Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Kentight has said WHOEVER we sell for WHATEVER PRICE, Moyes will only be able to spend 50% of the transfer fee anyway, so if we sell one of the best LBs in the prem for a measily £8m we will get £4m to replace him with. Now i know Moyes can sniff out a bargin (history proves) but its BS that the board can pocket 50% of any transfer fee.
LCAB, THT, Sheedy etc haven't mentioned it and LCAB said he thinks Moyes would have anything we got for Baines to play with. Even if it was true the board wouldn't be pocketing anything. I'm all for having a go at the board, but saying that is just stupid. There isn't a chance in hell of us selling Baines for £8M anyway.

Ferguson has said that he had to let Fabio go out on loan because Evra is hardly ever injured, so the young Brazilian wasn't getting any game time. Logically they would need either a journeyman who doesn't mind not playing, a youngster with less of a pressing need for first-team football or a utility player to act as cover. It would make no sense for them to spend so much on a fullback in his prime unless they were moving Evra (their captain) on. And if that was the case, why would they let their back up go out? It doesn't add up.

He's also said Evra is 31 and not able to play consistently at a high level, so that's why they're looking at a replacement.

Hasn't he even dropped behind Clichy for France?

If Baines is that good, hell play. Fergie has no issue with dropping his big name players if someone else can do a better job.

I'm still under the impression Baines is scared to move. If it was to a Spurs etc, id fully understand him saying no. But he's turned down one of the giants of world football.

Legendary status indeed and I'm a fan of what he's done. But I'd love to see him lift a premier league trophy than seeing a bunch of over paid and classless mercenaries (citeh) do it.

Why is showing loyalty to the club that WE - US! - support described as him being 'scared'?

I just can't get my head around this illogical idea that him showing loyalty to the club that pays him handsomely is supposed to be something you can knock him for.

He's turned down 'one of the giants of world football' because he is very happy and content at Everton. Surely that isn't too hard to understand - especially for an Evertonian?

Staying at Everton will not harm Baines' international prospects, as he'd still probably be behind Ashley Cole in the pecking order for England, even if he did go to Utd.

Would I like to see him lift a trophy? Yes - FOR US. Not for anyone else. I don't care what anyone else does. I'm not of this 'oh he deserves it; we're s***, let him go and win something because he's dead boss' school of thought.

I support Everton Football Club, both vociferously and rather more importantly, financially every season. Part of my money (a small part, admittedly) pays his wages. 95% of players break their contract vows at some point during their careers. The 5% that don't should never ever be criticised. The easy thing is to move clubs, not stay, especially if you are a good player who is in demand.

Enough of this 'he's scared' nonsense. That's the sort of excuse/reasoning a Utd or non-Everton fan would give for his decision.

Why is showing loyalty to the club that WE - US! - support described as him being 'scared'?

I just can't get my head around this illogical idea that him showing loyalty to the club that pays him handsomely is supposed to be something you can knock him for.

He's turned down 'one of the giants of world football' because he is very happy and content at Everton. Surely that isn't too hard to understand - especially for an Evertonian?

Staying at Everton will not harm Baines' international prospects, as he'd still probably be behind Ashley Cole in the pecking order for England, even if he did go to Utd.

Would I like to see him lift a trophy? Yes - FOR US. Not for anyone else. I don't care what anyone else does. I'm not of this 'oh he deserves it; we're s***, let him go and win something because he's dead boss' school of thought.

I support Everton Football Club, both vociferously and rather more importantly, financially every season. Part of my money (a small part, admittedly) pays his wages. 95% of players break their contract vows at some point during their careers. The 5% that don't should never ever be criticised. The easy thing is to move clubs, not stay, especially if you are a good player who is in demand.

Enough of this 'he's scared' nonsense. That's the sort of excuse/reasoning a Utd or non-Everton fan would give for his decision.

We can all guess at his reasons for staying all day long but none of us will actually know.

But if a player turned down us to go to Sunderland even on the same wages people would be saying he'd made a career mistake and had no ambition, and was happy to waste his career away at a "lower" club etc etc.

If Baines wants to stay here instead of United great. I'm not gonna blow smoke up his ass and call him a legend though, i don't care why he's staying here (if he actually is) or why he turned down United, its not important.

We can all guess at his reasons for staying all day long but none of us will actually know.

But if a player turned down us to go to Sunderland even on the same wages people would be saying he'd made a career mistake and had no ambition, and was happy to waste his career away at a "lower" club etc etc.

If Baines wants to stay here instead of United great. I'm not gonna blow smoke up his ass and call him a legend though, i don't care why he's staying here (if he actually is) or why he turned down United, its not important.

It doesn't take much of a genius, or some insider info, to work out that if you stay somewhere, you must be happy at that club.

The fact is that Everton don't pay the top wages either, and he could easily earn more elsewhere too, not just at Utd.

I don't think anyone is a 'legend' for not breaking their contract or staying loyal to the club that pays them handsomely. It's small mercies that should be taken for granted; sadly though it is a rarity these days.

Regardless of the reason, I'm really glad to see Baines stay. There's few things more important in football than a strong defence, and now we've taken steps towards sorting out the striker issue that had plagued us for a while, it's important we keep/build the defence, and I think Baines is a major part of that.

Hopefully that's the last of it, and it doesn't rumble on for the rest of the summer.

I was thinking more in terms of a new contract.

A takeover? Yeah, maybe....

It doesn't take much of a genius, or some insider info, to work out that if you stay somewhere, you must be happy at that club.

The fact is that Everton don't pay the top wages either, and he could easily earn more elsewhere too, not just at Utd.

I don't think anyone is a 'legend' for not breaking their contract or staying loyal to the club that pays them handsomely. It's small mercies that should be taken for granted; sadly though it is a rarity these days.

Well yeah, by all accounts he's happy at Everton and thats why he wants to stay.

Not because he feels a sense of "loyalty" to the club, not because he thinks he can do better career wise here than United, not because he is getting paid more and not because he's an Evertonian the same way us fans are.

He's a rare breed these days who are happy to stay playing at a club where they are happy to play. Good for him and i'm glad he's staying.

But if (for exapmle) a Sunderland player turned us down to stay at Sunderland for the same reasons as Baines people on here would be calling him allsorts and saying he had no ambition and all that. But this just shows why thats bollocks really.

Maybe Leighton Baines just wants to play for Everton , here's hoping anyway , I think it's great watching him play football for us , we'd be a long time waiting for a better left back to play for us if he was to leave .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back