Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully so. Maybe he has been assured that the club board has ambition and will to push the club forward or something like that...money for Moyes etc etc.
what a wonderful Evertonian he is.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahha

Ahahahahhahahahahahiahahhahahahah
H
ang on et me get my breath.......oh no good..

Hahahahahahahoahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Maybe Bainsey has been promised something.

or he's an evertonian that likes playing for everton. i know that wasn't enough for rooney but i presume it would be enough to a vast majority on this forum should this chance arrive for them.

Real Madrid next year, NAILED ON.
If he'd gone to O.T. then that would never happen.

ha probably the last club in the world that would need him. would be pretty pointless to buy a 3rd choice left back

This figure of £8 million being quoted, where's it come from ?
How odd that that figure is now headline news in the 'Metro',always the first of the rags to have a pop at Everton.
Is there any connection ?:blink:

Why is showing loyalty to the club that WE - US! - support described as him being 'scared'?

I just can't get my head around this illogical idea that him showing loyalty to the club that pays him handsomely is supposed to be something you can knock him for.

He's turned down 'one of the giants of world football' because he is very happy and content at Everton. Surely that isn't too hard to understand - especially for an Evertonian?

Staying at Everton will not harm Baines' international prospects, as he'd still probably be behind Ashley Cole in the pecking order for England, even if he did go to Utd.

Would I like to see him lift a trophy? Yes - FOR US. Not for anyone else. I don't care what anyone else does. I'm not of this 'oh he deserves it; we're s***, let him go and win something because he's dead boss' school of thought.

I support Everton Football Club, both vociferously and rather more importantly, financially every season. Part of my money (a small part, admittedly) pays his wages. 95% of players break their contract vows at some point during their careers. The 5% that don't should never ever be criticised. The easy thing is to move clubs, not stay, especially if you are a good player who is in demand.

Enough of this 'he's scared' nonsense. That's the sort of excuse/reasoning a Utd or non-Everton fan would give for his decision.

But its logical. That's all I'm saying. Putting out both sides of the argument.

But until he's proved to able to take on the best in the world, its hard to label him up there with the best full backs in world football imo...no matter how much I rate and believe he can and is, until its done its always gonna be up in the air.

It's like a heavyweight boxer saying he's the best fighter in the world but never fighting the heavyweight champion of the world to prove it.

I'll repeat, I'm very happy he's staying. I just like to discuss and debate things

But until he's proved to able to take on the best in the world, its hard to label him up there with the best full backs in world football imo...no matter how much I rate and believe he can and is, until its done its always gonna be up in the air.

It's like a heavyweight boxer saying he's the best fighter in the world but never fighting the heavyweight champion of the world to prove it.

I'll repeat, I'm very happy he's staying. I just like to discuss and debate things

baines obviously doesnt care whether he'll be labelled as a great left back etc. maybe the only thing that matters to him is becoming a great evertonian, something which he will achieve if he stays with us throughout his career at the same level he's currently at. something which i would 100% do the same if i were in his position.

I appreciate what you're saying. The thing is though, maybe he - like most Evertonians - realises that on our day we are a match for anyone, and if all the stars are aligned right for us and luck is in our favour, we are more than capable of having a very good season indeed. We are only a player or two short of really being able to challenge for a top 4/5 place properly.

Will he ever win the league with us? Under the current financial restrictions and climate, no. That's not a reason to move though. Believing that you have to move to Man Utd to fulfill all your sporting dreams is just years of propaganda being swallowed. Yes, they are a great club who have done phenomenally well over the past 20 years. But there is something to be said for how you are perceived after you retire - the 30/40 odd years after he's finished playing. That's a very long time to be either regarded as a hero/legend, or simply be regarded as an ex-player. Sometimes a legacy is more important than achievements. It would be nice to have both. The former can be gained through longevity and perseverance (just look at Hibbert), the latter is no shoe-in.

Baines can still be regarded as a great player and one of the best LBs even if he stays with us. The boxing analogy doesn't fit, because that isn't a team sport, where a truly great player can play in a less than great team. Doesn't mean he's any less of a player though.

kenada is micky quinn off talkshoite

Dont like the way they always use that term 'bigger clubs'. There are only 3 clubs that are bigger than Everton in English Football one of them being a team he wouldnt ever join.
What they should say is 'better team', just because a team has money and can challenge for honours doesnt make them bigger than us i.e. Man City and Chelsea.

We're rightly mentioned in the Sunderland/Fulham category. This is what we've become under these people.

We're rightly mentioned in the Sunderland/Fulham category. This is what we've become under these people.

Dont like the way they always use that term 'bigger clubs'. There are only 3 clubs that are bigger than Everton in English Football one of them being a team he wouldnt ever join.
What they should say is 'better team', just because a team has money and can challenge for honours doesnt make them bigger than us i.e. Man City and Chelsea.

Dave, while I see your point, I have to come down on the the side of martslinger.

With Baines staying and hopefully pienaar back (see the mammoth thread), I reckon we've a good chance of Europe and that's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back