2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSR Tim is an option in midfield, Doucoure will play there as well.

I don't think the purchases were luxury...We needed wide players, we got them. We got a few attacking midfielders/2nd strikers, which push Doucoure further back. We needed another centerback, we got one.

RB is a big concern, more than LB.
Tim is a 20 year old that has barely played. He's made 12 premier league appearances, 10 of them as a substitute.

Doucoure is technically limited, and has trouble retaining the ball. Due to his huge engine and pressing ability, it means as a number 10 he can score and create chances and harass the opposition without hurting us too much by losing the ball in dangerous areas that allow opposition counter attacks. He is also gangly, so often lacks technique in the tackle.

In short, both are below average choices for our central midfield. If that's what we are looking at as options due to our wide players/attacking midfield purchases, again, I think we are in serious strife.

PSR Tim is an option in midfield, Doucoure will play there as well.

I don't think the purchases were luxury...We needed wide players, we got them. We got a few attacking midfielders/2nd strikers, which push Doucoure further back. We needed another centerback, we got one.

RB is a big concern, more than LB.
It feels like the more players we sign the more some people are starting to panic. The way I see it from a starting point of a squad that won 48 points we've lost one significant player, thusfar retained the defensive unit that was among the best in the league, augmented it with an extra backup CB, and added a couple of much needed creative options further up the pitch. With in all likelihood at least 2 more signings (even if just loans) to come in.

It's not perfect and it was never going to be but it feels like right now we've done a good job with next to no budget of improving a squad that without the off-field issues, would've been pretty comfortable mid-table most of last season.

Tim is a 20 year old that has barely played. He's made 12 premier league appearances, 10 of them as a substitute.

Doucoure is technically limited, and has trouble retaining the ball. Due to his huge engine and pressing ability, it means as a number 10 he can score and create chances and harass the opposition without hurting us too much by losing the ball in dangerous areas that allow opposition counter attacks. He is also gangly, so often lacks technique in the tackle.

In short, both are below average choices for our central midfield. If that's what we are looking at as options due to our wide players/attacking midfield purchases, again, I think we are in serious strife.

I'm no fan of Doucoure, but for what we use the midfield for he's fine. Tim is the 4th option unless he proves otherwise. We're not Citeh. We're not even Fulham in regards to our style and what is required.

Onana is the only real contributor that left, Gana won't be at AFCON.

RB is the biggest concern, if Patterson can't win the job we're in rough shape there.

I'm no fan of Doucoure, but for what we use the midfield for he's fine. Tim is the 4th option unless he proves otherwise. We're not Citeh. We're not even Fulham in regards to our style and what is required.

Onana is the only real contributor that left, Gana won't be at AFCON.

RB is the biggest concern, if Patterson can't win the job we're in rough shape there.
LB is also a big concern if Mylenko was injured
CM is also another big concern. We need some flair
RW is also a concern. Harrison doesn't offer enough
Cf is also a concern. We don't have a goal scorer

LB is also a big concern if Mylenko was injured
CM is also another big concern. We need some flair
RW is also a concern. Harrison doesn't offer enough
Cf is also a concern. We don't have a goal scorer

Ha! Good one.

The last three are just your preferences (and perhaps mine, honestly) vs what Dyche needs.

Im open minded mate, im cautious as getting players is one part of the the equation. Danjuma last season a case in point.

What i like overall is the areas we have targeted, we are a very poor attacking team and its the area of the team that needed more options in creativity, im pleased we've identified that with Ndiaye and Lindstrom i hope they can impact, (maybe there are more to come on that score) - both have a bit to prove in the step up. In terms of investment both are the right age and even if they stink the place out you are looking at a return. Harrison - i think we will see a much better season, i was really disappointed with him last season, i know there is a much better player in there then we saw, im expecting a bigger season from him.

O'Brien im a bit cautious about, ive seen him a bit as hes from my neck of the woods, hes a good steady whole hearted player and thats fine, i was surprised to see the likes of Ajax in for him - if im honest ive not seen him prove to be at that level but hes still developing - but thats my take - im a bit cautions on how easy Lyon let him go. But on the opposite side hes made the step up every time hes been asked and i trust Dyche with defenders. So again open minded.

Tim from the clips ive seen really impressed me, not that ive seen him play but there are a couple of technical aspect ive seen in him that i look for in midfielder that have impressed me - as bluestevon was saying the other day - he was a FFP work around - but i think hes a player we have had an interest in for a while.

Overall in terms of bodies in depth and options, im really surprised, i had very low expectations for the window. I do question how we are doing this, i get we raised raised 70 odd and brought in less and what we've saved etc - i also think we're a business that looses 90 mill a year - so how this all works i do have some questions.....but dont want to be a downer while lads are enjoying the drama.

Overall i dont think we're that attractive at the moment, our budget and market is prob sub 20 mill players, so for the ones we got i think they have a fair chance of impacting and helping to recover the club - which is the job of work for the next couple of years. Decent investments we could see a return on.

Of the outs, i think we will miss Onana - i know most dont and i think he was a bad signing overall in terms of what we needed at the time and since - but he was a good player, a player like him you dont realise the impact they make unless you are at the game. he will thrive at Villa. Always liked Godfrey and think he will kick on, but just wasn't fitting and the club needed to mind itself with a return on his contract ending. Dobbin wasn't going to nail a spot here.

