Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Didn't Moyes also say he was helpfully getting all the files and data together to present to the new manager to make his job a lot easier in transition? I wonder where stripping away the club's best player from him for a pittance fits into all that?

"Here's all your paper work Roberto...by the way, turn around, here's a knife for your back".

I do enjoy reading your posts mate, but you have got your knickers in a bit of a twist over this one.

It's called the transfer system, its there for a reason.

Forget that Moyes was at Everton, he is Man U's manager now and simply wants the best left back in the country. Just as Martinez will want to buy players for his team that he thinks can do a good job for him.

Of course the opening offer was silly, and it got the short sharp shrift it deserved.

I really think all this bitterness towards Moyes is a bit silly.

Would Moyes make a bid for Baines, and not exactly hide it, if he hadn't at some point discussed with him the possibility of moving to OT? Seems unlikely Moyes is just chancing it...

I'd prefer him not to go, even for 15-18m. Not only would it be near-impossible to get an equally effective player, but imagine what it would do to the team. What would it say to the likes of Barkley, Coleman etc? Martinez's big task this summer was to cultivate a mentality that we're able to push forward and progress, that losing Moyes doesn't mean slipping down the league. It would be terrible for the morale of the squad if the first thing Martinez does as boss is say goodbye to our best footballer.

Sell Fellaini, who performs every other game at best. There's a wealth of talented CM players out there we could buy for half the fee. Don't sell the player who's performed excellently every game for two seasons and has never expressed any desire to leave. Show some balls.

I do enjoy reading your posts mate, but you have got your knickers in a bit of a twist over this one.

Forget that Moyes was at Everton, he is Man U's manager now and simply wants the best left back in the country. Just as Martinez will want to buy players for his team that he thinks can do a good job for him.

Of course the opening offer was silly, and it got the short sharp shrift it deserved.

My only concern regarding Moyes is....Why did he not extend Baines contract in January as he did with Jags, why leave the best LB in the prem, have only 2 yrs left on his contract?

Would Moyes make a bid for Baines, and not exactly hide it, if he hadn't at some point discussed with him the possibility of moving to OT? Seems unlikely Moyes is just chancing it...

I'd prefer him not to go, even for 15-18m. Not only would it be near-impossible to get an equally effective player, but imagine what it would do to the team. What would it say to the likes of Barkley, Coleman etc? Martinez's big task this summer was to cultivate a mentality that we're able to push forward and progress, that losing Moyes doesn't mean slipping down the league. It would be terrible for the morale of the squad if the first thing Martinez does as boss is say goodbye to our best footballer.

Sell Fellaini, who performs every other game at best. There's a wealth of talented CM players out there we could buy for half the fee. Don't sell the player who's performed excellently every game for two seasons and has never expressed any desire to leave. Show some balls.

Can't argue that out of the 2
1. We would get more for Fellaini than Baines
2. Fellaini would be easier to replace than Baines.

However, the lure of CL football is always going to be very strong for top players.

My only concern regarding Moyes is....Why did he not extend Baines contract in January as he did with Jags, why leave the best LB in the prem, have only 2 yrs left on his contract?

Now that is a very valid point.

However, as we don't know the situation with that I cannot even be bothered speculating.

He's at the richest club in the world with all the talent out there at his disposal but he chose to come back to the club who gave him a leg up to the big time - and paid him a kings ransom to be here - in order to strip away what he knows to be our best player on the cheap The fact he's come in with £10-£12M limits how much further north their bid will go. He'll take Baines for a snip and he knows it.

If objecting to that makes me bitter then mark me down as bitter.

I have nothing but contempt for him.

He's at the richest club in the world with all the talent out there at his disposal but he chose to come back to the club who gave him a leg up to the big time - and paid him a kings ransom to be here - in order to strip away what he knows to be our best player on the cheap The fact he's come in with £10-£12M limits how much further north their bid will go. He'll take Baines for a snip and he knows it.

If he takes Baines for "a snip", then that will be 100% the fault of the the people running the football club, not Moyes.

Baines is under contract for 2 more years, at the peak of his game and should command a premium. If they fail to see it that way, then they are in the wrong job (which we already know they are incidentally!).

Me too but im pretty sure Moyes (and most managers) doesnt set the transfer fees at his club. He has probably been asked who he wants, he says Baines and the clubs money men do the rest.

Me too but im pretty sure Moyes (and most managers) doesnt set the transfer fees at his club. He has probably been asked who he wants, he says Baines and the clubs money men do the rest.

Agree but Moyes knows Kenwright's limits, it's only a matter of time. :/

If he takes Baines for "a snip", then that will be 100% the fault of the the people running the football club, not Moyes.

Baines is under contract for 2 more years, at the peak of his game and should command a premium. If they fail to see it that way, then they are in the wrong job (which we already know they are incidentally!).

Thought Moyes had the final say in player contracts?

Well, I'm certainly not going to defend the nobheads who've destroyed this club, they should do their jobs in these circumstance of course. But that issue is discrete from the one surrounding this low bid from Moyes. He's the one who stated we dont sell cheap and established that in the media, but chooses to take the piss with an insult like that.

I wonder how many people who clapped that feller off last game of the season for his lap of *honour* would have done so if they'd known he'd be back in for Everton's best player 6 weeks later with a pisstake bid?

Somehow I cant see SAF in the past allowing a suit like Gill or Kenyon to price what he thought was value for a player. I see no reason that the most knowledgeable person in the world about Baines - his ex-manager for the past 7 years - would defer to David Gill or anyone else on that bid.

*Moyes didn't know* is a very shaky explanation for the £10-12M insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back