Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because he chooses to gamble on an attack whether it be through tactics or design, doesn't take away the fact it's a choice that leaves our defence vulnerable and wanting after conceding a goal.

You can argue that it isn't as bad because there is a deliberate choice to place his defence in jeopardy through attempting to instigate a successful attack, but the end result is the same, Baines' attacking actions make a defence more vulnerable to conceding a goal, and that is what the United fans are wary of, and why many people don't think of him as a great defender.

It's not his choice.

You're either stupid, never actually played/watched football, a WUM, or all three at once.

Either way, you're massively entertaining - like the Everton Forum in a microcosm, or - as someone once said - "it's like Damon moved to Southend". Kudos to you.

Haha that was me, and its 100% spot on if this thread is anything to go by.

It's how Leighton Baines plays football.

It's how he played before he came to Everton, how he played when he was at Everton, how he plays for England, and how he will play for United if he moves there.

Forget it. Forest, trees and all.

This is also about keeping players who have helped build us up over the years and also how they represent themselves and this club. Quality wing backs (because that's really what he is) are notoriously difficult to find. A player like this should be kept at all costs, especially considering the mindset of the manager now at the club. Roberto needs to step up and remind Moyes that he can [Poor language removed] right off and that we've moved on and so should he. It's also time for Jags to put on his armband, as it were.

Im not convinced he will win anything.

I think Fergie gave them an extra 20% on the pitch, the squad they have, a few gems apart, RVP, Rooney, Kagawa, on his day, is utter turd and unless he signs some players of real quality, Baines, I think he will really struggle.

Yeah It'll be down to what he does this summer.

Bagging that Thiago lad and maybe Baines improves things. Keeping Rooney keeps them in good stead. But he'll need a big name to show he's in business.

Forget it. Forest, trees and all.

I think it was a fair point to be honest, Leighton Baines has never played in any other fashion.

It's fair enough to argue that his gambles in attacking play are worthwhile overall, but I think it's rather stupid to deny that his attacking play doesn't result in him providing less protection for his defence.

I think it was a fair point to be honest, Leighton Baines has never played in any other fashion.

It's fair enough to argue that his gambles in attacking play are worthwhile overall, but I think it's rather stupid to deny that his attacking play doesn't result in him providing less protection for his defence.

You're right, it would be rather stupid.

It's a shame that isn't what you have said up until right this minute.

You're right, it would be rather stupid.

It's a shame that isn't what you have said up until right this minute.

Take a look at the top of the page, that's at least one instance of me trying to explain to you how his attacking play results in him providing less protection for our defence, and I believe there are additional instances in the previous pages.

You've already admitted that this is the case, the difference is that you think it excuses him of any weakness because it's a tactical decision, whereas I see it as unique part of Leighton Baines game which he will continue to employ whatever team he plays for, and that it is a detriment to his game which you cannot get away from.

Well perhaps Utd fans should be more worried about how Moyes will employ Baines, and not his actual quality. I mean if I was your manager and I said "you go stand up that end of the pitch" what do you think your job within the team is?

My point is yes we may concede more down the left but at the end of the day its down to how the gaffer told him to play... and most likely how previous managers have too. because fact is he is S**T hot going forward. It would be like telling messi to go play at centerback... A complete waste of talent.

Just saying.

Not that I think there was anything wrong with how he plays for us, defensively of otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back