Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, if Baines wanted to move to United, I would hold nothing against him. Best LB in Europe, deserves to be playing Champions League football and will no doubt be England's first choice if he moves to United. Saying that, I won't be happy if we sell for any less than 17m or so.
Who gives a **** about CL football which had ruined football as a sport.

why is everyone surprised by this?

moyes knows him as a player and a person, utd linked with him before moyes went there. so there was always going to be a bid!!

and the reported £12m is too low fume fest! what are utd supposed to do? bid £50m then negotiate down ??

moyes knows what we will except!

the fume should come if/when baines hands the transfer request in! tapped up all day long!

Were looking at losing our best player, I suppose they have to fume at somebody and Moyes is the man.

Is the 12 million net of the 60k we paid Moyes this week?? I honestly can't believe this situation, going in for old players is pretty common, but doing so with insultingly low bids WHILE STILL UNDER CONTRACT with the old club is a whole other level.

This makes me wish that when the offer for United was announced, we had told Moyes his options were either to buy out of his contract or to wait 6 weeks, but that while he was under contract he did not have permission to speak to any other clubs. People say that the "gentleman's agreement" to not go for our players may not even exist, and if it did it's not binding. Well the only reason he's allowed to collect paychecks from 2 clubs is because Everton decided to do the gentlemanly think and allow him to agree terms with another club while still collecting a paycheck from us.

12 million? my god I hope the ginger tw@t continues his winless streak at Old Trafford next season.

I wouldn't blame Baines for having his head turned, he's obviously good enough to play champions league football and truly challenge for trophies, but I hope it's evident to him how classless this is and he stays out of principle (I can dream right?)

Honestly though, if Baines was smart I think his best move would be to not sign a new contract and see how things play out with Martinez. If he's not happy next season he can go for cheap with only 1 year left on his contract, and I honestly wouldn't even be bothered at that point.

Weren't minor Bavarian outfit Bayern Munich trying to sign him?

True, but they never committed. With the likes of Juve, PSG, Chelsea, throwing coin about etc... No one but United and Bayern at a push have shown much interest from what we know over the past 3 seasons.

Hell, it's only been this season when the whole "Ashley Cole or Baines" thing got binned in media circles.

The way i see it is that Baines is a top class player at a club that can't compete with the big boys. There were always gonna be offers coming in for him. Its no suprise to me that Utd have come back in for him, especially as Moyes has managed him before. He's hardly gonna stand by and let one of his rivals snap Baines up out of respect for Everton.

12 million is a joke but were not gonna sell him for that, anything less than 25 mill and we've been ripped. Ive got a feeling it'll be bout 18 mill.

With Lescott going for 24, 18 million would have been a fair test-the-water bid for a player like Baines. 12 million for one of if not the best left backs in Europe is an insult, plain and simple

Doesn't look good does it? However the only bit of hope we have got is that baines loves playing for us and is worshipped by the fans. I might be wrong but he doesn't seem the type to me that will hand in a transfer request. A big statement from the club is needed. They have said baines isn't for sale, they must honour this. Can you imagine what Martinez must feel, only spoke to baines last week (according to baines he is looking forward to working with Martinez) and vice versa and our best player is sold. Hope the fans who gave moyes a standing ovation at the last game of the season are happy that he has put in such a derisory insulting bid, whilst still be payed by us. A united friend of mine called the bid embarrassing as he and everyone knows he is worth considerably more. Kenwright although saying in that interview the day Martinez got the job said to moyes "don't come back for baines". Well bill forgot to say unless you offer us 15m obviously.

Maybe we should show our contempt for the derisory offer by putting our own bid in for Rooney. Say we'll give them £8m cash or £10m plus Anichebe. Alternatively send them lines from the Monty Python & The Holy Grail film with the French guy in the castle - "I spit in your general direction" "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" etc.

We do sell players at high prices dont we?

Cant really remember the last time we had our pants pulled down over a transfer

Maybe Rooney

True, but they never committed. With the likes of Juve, PSG, Chelsea, throwing coin about etc... No one but United and Bayern at a push have shown much interest from what we know over the past 3 seasons.

Hell, it's only been this season when the whole "Ashley Cole or Baines" thing got binned in media circles.

But how many have come in for Cole?

Seriously, if he'd agitated for a move the whole of Europe would have been queuing round the block trying to get a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back