Overall, im happy enough with what and where we have brought in, we have tried to address deficiencies in the squad - its a wait and see on the impact, i think the squad looks deeper and more balanced, which is what we needed. Seem good investments at sub 20 mill - so yond be hopeful of a return. In terms of impact on the clubs finances - im not quite sure how we are doing this financially, especially if more come in, so keeping a wide eye on that.

I think the deals we've done have been sensible ones. Weve kept Harrison & added Ndiaye & Lindstom in the attacking midfield / wide areas. O'Brien and Iroegnunam come in as rotation options down the centre.

Unless were gambling on Patterson or Dixon to cement a starting place in the next 12months RB is a concern -- LB a backup also needed.

Again, unless were banking on Chermiti pushing for a starting place we lack a top centre forward.

Still work to be done.

It's even better when you consider the ins are amortized for the length of the contract. So our net spend according to PL accounting rules is substantially lower.

Yes PSR looks good and will help us once the stadium is built and we may be able to grow more revenue streams.

I'm going to be honest. I think the situation is dire.

We have a central midfield that is utterly reliant on a 34 year old Idrissa Gueye, with no one signed to replace Onana in the engine room, as a defensive or central midfielder.

Our starting right back is either an oft injured 22 year old wingback who is defensively suspect and not favoured by our manager, or a 35 year and 39 year old, both of whom have relentlessly been the focus of (often successful) opposition attacking forays last season. I don't consider Mason Holgate an option.

We have one(!) starting quality left back, who is coming back from serious injury. Our only back up to speak of is again 39, and again an obvious weakspot for opposition sides to exploit. I don't consider Mason Holgate an option.

We have a starting striker who is oft injured, rarely scores, and doesn't want to renew his soon to expire contract. We also can't seem to win without him.

I would have thought any funds spent would be in our obvious above positions of need, as opposed to what look to be predominantly luxury purchases to date. To not deal with these obvious midfield/defensive holes first, to me reeks of utter carelessness and irresponsibility.

There's not much point signing wingers and attacking midfielders galore if we can't win the ball in midfield, can't defend on the wings, and can't attack with width because our fullbacks are closing in on 40 and can't run or cross.

For now, centre midfield is 'ok' as Dyche really only needs ball winners in there.

As you say, we need 2 full backs & a centre forward. Alot will depend on selling Maupay, DCL, Beto, Keane and Holgate -- then we can reinvest.

As we were in for Gnonto and the only issue was the size of an upfront payment we should have funds to sign one or two before sales.

I think we might get one more in, late, but it all depends on outgoings as well. Things could be better, but they could be worse also. Deadline day has tended to be very much of a damp squib in recent years. We'll just have to wait and see.
Whatever happens, there will be some significant gaps remaining, that's just par for the course for a club in our position. Expectations are modest and the clubs around us all have much the same type of issues in terms of depth and quality of their squads. We have experience in handling tough and pressurized situations and Dyche has them well organized with good spirits in the camp.

It feels like the more players we sign the more some people are starting to panic. The way I see it from a starting point of a squad that won 48 points we've lost one significant player, thusfar retained the defensive unit that was among the best in the league, augmented it with an extra backup CB, and added a couple of much needed creative options further up the pitch. With in all likelihood at least 2 more signings (even if just loans) to come in.

It's not perfect and it was never going to be but it feels like right now we've done a good job with next to no budget of improving a squad that without the off-field issues, would've been pretty comfortable mid-table most of last season.
I agree with this generally. I think the main angst is from not having the no. 9 position nailed down and going into the season with two geriatric fullbacks.

He was never going to address all the issues we have because there are so many problem areas to fill.
We either had to buy lots of bargains to fill all slots, which would have underwhelmed most people, or sell branthwaite as well as onana to buy half decent players for all those positions. Branthwaite's rightful price tag was not met, and tbh it gives me comfort knowing that we keep the core strength at the back with him in it.
We cant have it all ways guys. Just have to accept it

I agree with this generally. I think the main angst is from not having the no. 9 position nailed down and going into the season with two geriatric fullbacks.
The number 9 issue is that we currently have 4 of them that nobody wants to buy. Theres no money to add a fifth.
Whether we spent money on o'brien instead of a decent right back is definitely up for discussion though

The number 9 issue is that we currently have 4 of them that nobody wants to buy. Theres no money to add a fifth.
Whether we spent money on o'brien instead of a decent right back is definitely up for discussion though

Boyland in his article this morning states that the club feels confident with the full back positions because we have Coleman, Patto, Myko, Young and then Garner/McNeil who can cover if need be. Quite depressing if so because there may be quantity but a severe lack of quality and reliability.

The transfer window has four weeks to go and I think there will be more pleasant surprises coming in and a couple going out, if Dominic is sold there will be a replacement coming in and Maupay leaving as well.

I think and hope we will be worry free this year about going down.

Boyland in his article this morning states that the club feels confident with the full back positions because we have Coleman, Patto, Myko, Young and then Garner/McNeil who can cover if need be. Quite depressing if so because there may be quantity but a severe lack of quality and reliability.
If they are talking about Garner and McNeil being options I wonder if that's more indication 3 at the back will be utilised more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back