2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a hooter like a Butternut squash but jury's still out on signings this summer
I like the profile of the players we're signing this summer. Young players with something to prove and you would imagine on relatively low wages (with the exception of Harrison). I have no clue if most of them are any good but I at least understand the basic plan.

For me Braithwaithe is too good for United, he's on trajectory for playing for one of the very very top sides (City, Madrid, Bayern) not a team who now judges a great season being scraping a 4th place finish.
As much as I agree with the masses about utd being equally as nuts as us as a club however scraping top 4 but continously getting top 4 isn't a bad thing to achieve. Agreed they are nowhere near what they were under ferguson nor do they have the power they used too like city etc do now but a team judging it as a great season winning the fa Cup and finishing 4th year on year is only something we could dream about right now. This isn't me having a go and do thing that the boy is destined for the very top of football but as it stands that's a massive upgrade on us as a club regardless

Anyways, I for one have been impressed by Thelwell given he has been hamstrung by the financial limitations imposed upon the Club both internally and externally. I can't really be too critical of his efforts to date and he has had more incoming successes than failures given the very restricted budget he has available and the need to shift on the deadwood to free up additional monies.

What he may be capable of if or when the financial constraints are removed gives me hope that we may finally be turning the corner 🤞
Don’t fall into the trap like countless others have
Take it from one who knows
It’s the hope that will kill you

We need to make the most of the loan system, with finances tight it would be great to fit in another couple. It could make a real difference in the options available to Dyche and where we may finish.

I'm going to be honest. I think the situation is dire.

We have a central midfield that is utterly reliant on a 34 year old Idrissa Gueye, with no one signed to replace Onana in the engine room, as a defensive or central midfielder.

Our starting right back is either an oft injured 22 year old wingback who is defensively suspect and not favoured by our manager, or a 35 year and 39 year old, both of whom have relentlessly been the focus of (often successful) opposition attacking forays last season. I don't consider Mason Holgate an option.

We have one(!) starting quality left back, who is coming back from serious injury. Our only back up to speak of is again 39, and again an obvious weakspot for opposition sides to exploit. I don't consider Mason Holgate an option.

We have a starting striker who is oft injured, rarely scores, and doesn't want to renew his soon to expire contract. We also can't seem to win without him.

I would have thought any funds spent would be in our obvious above positions of need, as opposed to what look to be predominantly luxury purchases to date. To not deal with these obvious midfield/defensive holes first, to me reeks of utter carelessness and irresponsibility.

There's not much point signing wingers and attacking midfielders galore if we can't win the ball in midfield, can't defend on the wings, and can't attack with width because our fullbacks are closing in on 40 and can't run or cross.

I'm going to be honest. I think the situation is dire.

We have a central midfield that is utterly reliant on a 34 year old Idrissa Gueye, with no one signed to replace Onana in the engine room, as a defensive or central midfielder.

Our starting right back is either an oft injured 22 year old wingback who is defensively suspect and not favoured by our manager, or a 35 year and 39 year old, both of whom have relentlessly been the focus of (often successful) opposition attacking forays last year. I don't consider Mason Holgate an option.

We have one(!) starting quality left back, who is coming back from serious injury. Our only back up to speak of is again 39, and again an obvious weakspot for opposition sides to exploit. I don't consider Mason Holgate an option.

We have a starting striker who is oft injured, rarely scores, and doesn't want to renew his soon to expire contract. We also can't seem to win without him.

I would have thought any funds spent would be in our obvious above positions of need, as opposed to what look to be predominantly luxury purchases to date. To not deal with these obvious midfield/defensive holes first, to me reeks of utter carelessness and irresponsibility.

There's not much point signing wingers and attacking midfielders galore if we can't win the ball in midfield, can't defend on the wings, and can't attack with width because our fullbacks are nearly 40 and can't run or cross.

PSR Tim is an option in midfield, Doucoure will play there as well.

I don't think the purchases were luxury...We needed wide players, we got them. We got a few attacking midfielders/2nd strikers, which push Doucoure further back. We needed another centerback, we got one.

RB is a big concern, more than LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back