• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

League of Ireland 2024

Rovers may have thrown in the towel in the League, but a great European night for LOI football as they beat Celje 3-1 (3-2 on agg) aet, and St Pat's beat Sabah of Azerbaijan 1-0 away (2-0 on agg).

Rovers now face PAOK in the play-off for Europa League Group stages. If they lose, they go into the Europa Conference League Group stages. Guaranteed minimum €3.1M - that is massive for any LOI club.

St Pat's are now in the Conference League play-offs and hopefully will make it through against Basakehir of Istanbul. Likely they will play their home leg in Tallaght which should be a sell out.

KOH!!

I hate RTE apart from Lyric FM. Grossly overpaid arrogant egotists both those in front of microphones and in management.

Taxpayers left to bail them out, on top of paying license fee, so they can continue to live it up.

:mad:

I hate RTE apart from Lyric FM. Grossly overpaid arrogant egotists both those in front of microphones and in management.

Taxpayers left to bail them out, on top of paying license fee, so they can continue to live it up.

:mad:
Rovers and the rest of the loi need to tell rte to fu&k off, they have no interest in the league and just want to fill screen time with egg chasing and big ball. Another good reason to tell them where to stick their licience fee, utter farce we are forced to pay for the total crap they churn out.

Rovers and the rest of the loi need to tell rte to fu&k off, they have no interest in the league and just want to fill screen time with egg chasing and big ball. Another good reason to tell them where to stick their licience fee, utter farce we are forced to pay for the total crap they churn out.
Tax payers having to bail out those grossly overpaid Muppets was really sickening.

Tax payers having to bail out those grossly overpaid Muppets was really sickening.
See rte want to screen Rovers home game versus Sligo a big opportunuty to tell them to get stuffed, really hope they do. On Rovers, big day today with the draw and how it works may see a couple of winnable games, huge as they are worth in and around 400k. Still dont understand signing of Mandriou more so contract till end of season, what then?? If it was a couple of years could understand. Its just blocking progress of young players.

What a shambles at Dundalk although if i recall correctly one Dundalk fan here, didn't have much sympathy for Cork City when they went down back in 2020!

Still though the last thing we want is for a club with their history and tradition to hit the wall.

Grim times at Oriel Park. Essentially players and staff haven't been paid for a couple of weeks. Rumours that players were told to find a new club.

Dundalk not just heading for relegation but liquidation. Such mismanagement after a period of such dominance and success.

I also think the league of ireland standard has fallen off despite increase in attendances (supposedly). Shels are top but were one of the poorest and most negative sides I've seen at Oriel in years. Galway, Waterford and Sligo in the top 5 in the table but never consistent. Derry are bankrolled but still have never come close to winning a title. Rovers have slept walked through recent league titles.

The FAI and the government must take some of the blame for the poor standard of domestic and now international football. GAA receives far more funding, grants and supports but is an amateur sport. If proper investment isn't made at a grassroots level, we're in danger of drifting into the abyss. European efforts this season haven't been great...Rovers got some lucky draws and at least guaranteed more games. But the new uefa system does not favour LOI and it is becoming harder and harder to progress each year.

Oh man, I hate Dundalk, like RS level, maybe more...
But they have till 5pm today to raise 1.5m euros or it's liquidation.
And not a 'tomorrow it's Dundalk 2.0' liquidation.
It's to late for any new version of them to get a license for next season.
The league has gotten a lot better but this is terrible for Irish football.
I really hope they pull through (and get relegated :) )

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back