2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top job this summer so far. Being firm with Branthwaite and DCL, targeting the right players and working at a good pace. We are always grumbling about not getting players in before we start getting into the thick of it but we will have four players in hopefully by the start of next week and making good progress on others before the season starts i reckon.
5 if you include Harrison

Said that in another thread. Braithwaite would develop more as a player, playing another year with us along Tarks, than joining United who are a big club, but a poor team.

For me Braithwaithe is too good for United, he's on trajectory for playing for one of the very very top sides (City, Madrid, Bayern) not a team who now judges a great season being scraping a 4th place finish.

Lets see if our signings are any good and how they all fit first.

On papaer Danjuma seemed like a great signing but didnt really impact.

Don't get me wrong i like the approach, but nuts and bolts there has to be outcome on the pitch.

Ins
Ndiaye £16mil
Iroegbunam £10mil
Lindstrom £3mil
O'Brien £17mil (?)
Harrison
=£46mil

Outs
Onana £55mil
Godfrey £11mil
Dobbin £10mil
= £76mil

I'd have gone a different route so far, how about you ?

Ins
Ndiaye £16mil
Iroegbunam £10mil
Lindstrom £3mil
O'Brien £17mil (?)
Harrison
=£46mil

Outs
Onana £55mil
Godfrey £11mil
Dobbin £10mil
= £76mil

Im open minded mate, im cautious as getting players is one part of the the equation. Danjuma last season a case in point.

What i like overall is the areas we have targeted, we are a very poor attacking team and its the area of the team that needed more options in creativity, im pleased we've identified that with Ndiaye and Lindstrom i hope they can impact, (maybe there are more to come on that score) - both have a bit to prove in the step up. In terms of investment both are the right age and even if they stink the place out you are looking at a return. Harrison - i think we will see a much better season, i was really disappointed with him last season, i know there is a much better player in there then we saw, im expecting a bigger season from him.

O'Brien im a bit cautious about, ive seen him a bit as hes from my neck of the woods, hes a good steady whole hearted player and thats fine, i was surprised to see the likes of Ajax in for him - if im honest ive not seen him prove to be at that level but hes still developing - but thats my take - im a bit cautions on how easy Lyon let him go. But on the opposite side hes made the step up every time hes been asked and i trust Dyche with defenders. So again open minded.

Tim from the clips ive seen really impressed me, not that ive seen him play but there are a couple of technical aspect ive seen in him that i look for in midfielder that have impressed me - as bluestevon was saying the other day - he was a FFP work around - but i think hes a player we have had an interest in for a while.

Overall in terms of bodies in depth and options, im really surprised, i had very low expectations for the window. I do question how we are doing this, i get we raised raised 70 odd and brought in less and what we've saved etc - i also think we're a business that looses 90 mill a year - so how this all works i do have some questions.....but dont want to be a downer while lads are enjoying the drama.

Overall i dont think we're that attractive at the moment, our budget and market is prob sub 20 mill players, so for the ones we got i think they have a fair chance of impacting and helping to recover the club - which is the job of work for the next couple of years. Decent investments we could see a return on.

Of the outs, i think we will miss Onana - i know most dont and i think he was a bad signing overall in terms of what we needed at the time and since - but he was a good player, a player like him you dont realise the impact they make unless you are at the game. he will thrive at Villa. Always liked Godfrey and think he will kick on, but just wasn't fitting and the club needed to mind itself with a return on his contract ending. Dobbin wasn't going to nail a spot here.

Overall, im happy enough with what and where we have brought in, we have tried to address deficiencies in the squad - its a wait and see on the impact, i think the squad looks deeper and more balanced, which is what we needed. Seem good investments at sub 20 mill - so yond be hopeful of a return. In terms of impact on the clubs finances - im not quite sure how we are doing this financially, especially if more come in, so keeping a wide eye on that.

Last edited:
Ins
Ndiaye £16mil
Iroegbunam £10mil
Lindstrom £3mil
O'Brien £17mil (?)
Harrison
=£46mil

Outs
Onana £55mil
Godfrey £11mil
Dobbin £10mil
= £76mil

It's even better when you consider the ins are amortized for the length of the contract. So our net spend according to PL accounting rules is substantially lower.

Lets see if our signings are any good and how they all fit first.

On papaer Danjuma seemed like a great signing but didnt really impact.

Don't get me wrong i like the approach, but nuts and bolts there has to be outcome on the pitch.
Correct

To many people get far to wrapped up in 'this is the type of player we should be signing' or 'these players fit the profile'

All could horrendously fail for all we know. Its a wait and see sort of thing before saying 'its been a great window'

So far so good
Most urgent thing we needed was pace and creativity so we got Ndiaye and JL
Second most important was not being one injury away from Keane or Holgate playing and that’s done now with JO’B
Onana sold for a good fee
Branthwaite offers batted away
No risk of losing anyone we don’t want to unless the offer is too big to say no (same for most clubs)
Not happy with full back depth, center mid depth or strikers but big steps in the right direction for sensible money so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back