Kirkby Called In.

Are you happy with the call in decision?

• Yes

Votes: 62 43.7%
  • No

Votes: 80 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you asleep when our current Chairman was fronting up the GFE effort then?

As for it being a pipedream, any better ideas?

No better ideas no, just realistic ones. Which is why the club will proceed with Kirkby if they can find the extra revenue (probably by surrendering certain items/ownership/rental agreements). If we cant, we will remain at Goodison, probably just installing a few flat screen plasmas and giving the stands a lick of paint, increasing gate receipts by a quid or so while remaining in the same boat as we are now, while Liverpool, Portsmouth etc build new stadiums and outspend us more and more.

But we will just have to disagree Gordon.

I maybe naive, but unlike you, I have no reason to not believe the club. I just dont think the club are purposely pressing their own self destruct button, if it was viable to remain at Goodison, I am sure that is the option the club would take.

But hopefully your right, hopefully Goodison can be revamped and hopefully someone will plough a silly amount of money into the club and somehow make Goodison provide the same revenue as a new stadium would.

Only time will tell.

No better ideas no, just realistic ones. Which is why the club will proceed with Kirkby if they can find the extra revenue (probably by surrendering certain items/ownership/rental agreements). If we cant, we will remain at Goodison, probably just installing a few flat screen plasmas and giving the stands a lick of paint, increasing gate receipts by a quid or so while remaining in the same boat as we are now, while Liverpool, Portsmouth etc build new stadiums and outspend us more and more.

But we will just have to disagree Gordon.

I maybe naive, but unlike you, I have no reason to not believe the club. I just dont think the club are purposely pressing their own self destruct button, if it was viable to remain at Goodison, I am sure that is the option the club would take.

But hopefully your right, hopefully Goodison can be revamped and hopefully someone will plough a silly amount of money into the club and somehow make Goodison provide the same revenue as a new stadium would.

Only time will tell.

so your opinion is the realistic one, eh? perhaps you should consider the possibility that you just may be wrong. none of us know for sure, all we can do is form opinions based upon the little information available & as the club cannot take every possible option we'll never know which is truly the best one. in the end we're all in the hands of the board, we all have to hope they stop [Poor language removed] up & we all have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

so your opinion is the realistic one, eh? perhaps you should consider the possibility that you just may be wrong. none of us know for sure, all we can do is form opinions based upon the little information available & as the club cannot take every possible option we'll never know which is truly the best one. in the end we're all in the hands of the board, we all have to hope they stop [Poor language removed] up & we all have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

Obviously I am going to think my opinion is realistic otherwise I wouldn't have that opinion now would I :unsure:?

Obviously I am going to think my opinion is realistic otherwise I wouldn't have that opinion now would I :unsure:?

I'm hoping both our opinions are realistic... I'd much rather the club had the choice a several good options than a couple of shitty ones :D

Final thought: I think the one thing that gets lost in all of the bickering, is that we all want the best for the Club, we may not agree on what that might be, but our motivations are the same. Be good to each other, and to yourselves.

I'm hoping both our opinions are realistic... I'd much rather the club had the choice a several good options than a couple of shitty ones :D

Final thought: I think the one thing that gets lost in all of the bickering, is that we all want the best for the Club, we may not agree on what that might be, but our motivations are the same. Be good to each other, and to yourselves.

I hope it is, we would all rather stay at Goodison.

Current state simply isn't an option.

In an ideal world, we could afford to properly redevelop Goodison to provide the same revenue stream as a new stadium. I suspect thats impossible though.

GOT......The absolute current footprint of Goodison would not ( without ridiculously high and expensive cantilevered stands ) allow the required capacity to generate the revenue required for the clubs growth. If Goodison is to be redeveloped, some or all of the land east of Bullens Road has to be aquired somehow. LCC could come in very handy there. Im not an expert in anyway shape or form, but I am a real enthusiast with regards to stadium design and architecture. By doubling the footfrint of the Bullens road stand ( It is estimated this would be to about 60 yards in depth ) and following the Tom Hughes idea ( of which I have been in favour of for a long time ) of moving the Gwladys St boundary upto line of the Main Stand north boundary, moving back the Park End boundary with the other South end of the Main Stand side wall, ie, centralising the pitch in line with the main stand and creating a continuous horseshoe stand around three sides, even if the cheapest option of a single tier was utilised, it would be possible to achieve a capacity of between 56 and 60 thousand. Tom Hughes plan also re roofs and modifies the Main stand, eliminating all the obstructed views, where, below the Top Balcony, this entire area becomes executive boxes, corporate entertainment area and media centre and the existing seated enclosure is merged with the remaining seating in the main stand below and infront of the Top Balcony.
To me, this seems like just one obvious solution, there must be others. I, like many am so bewildered and frustrated as to why ideas like these are not investigated by the club and what the costings of such a project might be. It might make pro Kirkby fans think again as it might anti Kirkby fans. But the board seem to do nothing and tell us nothing and offer no alternatives, they only tell us their arnt any. Redeveloping Goodison is impossible ? I dont believe that.

