Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only stats you can really compare are individual percentages. Things which take into account the whole team (clean sheets etc) are irrelevant as Baines plays for a team that doesn't dominate possession or win nearly as many games.

It's obvious that Baines is a more prolific crosser and a more accurate one, and you can see that with your eyes. I don't think I've ever seen Evra or Cole (or any fullback in the prem) make the precision passes and crosses Baines does regularly. His assist count was way down this year but his accurate crosses stat is still high, leading me to think that it was just our gash finishing. Cahill's sudden impotence in front of goal is no coincidence.

At the end of the day people have their minds made up already. I'm astounded by the amount of people outside of our fanbase that rate one or both of Evra and Cole above Baines, and often they seem to back up these opinions with phrases like "international class" and "world class", which because of their fundamental subjectivity make them impossible obstacles to cleanly hurdle in an argument. I honestly think people let media opinions fill in the blanks within their own opinions, but I can live with that. I know how good Baines is, and if no one else thinks the same, well I honestly could not care less. So long as he remains an Everton player.

The fact is that in the majority of tactical systems used by better sides a full-back's attacking ability will be more important to his side than what he can do going backwards.

People have used the CL as a case for cole, but the fact is Chelski couldn't attack because they never had many outlets or players that are truly comfortable with the ball, Baines is both and would have provided both for a side like them.

For that reason Baines is a far more valuable player than Cashley.

The only stats you can really compare are individual percentages. Things which take into account the whole team (clean sheets etc) are irrelevant as Baines plays for a team that doesn't dominate possession or win nearly as many games.

It's obvious that Baines is a more prolific crosser and a more accurate one, and you can see that with your eyes. I don't think I've ever seen Evra or Cole (or any fullback in the prem) make the precision passes and crosses Baines does regularly. His assist count was way down this year but his accurate crosses stat is still high, leading me to think that it was just our gash finishing. Cahill's sudden impotence in front of goal is no coincidence.

At the end of the day people have their minds made up already. I'm astounded by the amount of people outside of our fanbase that rate one or both of Evra and Cole above Baines, and often they seem to back up these opinions with phrases like "international class" and "world class", which because of their fundamental subjectivity make them impossible obstacles to cleanly hurdle in an argument. I honestly think people let media opinions fill in the blanks within their own opinions, but I can live with that. I know how good Baines is, and if no one else thinks the same, well I honestly could not care less. So long as he remains an Everton player.

Nailed it.

Backs off TOO much !

I know what they should do ffs !

You lost all right to comment about "knowing" anything once you said "backs off too much" - it's incompatible with "i know what they should do." - It's called giving them no angle to attack past you or get a CLEAR cross in & it's about a combination of staying close to your centre half whilst (if you can) pushing them into the bye line - so the backing off is about staying close to the centre half & pushing them out is when the opportunity to do so presents itself.

You lost all right to comment about "knowing" anything once you said "backs off too much" - it's incompatible with "i know what they should do." - It's called giving them no angle to attack past you or get a CLEAR cross in & it's about a combination of staying close to your centre half whilst (if you can) pushing them into the bye line - so the backing off is about staying close to the centre half & pushing them out is when the opportunity to do so presents itself.

Hhhm yeah, just what Baines did against Robben !!!

Man city sold Adebayor on the cheap, so if we get good money for baines I wouldn't mind Kolarov think he's decent and might get him at a good price, plus some money left over

The potted plant that I named Leighton appears to be dying without explanation. I fear that can only portend ill tidings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back