we can all accept one of our problems has been is our squad is a mismatch of different philosophies of many different mangers. Would it have been a good thing to bring in an El Ghazi - I mean that was a pointless throw away if money. If it turns out for the best, you would hope we have a bit of a war chest, the Gordon money, presumably the Kean money, sees revenue of 70 mill. Add to that, Mina, Davies, Townsend and if what I heard is right Coleman off the wage bill, we have decent manovering. By that stage the hope would be we look a more stable outfit with Dyches leadership and more unified at least from a footballing perspective between fans and the team. It’s a hit and hope whether we can the likes of Gbamin and Gomes of the wage bill, but with a year to go on their deals their heads might be turned, particularly Gomes at Lille.

However if we go down, the lack of recruitment in January will be scrutinised, as a rule I don’t like the January window, I’d prefer to do nothing unless it’s a necessity and this year it was a necessity. We needed a striker and more creativity. We lost a creative attacking player in Gordon and didn’t strengthen, logic would indicate that poor squad planning. I didn’t like the dynamic if the Gordon deal, whatever your opinion of the player, no way we should have sanctioned an out deal without an incoming in, doing so was stupid, hubris and made us weaker. I would however suggest there was massive external factor impacting our recruitment.

Ultimately though he will be vindicated or vilified by what happens for the rest of the season. Like most things people react to events as they unfold as football fans.

I would however suggest the board and owner review thing differently, they look at the bottom line, what financially is coming and going out, in that regard with over 120 mill + coming into the club since his appointment, they will be pleased.

I will say this the squad is becoming lighter, less burdensome in terms of cost a bit to go - but it’s becoming leaner - more to do this summer, but if Dyche is the leader that going to stay - if Saturday is an indication - he may get the best out if what we already have, some additions with decent revenue brought in and we take small incremental progress. I said it when Thelwell was brought in it was a three year deal to turn the squad around, he two windows into six.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.