Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the logic in thinking Baines will only have 3-4 years of top class football left in him so we should sell.

Baines hasn't played a great deal of football for someone of his ability. He was on the bench a lot when he first joined and hasn't played a great deal of international football, He has also only ever played locally. If you compare this with say Henry or Cahill who seemed to drop off alarmingly at 32 amongst others, they have travelled the globe playing almost non stop football. The travel and lack of rest will take it's toll eventually.

Baines could go on at current level until his late 30's. We would be mad to sell him for anything less than 25 million and even then he is such a fabulous down to earth guy I would be gutted to see him leave Everton.

The only way Everton will sell Baines is if United offer something crazy (ie £30 million). Or if Baines asks to be sold. Think Lescott & Rooney - yes we sold them... but only because BOTH asked to leave us.

The only way Everton will sell Baines is if United offer something crazy (ie £30 million). Or if Baines asks to be sold. Think Lescott & Rooney - yes we sold them... but only because BOTH asked to leave us.

exactly... and both were willing to disrupt the club's stability to get a move. something I just don't see any of the current crop doing. at least not the ones that matter. I would imagine two sales we didn't really want to do over ten years is way way below average.

SAF lets Moyes know that he's retiring; tells him to run down his contract - no compensation.
Moyes joins United.
Moyes offers a derisory amount for our best player.
Everton have to reply and say he's not for sale.
This forces a transfer request.
United get our best player on the cheap - in the region of £14-15 million

Played Bill. I think is the 'rape' you refer to.

I don't understand the logic in thinking Baines will only have 3-4 years of top class football left in him so we should sell.

Agreed......there would be logic if he were a good to average player, but you don't look at the best left back in Europe as a depreciating asset. He is hugely important to the team.

SAF lets Moyes know that he's retiring; tells him to run down his contract - no compensation.
Moyes joins United.

We got Saha and Gibson suspiciously cheap. I fear we may be about to give payback.

This inferiority complex has only arrived since Moyes and Bill took over. Even when we were ****e in the 90's we didn't allow other clubs to bend us over, we still had abit of pride in our heritage. In the last 10 years we have allowed Utd to belittle us at every opportunity including Moyes rolling over at Old Trafford every season and lapping up Fergusons praises afterwards.

If you don't respect yourself no one else will and that mentality has finally caught up with us. A younger fan of football would have no idea of the history, size or achievements of Everton Football Club because we have told no one in a long time.

Bang on this. Moyes if anything, made us come across as small time in any crunch match, which I always believed was to cover his own potential failings rather than that of the club. For all of our lack of finances, tell people you are important and eventually enough will take note. Look at Dortmund. They were drifting into obscurity until Klopp took over and transformed them on very little money. But he talks them up to be in no way inferior to Munich. I hope Martinez speaks highly of us in the media and sees no reason why we cannot challenge for titles let alone top 4. Liverpool do it every season so why shouldn't we.

I doubt very much that a bid would have been made if there was no indication that there was a will to sell.

Up until now we've always needed to sell but it seems like the tv money means that we're in a better position, unless the interest in Fer and Negredo was ingenuine. Given that we've been broke for so long maybe Moyes is testing whether Bill will be tempted to further secure our future? Maybe, knowing that BK is a sly businessman, he'll think that £6m+ profit on a 28 year old will make him think twice. Maybe he's hoping to unsettle Baines? Maybe he knows that the chairman isn't always true to his word? Or maybe he's just taking a punt to see what happens?

Moyes joins United.
Moyes is reported as making a derisory amount for our best player from the same media who said he was already sold last summer.
Everton decide to reply and say he's not for sale at any price.
Player gets on with things
Everton fans keep moaning
Baines scores winner in FA cup final against Moyes' United and ruins their last chance of a trophy

Moyes joins United.

In that scenario, not sure what he could have done TBH. Cant force Moyes to sign a new contract. Cant stop Utd bidding. Cant stop Baines asking for a move. Can only hold out for top money.

United did not make a 12 million bid for it to be accepted, they will be hoping for Baines to push the transfer through. And, in the end, just like Rooney and Lescott he will ask to leave.

Moyes is playing the game, he has the aces up his sleeve while Bill Kenwright has an 8 and 2 off suit. We are going to get played like a fcuking piano.

The wriggle room on that is if Baines puts a transfer request in. But even if he did, that's still a very balls on the table statement from the club, so if they come out of this with less than between £20-25M they are going to look like a pushover. And as others have reminded us today: "Everton dont sell cheaply".

Even if Baines didn't want to move the club would still say that it was down to the player, saying that we couldn't deny him CL football at this stage of his career and what a great servant he'd been to the club.

Moyes joins United.

it's kenwright's fault united bid for our player? or is it his fault baines has asked for a transfer request (in your scenario). i don't get your point whatsoever

http://www.teamtalk.com/premier-league/8795716/Report-Toffees-snub-Baines-bid

Baines shouldn't be sold at all. And I think of it this way, if Moyesy was still in charge, what value would he have on Bainesy's head?. I can bet it wont be between £10-15m!.

He's taking the p!ss with that opening bid of £10-12m!. Moyesy knows full well he's worth a hell of a lot more!. 27 years old, just about to become England's No.1 LB and he's one of the best LB's in world football yet Man Utd think he's only worth £12m or more, there having a laugh!.

... even if the club say they don't want to sell, Baines will slap in a transfer request because he hates the club. then he will tell the rest of the squad that Martinez is a nightmare. They will all put in transfer requests, then Kenwright will sell them all because he wants to get back at moaning fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back