all very well, except you seem to consider that means alternative views are unrealistic even though you don't actually know that to be the case - same as the rest of us.

i'm against the kirkby proposal now, based upon the information available & consider it could potentially lead to the club occupying a white elephant stadium with average attendances in the middling twenty-odd thousands & perpetually stuck in the middle of the second division with little hope of returning to the top flight. however, i don't know that it wouldn't prove to be the platform for everton to progress to being the the top side in world club football.

i'd prefer to stay at goodison & redevelop in phases over a longer period of time. it sounds feasible to me but i don't know that it's not hopelessly fanciful.

i consider my opinions to be realistic, but accept they may be utterly wrong & that others may right. what is clear is that none of us really know & so we should accept the diffrering points of view for what they are, just opinions.

all very well, except you seem to consider that means alternative views are unrealistic even though you don't actually know that to be the case - same as the rest of us..

Dennis something has been lost in translation mate.

I think my opinion with regards to redeveloping Goodison as not being financially viable as realistic, while considering ideas it can be done as not realistic.

Thats my opinion. I just dont think redeveloping Goodison is a realistic idea, now it may very well be, but I personally dont think it is, that is all (y)

Dennis something has been lost in translation mate.

I think my opinion with regards to redeveloping Goodison as not being financially viable as realistic, while considering ideas it can be done as not realistic.

Thats my opinion. I just dont think redeveloping Goodison is a realistic idea, now it may very well be, but I personally dont think it is, that is all (y)

you may be right, i wouldn't consider myself qualified to judge what's realistic in that context. there seem to be people who do claim to be qualified arguing both sides, so it doesn't really become any clearer.

i do wonder whether we've reached the point where there are actually no realistic options under the current board of directors. perhaps we'll have to wait & see if there will be changes at board-room level & then what seems to be realistic may change.

The relief comes from pure sentimentality. I started watching in 1960 at the age of four in the street end, propped on the old white wall behind the goal. I watched all the teams from then to now with all the triumphs and disasters. So I'm more than attached to Goodison - it's part of me and who I am. Uncles, my father and my grandfather left part of themselves at the Old Lady. My son - I had hoped - will do the same. I'm not going to apologise for regretting the possible passing of that story

I know that money talks these days and we have to generate more funds to compete but my sadness at the idea of leaving GP is based purely on my emotional ties to the place.

I also recognise that others are more pragmatic than me. Or are younger and have fewer happy memories tied up in the place. So they are perhaps more excited than me at the thought of our new stadium. I hope that I can coexist peacefully with all those shades of opinion - we're all evertonians after all.

So don't go bonkers if I resurrect an old idea. Our ground move appears delayed at best. Liverpool are apparently struggling to fund their grandiose plans. So I have a dream (this is my Martin Luther King moment). I dream of a state-of-the-art ground with Prince Rupert's Tower in one corner and a Liver Bird in the other. On consecutive weekends, two teams with a long history of passionate yet friendly rivalry do battle on the pitch. For over a hundred years, they've coexisted within yards of each other - now they share the same home.

If that's to become a reality both clubs - and their supporters - will have to GROW UP. This solution is more economical, greener and more balanced. What's more, it will preserve the unique closeness of the two clubs - a thing worth keeping in this day and age.

What's the chances of this happening? Almost zero, I fear, but I can hope.

Disagree with me if you wish. But I'm not a 'melt' or a tosser. I'm an Evertonian to my fingertips, just like you.

Sound post trebilcock66. I understand feeling relieved at the possibility Kirkby is well done and dusted, especially if you just believe Goodison Park could be given a gradual makeover.

For a groundshare to take place this would need to happen:

1. lfc's ground plans need to collapse into dust.

2. Our leaders would need to get involved from the get-go on any follow-up ideas for a groundshare in Liverpool.

The groundshare idea would work if we came into the deal as an equal partner with full control over any revenue we generate from our matches and an equal share in any special events taking place at the ground outside of our football schedule.

But if we were to come crawling on our knees to Hicks and Gillette, we would end up being like serfs or sharecroppers with RS playing the role of Lord and Master over our future for as long as their stadium existed.

If lfc ever had a need for Everton money to get their ground done, then that might be a good negotiating tool to gain a groundshare guaranteeing our financial independence. But they are so far down the road of development in a financial sense that I can't see where they would need us now.

I think GP can be fixed up, but I believe the leadership's main issue rested in the difficulty of rehabilitating GP in one fell swoop. They wanted this done in one set period of time. With Kirkby looking distant at the moment, they must at the very least look to Goodison and see if they can accomplish in gradual fashion the quick fix they were seeking.

I'll say it again why the hell the 2 clubs cant come to some agreement over a groundshare is frankly beyond me

Neither club has the massive ammounts of cash for the stadiums and really its about time the boards of BOTH clubs started to realise this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back