2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee sargeson from Brighton has joined the club as manager of recruitment operations. Been at Brighton for 6 years. We are hiring top talent in these key positions. The club and owner just need to let them do their job.
I hadnt realised we had recruited Lee Sargeson, you would think this was key appontment that the club would want to shout about. Any idea what we havent announced anything or maybe i missed this.

I hadnt realised we had recruited Lee Sargeson, you would think this was key appontment that the club would want to shout about. Any idea what we havent announced anything or maybe i missed this.
The club have not announced it yet but Lee sargeson has changed his linkedin profile to manager of scouting operations of Everton football club.

He's literally only just changed his Linkedin profile. Dunno if this is the type of appointment we'd make a big deal out of but anyone whos' worked in the Brighton set-up in recent years would be a welcome addition IMO

So we have had one good game and now the signing who were being used to clobber Lampard are now masterstrokes from Thelwell.

Utter madness.

It's perfectly plausible for someone to be a decent player but not suit some systems/ways of playing

McNeil has never been my favourite, but it seemed pretty inevitable that Dyche would get more out of him than Lampard

Maupay is a better example. He isn't a world beater, but he's a tenacious little striker with good movement who is a decent PL level striker. He was just terribly unsuited to the way Lampard was playing. I'm not saying Dyche will 100% get more out of him, but I don't blame Thelwell for thinking he was decent value (given he's supposedly on reasonable wages and the structure of the deal was do-able)

Wouldn't go as far as calling them masterstrokes, but it's not at all uncommon for some players to do well under certain managers and systems and struggle in others. Michael Keane, for example - looked on his way out, but I'd bet decent money on him now being a decent part of our squad as Dyche will play him in games where he can defend his box rather than the ones where we are pushed up a bit higher.

It's perfectly plausible for someone to be a decent player but not suit some systems/ways of playing

McNeil has never been my favourite, but it seemed pretty inevitable that Dyche would get more out of him than Lampard

Maupay is a better example. He isn't a world beater, but he's a tenacious little striker with good movement who is a decent PL level striker. He was just terribly unsuited to the way Lampard was playing. I'm not saying Dyche will 100% get more out of him, but I don't blame Thelwell for thinking he was decent value (given he's supposedly on reasonable wages and the structure of the deal was do-able)

Wouldn't go as far as calling them masterstrokes, but it's not at all uncommon for some players to do well under certain managers and systems and struggle in others. Michael Keane, for example - looked on his way out, but I'd bet decent money on him now being a decent part of our squad as Dyche will play him in games where he can defend his box rather than the ones where we are pushed up a bit higher.
In think my issue here is about joined up thinking. I mean as a DOF surely you cant buy players who dont fit into the coach / managers style of play? So if Lampard plays one style and the DOF is buying players that dont fit that style how does that work - its surely a failure.
If the players perform and play better for Dyche (which i think they will) then its still a failure for the DOF as they were not bought to play with a Dyche style (what ever that turns out to be long term).
I mean the DOF should have a style of play he is aiming for then managers and players are brought in to suit it. The direction for the club on the pitch should be set by the DOF or what is the point of a DOF. In Evertons case it is the tail wagging the dog and firefighting thats been going on for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.