Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I think they'll be useful for three to four seasons. But regardless, you didn't read what I said. Any of what I said in fact.

I said if we're actually ambitious, we shouldn't be worrying about buying potential to sell on at a profit. We need the finished article now to improve us - that's what Giroud and Sigurdsson are.
Why do we need them now. Do you honestly think we will win anything even with Giroud and Sigurdsson in the team?

We will play almost half the season with Martina as our starting RB and a 33 year old Williams as our CB.

We are miles of the top 6 and taking Arsenal's (the closest team to us) fourth choice striker and Swansea's best player isn't going to change that. Even with loads of money Rome can't be built in a day.

We needed at the start of this season to buy players who will be reaching their peak in a couple of years that are available now so later a Giroud or Sigurdsson would be the final piece.

Ironically we were in a better position last summer to do that but not now.

Can see the scenario next season....every game we don't win will be same people saying if we had Lukaku and Barkley we would have won it. Any game we win would have been won with more goals. It's going to be a hard season on GOT
Yep, Lakaku wanted out and treated us like something he'd just stood in, and like you say, people will still mention him, the big fat lazy selfish ungrateful overgrown infant.

Yep, Lakaku wanted out and treated us like something he'd just stood in, and like you say, people will still mention him, the big fat lazy selfish ungrateful overgrown infant.
Lukaku was the best player we have had in 20 years. A guy who scored 20 goals a season for 4 years and who we tripled/quadrupled our money on.

It wasn't his fault the board seriously dropped the ball last summer. He was simply too good for us now.

There's nothing throwaway about this feller's comments. He has an intended target for every comment he makes.

He's spent £100M so far. Time for him to take some responsibility for his idiotic overspend and getting mugged off by two-bit clubs because they knew they were dealing with an impatient Everton manager who refused to bargain them down. They took us to the cleaners and now we have to wait on Barkley and others to be sold to start spending on key positions.

Did you moan when a certain clown spent roughly the same amount but got 11th and 12th in a row? Mugged off by two-bit clubs...Do you mean Wigan or some SA club. £13.5m Niasse £13m McCarthy £9.5m Funes Mori £6m Kone all were big money at the time but your beloved one was mugged off but you did not shout out loud dave back then.

Mugged by Wigan...to buy two average-below average players...£20m in 2013 what is it now? £45m?

Last edited:

Bedwetters FC.
He's been told money is no object. He wants players in to win something tangible this season- Sigurdsson & Giroud would likely help this than a first team in development. We've been pissin & moaning that our young players needed experienced heads/winners in the squad

Money is really a object though

I can't believe people are still crying about the two headed serpent
Because they know him leaving has effectively destroyed any plans we had to break into the top 4/CL for the foreseeable future.

Ultimately he gave us at least a year longer than I thought he would so I won't complain.

Why do we need them now. Do you honestly think we will win anything even with Giroud and Sigurdsson in the team?

We will play almost half the season with Martina as our starting RB and a 33 year old Williams as our CB.

We are miles of the top 6 and taking Arsenal's (the closest team to us) fourth choice striker and Swansea's best player isn't going to change that. Even with loads of money Rome can't be built in a day.

We needed at the start of this season to buy players who will be reaching their peak in a couple of years that are available now later a Giroud or Sigurdsson would be the final piece.

Ironically we were in a better position last summer to do that but not now.

We need them now because we have an abundance of talented kids who need experienced heads to learn from and play off. A Lookman will benefit from the ability of Giroud to create space for him to exploit. Calvert-Lewin gets to play and train with an expert at holding up play, making half a yard in the box etc. A Sigurdsson offers the outball to lads like Davies and the ability to run beyond and develop their box to box game, and creates the long term squad shape for the likes of Dowell to come in to.

It's about balance. No, we won't win anything right now, but with the right balance we start to develop a squad that can win in the future. You can't do that if you're constantly buying talented 21 year olds and hodge podging them into a side hoping for the best with the end goal being to sell them on inside three years.

Because it doesn't work. Youth success isn't a great indicator and the big clubs are already buying up the more or less sure fire hits like Mbappe and Jesus for big money and giving them first team football. Even players like Sanchez and Deulofeu etc have failed so far to live up to the hype.

If you are going to go the youth route then we need to give them a pathway into our first team.

We should have copied the Monaco and Ajax model and hired Frank De Boer instead and gave him time.
There IS a pathway to the first team
It's called the under 23 team
Look at the players in the current set up who came through it

We need them now because we have an abundance of talented kids who need experienced heads to learn from and play off. A Lookman will benefit from the ability of Giroud to create space for him to exploit. Calvert-Lewin gets to play and train with an expert at holding up play, making half a yard in the box etc. A Sigurdsson offers the outball to lads like Davies and the ability to run beyond and develop their box to box game, and creates the long term squad shape for the likes of Dowell to come in to.

It's about balance. No, we won't win anything right now, but with the right balance we start to develop a squad that can win in the future. You can't do that if you're constantly buying talented 21 year olds and hodge podging them into a side hoping for the best with the end goal being to sell them on inside three years.
Kids?

Dowell, Davies and Lookman are the only ones I think have a chance of being good enough for us.

Again. Don't fall into the trap or basing too much on youth success.

It's far better to have one star in your youth team than a star team.

Basically when it comes to kids it's best to take the attitude of wait and see. To do otherwise is unfair pressure.

If you are right then it's still far cheaper to buy good coaches.

Because they know him leaving has effectively destroyed any plans we had to break into the top 4/CL for the foreseeable future.

Ultimately he gave us at least a year longer than I thought he would so I won't complain.

One man does not make a team; Lukaku destroyed our chancers by only turning up when he felt like it and his trampoline shins sent balls into orbit.

I'm more than confident that our team will be stronger and more effective come the end of august

Yep, Man U's brilliant class of 92 is a case in point. They also had lots of experience in that side.

Difference between January and now is that the sympathy wont all be with him on the matter. Most blues' reaction to yesterday's comments was to do a double take and wonder wtf he was complaining about.

I said it earlier: he is now playing the second instalment of a very dangerous game in openly casting aspersions about the the club's squad investment. If we dont get good results and and he plays that hand again he'll be hurtling toward the exit.

You dont buy a dog for close on £7M per season and expect to be continually bitten by it.

I think hes jumped the gun a bit, still a month left to get players in. He obviously has felt the need to go public for a reason though. We've seen it with Barkley that he likes to apply pressure through the media.
I wouldn't have said he was complaining, more like just challenging them to show some ambition. Nothing wrong with that. We had a lapdog in moyes and we hated it, now we have someone who is not scared to take the board to task. Its a good thing, providing he gets results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back