Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I will be thrown to the wolves for saying this but 20m might actually take us forward in this sense. If we sell Baines and Felli then there is more chance Roberto will be able to imprint himself on the side and I feel as though the best we played this year against a team that was also quality and up for it was when we played 3-5-2 against Totts when we had suspensions.

I was all for the idea of not selling Baines and Fellaini. And thought if one goes then we must keep the other and it seems its inevitable that Fellaini will go because of his clause. But I just saw Baines turns 29 this year. This gives him 3 seasons, possibly 4 at max of playing at the top level. Would it be better for us to keep him and get no return on him. Or if Man Utd come in with a bid of over 15 million then should we just cash in?

Our squad is ageing and its quite worrying. Distin, Osman, Hibbert and Pienaar are all ageing and will need to be replaced. I'm sure we are in a situation where we have to sell to buy and I believe if we give Martinez time he will need 2-3 seasons to stamp his mark on the squad. Would it not be better to cash in now on Baines and inevitably Fellaini as well as heitinga and therefore give Martinez around 45 million to spend to reshape the squad in his own way.

Our players he could use to build the team around are Coleman, Gibson, Barkley, Mirallas. We only really have those 4 players who are of good enough quality who could be part of a team Martinez can build for the next 5-6 seasons. With 45 million Martinez could buy 3-4 more players who could add to those 4 players for the future. Young quality players such as Mccarthy, players with sell on value who can improve the club. I dont see any benefit at all in buying Aruna Kone for 6 million when we can only get a few seasons out of him.

This idea would mean we may be a mid table side for the next few seasons but it would be in the best interests in the clubs longer term future

Love it when journos say moving to United will increase his chances of playing regularly for England. He's getting plenty of looks now and when Cashley Cole is your only competition, there's no need to move.
But Sore-Assed Bill will shed the crocodile tears when the bidding reaches, IMO, 15 million, letting Baines go and mumbling something about not wanting to stand in the lad's way.

He weighs about 5 stone and tackles like the 7 year old kids I coach.

Baines is no physical presence either mate. I like the look of Oviedo, good touch, pace, can pick out a pass. He's been playing on the wings due to necessity and like with Coleman it's probably a good way to get him used to the pace of prem football.

Again, should write a disclaimer that Baines is lightyears beyond Oviedo though.

Who would you have then? If we sell Bainesy then I say go for Shaw or Davies.

Shaw's a good shout although I reckon he might get loaned back to Southampton from Chelsea some time soon. Not sure on Davies. If looking abroad I'd possibly go with Siquera or Cissokho. Sadly whoever we get will be a step down. Alex Sandro would be boss but probably too expensive/unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back