2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
We absolutely don’t hold all the cards. We lost all leverage the moment FSW very publicly ostracised Digne.

Irrefutably true. The reality is we may have lost him this season/in the summer anyway, may not have, but the way it's played out in public has quite clearly weakened our negotiating position.

Defensively no great miss, going forward yes a bit of a miss. I just didn’t want him to go to a PL team, especially one that I consider as a rival.

Same he was brilliant the first few seasons. He does have issues defensively at times but as an a modern attacking left back he can be really good. Benitez falling out with him likely hastened him leaving by six months. We do have to turn the squad over and we get two full backs in exchange.
If the owner is sticking with Benitez we have to get rid of the players that don’t like his style, most will get on with it but some will kick off, so if them and the manager are going to fall out best they leave. 28 we still get a decent fee for him so we move on and continue to rebuild.

Not so sure. He recently signed a new contract, so why would he suddenly have a change of heart? I think benitez is 100% behind him wanting out.
Good point. I think he signed when Carlo was still around.

My opinion, his change of heart could be when Carlo left, Benitez came in and then Brands left. The fallout was right after Brands left (or sacked). I think the desire to leave was there, just being hasten by the public fallout and Moshiri backing Benitez. I would say a major factor will be Brands (which is Benitez's doing, so I guess majority is still Benitez)

Whether it's the best thing for the club - to me, definitely no. There are possibly many different ways Benitez could've handle it better.

I think Digne will likely be like Gana. Played very well especially early on, then when he didnt play up to his standards every match fans became too footy-manager-esque and whiney, and then after they are gone for a year or so start to realize how the team would have been better off to still have them.
I dont think Ganas form ever really dipped. He was always top class. Some fans just didn’t appreciate what his job was and wanted him pinging 70 yard diagonals and scoring rockets. It was ridiculous that anyone thought we’d benefit from him moving on. Digne has been more hot/cold but he’s still a top player. New guy might be good but he’s not at that level yet.

I think Digne will likely be like Gana. Played very well especially early on, then when he didnt play up to his standards every match fans became too footy-manager-esque and whiney, and then after they are gone for a year or so start to realize how the team would have been better off to still have them.
I wonder what it is like to have supporters not get all emotional and lie to themselves about a player's ability when they leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back