Liverpool Echo & Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the whole "we are listening - and we do care..." thing to be just a load of patronising bs. Those angry Evertonians are at it again, bless.

EDIT: yet again today the 'Recommended on the Echo' and the 'Recommended on Sport' are all Liverpool links, literally them all.

double edit: everything i've written has already been said.

Last edited:
They're as crass as that organ. They portray Liverpool (the city) as a gangster-ridden, drug-taking, scam-making, tan-faking cess pit.

Maybe they haven't had the same treatment meted out to that other paper because of the way they've backed LFC to the hilt?

Well they have been called out big time by the other half of the city's football base and they are currently wriggling on the end of the hook they made for themselves. They've neglected or insulted Evertonians for years and now the reckoning is here.

Pressure needs maintaining on this lot. Even now in their 'apology' they're taking the piss with the emphasis on on 'some Evertonians'. I'd urge anyone registered on that site to get on the comments section of that Thompson piece to tell them what they think of their patronising rubbish for a kick off.

Make no mistake though, they are struggling for space now; backed into a corner over their 100% backing for an Everton FC regime that's determined to see Everton remain trophyless for decades to come.
Spot on about the portrayal of everyday life. They write it as though the city is just a concrete extension of Cream Fields, to the point where most of the articles come across as borderline insulting.

Also, this bloated response from Thompson wasn't even well-written, which makes it all the more annoying. If I'm going to be treated with contempt, I at least want it to be articulate. The journalists at the Echo are absolute hacks.

Would the whole situation have been better if they had come out and said the lack of news and the pro board etc reporting is simply to get actual news come from the club as a mouth piece? Somewhat a double deal, club gives them latest news to run off for the evening and echo don't question things.

To be anyway that would at least settle the situation down a little bit than complete denial
That's the deal. The Echo is simply regurgitating the OS news plus an odd couple of trip down memory lane pieces from Prentice and a piece on whatever is trending on Everton forums. It's all very safe and anodyne.

In distinction, the Liverpool FC reportage is laced with commentary and articles that question the governance of that club any time it threatens to de-couple from being serious contenders for a place at the English domestic top table. They mobilise supporters and lead the way by critiquing the situation from that vantage point.

Anyone who denies that is a complete fool or is hiding something (a la Thompson in his 'rebuttal' last night).

That's the deal. The Echo is simply regurgitating the OS news plus an odd couple of trip down memory lane pieces from Prentice and a piece on whatever is trending on Everton forums. It's all very safe and anodyne.

In distinction, the Liverpool FC reportage is laced with commentary and articles that question the governance of that club any time it threatens to de-couple from being serious contenders for a place at the English domestic top table. They mobilise supporters and lead the way by critiquing the situation from that vantage point.

Anyone who denies that is a complete fool or is hiding something (a la Thompson in his 'rebuttal' last night).

aye i agree.

My point is though if they were forward about it rather than deny any bias in the first place. It would surely mean the challenge to them would be not of a lack of coverage but more explicit coverage instead. Really shot themselves in the foot with this one i think, a little bit of honesty would have gone a long way with the resentment of the paper.

aye i agree.

My point is though if they were forward about it rather than deny any bias in the first place. It would surely mean the challenge to them would be not of a lack of coverage but more explicit coverage instead. Really shot themselves in the foot with this one i think, a little bit of honesty would have gone a long way with the resentment of the paper.
I think you're on the right track there. That Thompson response last night was a clear tactic to tie the debate up in terms of volume rather than quality or investigative reporting of Everton from them. Nobody would dispute the sheer volume of articles devoted to unsubstantial issues (usually a repetition of what's on the OS, btw). But they are - and he knows it - pathetically uncritical of Everton from a governance perspective. It was a very disingenuous piece from Thompson designed to throw a bit of confusion over the matter of the Echo's coverage of the club.

The only worthwhile thing he wrote in his article was that they won't back a change if they don't know what's to come. Well that's everyone told then that we will be treated vastly different on that score than their massively preferred project of making sure LFC are competitive.

The Echo have no credibility where this club is concerned though. They need to either just STFU about the matter or change their policy on providing a service to half its readership. They're call.

Last edited:

I am not surprised one bit with the response from John Thompson. For far to long John Thompson has sat and done nothing except keep the status quo for himself and the club.

The echo need to get rid of John Thompson and tell Everton football club from this point onwards that there words and actions (both formally and in private) are a matter of public record for the readership of the paper. That reporting will not be sandbagged, delayed or censored unless they legally required to do so and this will be shared with it,s readership.

The echo had dropped another 12.5% in terms of circulation with the latest monthly numbers just out and it will continue to do so until it sweeps from the top of the stairs downwards.

Here you go mate

Liverpool_fan_crying.gif

I am not surprised one bit with the response from John Thompson. For far to long John Thompson has sat and done nothing except keep the status quo for himself and the club.

The echo need to get rid of John Thompson and tell Everton football club from this point onwards that there words and actions (both formally and in private) are a matter of public record for the readership of the paper. That reporting will not be sandbagged, delayed or censored unless they legally required to do so and this will be shared with it,s readership.

The echo had dropped another 12.5% in terms of circulation with the latest monthly numbers just out and it will continue to do so until it sweeps from the top of the stairs downwards.
They're obviously petrified of running a sports department where half of its staff are forbidden use of official club news...and also the revenue from ads from the club deserting them.

Still, as you say, they are a bust flush business wise in any case, and in the case of everton supporters a bust flush in terms of credibility. They have a decision to make what's for the best: persevere with the status quo or try and add some real balance to their coverage - something they would do in a heartbeat if this were liverpool supporters on their case.

No more editorial kow-towing to the club; no more employing ex pros like Snodin and especially Horne to kiss Bill's arse; no more accepting of failure to win silverware; no more silence on the financial issues of everton that would cause a storm of critical articles if this were a public sector organisation rather than a private company.

They're obviously petrified of running a sports department where half of its staff are forbidden use of official club news...and also the revenue from ads from the club deserting them.

Still, as you say, they are a bust flush business wise in any case, and in the case of everton supporters a bust flush in terms of credibility. They have a decision to make what's for the best: persevere with the status quo or try and add some real balance to their coverage - something they would do in a heartbeat if this were liverpool supporters on their case.

No more editorial kow-towing to the club; no more employing ex pros like Snodin and especially Horne to kiss Bill's arse; no more accepting of failure to win silverware; no more silence on the financial issues of everton that would cause a storm of critical articles if this were a public sector organisation rather than a private company.

indeed, the employment of the ex pros whom serve no purpose other than to control the news cycle in case of bad PR should not be underestimated.

All roads lead back to John Thompson.

"We’ve been accused of bias and loving Liverpool FC more than Everton. Not only is that untrue, it would be ludicrous, outrageous and unacceptable if it were.

Why then did they get in touch with many fans groups and ask them what they are doing wrong?

My thought on that is if you dont like the answer then dont ask the fecking question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back