Last Film You Watched

That whole sequence of when all the memories of Jake's rescue start coming back to him was quite intense.

Definitley never seen that in a Guy Ritchie movie before. I think he's starting to learn that not all films need a witty, smart ass, one dimensional cockney gangster to make it good.

It reminds me very much of the first Sicario film, which is rare praise.

It reminds me very much of the first Sicario film, which is rare praise.
Now that you mention it... Yes, I can see the similarities.

Benicio del Toro at his best, who, surprise surprise, was in 'Snatch'!

But that's probably just a coincidence.

Ad Astra ... good cinematography but a 5 minute plot stretched into over 2 hours with unnecessary uninteresting mumbling emotion/psychiatric based dialogue as is the modern way.

Worth avoiding if you value living.
That's the one with Brad Pitt, right? Who was also in 'Snatch'?

And Tommy Lee Jones as his father, the same Tommy Lee Jones who had to hunt Benicio del Toro in 'The Hunted'?

Curiouser and curiouser... 🤔

Last edited:

Just having a little watch of Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Was thinking about the new one and how the guy who played John Taggart was still kicking around. He was born in 48.
He was 36 years old when this film was made
View attachment 210657
36 years old.
One of those extremely good character actors who was born middle aged. He's amazing in midnight run

Just having a little watch of Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Was thinking about the new one and how the guy who played John Taggart was still kicking around. He was born in 48.
He was 36 years old when this film was made
View attachment 210657
36 years old.
I rewatched the first 2 last week - such good memories of my childhood, still properly chortled at a couple of scenes

Evil Dead Rise

Nothing to do with the series really (finding the book doesn't really constitute a link) - I thought this was entertaining, bloody and visceral modern horror

I watched it last night, and I thought it was absolute toilet. Wildly inconsistent in terms of any rules or plot, completely unimaginative and uninspiring deaths, basically just a bunch of people slowly encountering things and staring off behind the camera.

It makes no sense from beginning to end and I felt it was written, produced and directed by a group of utter morons with no business bring in the sacred halls of filmaking. Bruce Campbell would be turning in his caboose.

I watched it last night, and I thought it was absolute toilet. Wildly inconsistent in terms of any rules or plot, completely unimaginative and uninspiring deaths, basically just a bunch of people slowly encountering things and staring off behind the camera.

It makes no sense from beginning to end and I felt it was written, produced and directed by a group of utter morons with no business bring in the sacred halls of filmaking. Bruce Campbell would be turning in his caboose.
You're talking like the Evil Dead series is sacrosanct - the first film is a genre definer, but the second film is a straight copy of the first with extra goofiness and Army of Darkness is a throwaway comedy that really hasn't aged well

That's how most 36 year old Everton supporters look these days! 🤣

Got this one lined up to watch next:

MV5BMmZiN2VmMjktZDE5OC00ZWRmLWFlMmEtYWViMTY4NjM3ZmNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI2MTc2ODM3._V1_.jpg

Looks good... Looks really good!
The sec I saw that post , reading 'Mommy Loves You To Death'

It Reminded me of this freaky documentary called 'Mommy Dead and Dearest'
Bloody crazy Doc !!

( Dunno why posting this reply as has nothing to do with the film, but hey, gives you a good doc to watch aswell )

You're talking like the Evil Dead series is sacrosanct - the first film is a genre definer, but the second film is a straight copy of the first with extra goofiness and Army of Darkness is a throwaway comedy that really hasn't aged well

Nah I can't even actually remember the other films.

As a stand alone Horror film I'd expect some semblance of a realistic framework for the plot to create a set of (however loose) rules. This sets up the film to follow, recreate and even breakdown the 'rules' and allows the characters to get to the end of the film with a way to beat the baddie. Sure, this is supposed to be a gore-fest, trading on cheap effects to create a horrific experience and make you squirm in your seat, but this film fails on a very basic level. Any sense of dread or horror is shredded with a demon or whatever it is that makes absolutley no sense, flying about to invade someone yet it can't seem to get though a door for half the film.

They've blatantly ripped so many other films to create a bunch of nonsense that conveniently ends up slowly making its way into a woodchipper. Its a pity the script didn't end up in there first. Or maybe it did and that's what happened on set.

Nah I can't even actually remember the other films.

As a stand alone Horror film I'd expect some semblance of a realistic framework for the plot to create a set of (however loose) rules. This sets up the film to follow, recreate and even breakdown the 'rules' and allows the characters to get to the end of the film with a way to beat the baddie. Sure, this is supposed to be a gore-fest, trading on cheap effects to create a horrific experience and make you squirm in your seat, but this film fails on a very basic level. Any sense of dread or horror is shredded with a demon or whatever it is that makes absolutley no sense, flying about to invade someone yet it can't seem to get though a door for half the film.

They've blatantly ripped so many other films to create a bunch of nonsense that conveniently ends up slowly making its way into a woodchipper. Its a pity the script didn't end up in there first. Or maybe it did and that's what happened on set.
I didn't love it - but I just think that my standards towards modern horror films have been eroded to such a low level nowadays. To me, Blumhouse has completely destroyed modern horror - turning it back into a rubbish, jump scare genre instead of generating the creeping dread that the best horrors instill into the viewer

For every The Witch, It Follows or Saint Maud there are a dozen Insidious or Annabelle clones

I didn't love it - but I just think that my standards towards modern horror films have been eroded to such a low level nowadays. To me, Blumhouse has completely destroyed modern horror - turning it back into a rubbish, jump scare genre instead of generating the creeping dread that the best horrors instill into the viewer

For every The Witch, It Follows or Saint Maud there are a dozen Insidious or Annabelle clones

I don't mind when they are done well, and with Evil you cant really fault the make-up or effects as one plus. Modern horror really suffers from a lack of creative deveolpment. So many films - and this one included get to a point where they just revert to becoming tired old tropes. Films like Smile and Barbarian for example - You get invested in the them until they just run out of puff halfway through and wrap them up with a tired, boring ending with characters doing the dumbest things possible.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back