Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronaldo wanted to leave United for a "bigger club". De Gea will follow him in the next year or two.

Bale wanted to leave Spurs for the same reason.

Ditto the Rat at the pit.

Any number of Arsenal players from Van Persie to Fabregas to that wee French bugger whom went to Citeh and whose name escapes me right now wanted to move to a "bigger club".

James McCarthy wanted to move to a "bigger club".

Moral?

There is a food chain in football and only two clubs at the very pinnacle of it are immune to having their players agitate for a move to a "bigger club".
I agree entirely with that. I'm merely making the point that you need in football to be diplomatic. at all times.

This needs to be put to rest now and not have enemies of our club (internal as well as external) profit from it.

By suggesting it's a stepping stone club to something better...the very definition of being diminished.

I'm not getting OTT on this, I cant see the point, as what he's said all those other Everton players think too...and let's have it right - players at Liverpool are also looking to get a move to bigger clubs...it's not just us who suffer this.

But he should have exercised more diplomacy.

I got the feeling that him going back to Chelsea gave him this sense of "some day I'll play in a stadium like this, with players like this, with fans like this"

Clearly doesn't get it here.

You can twist the statistics any way you want - Jelavic has never hit double figures in a single season in the premier league, whereas Rom scored 15 goals and then 17 goals in his first two consecutive seasons of first team premier league football, for two different clubs. Jelavic is 29 years old and has just had the best years of his career, Rom is 21 and his goal scoring record already puts Jevalic's to shame.

As for Danny Ings, Charlie Austin and Harry Kane, they may be on good form at the moment, but so were Andy Carroll, Grant Holt, etc, when they were scoring for fun. It doesn't always last. Some players will go on to be great, others will fade. Rom has a great record over the last 3 years. He's not the finished article, but you are making comparisons to "flavour of the month" players, whereas Rom has already proved he has consistency and won't fade.

But his consistency has already faded this season, to the point where he is performing at the same level as Jelavic, and you don't have to twist the statistics in order to prove that point.

Kane and Ings are at a similar age to Rom and they all have similar goal scoring records, I'm not sure why Lukaku is being deemed a guaranteed future superstar that doesn't lose any consistency, whilst Kane and Ings are being dismissed as flavour of the month?

What an awful season this has been. The bad form, tactics, players turning on the club and manager, fans booing subs and tactics, Barkley too scared to play, now Lukaku throwing his bit in.

After being delighted he signed at first, I'd be made up if he went for anywhere near 28m at the end of the season. He needs to play with a partner upfront, or play in a system where he has more support. He's awful on his own (I'm fed up of hoping he can at least trap the ball without losing it)

Basically he's wasted here because the manager won't play this way, to his strengths.

The only thing that will save a mass exodus in the summer is the Europa league trophey.

I can't see it happening, bad times ahead

Happy Friday everyone! :pint2:

What an awful season this has been. The bad form, tactics, players turning on the club and manager, fans booing subs and tactics, Barkley too scared to play, now Lukaku throwing his bit in.

After being delighted he signed at first, I'd be made up if he went for anywhere near 28m at the end of the season. He needs to play with a partner upfront, or play in a system where he has more support. He's awful on his own (I'm fed up of hoping he can at least trap the ball without losing it)

Basically he's wasted here because the manager won't play this way, to his strengths.

The only thing that will save a mass exodus in the summer is the Europa league trophey.

I can't see it happening, bad times ahead

Happy Friday everyone! :pint2:

Spot on

Don't get when things go bad they think they deserve a chance at a bigger club. You are the players on the field with the ability to show how good you are. He has literally been one of our worst players this season and obviously thinks he is above us. How can you literally play so terrible and still say something like that, its delusional?

There are two major issues at work here and it is important not to confuse the two:

1) The player has shown complete disrespect to the club and the fans. People are entitled to be upset with him. Not many clubs in the Premier League have paid £28m for a single player. His disregard for our historical status is incredibly annoying, especially when he's been at the club 18 months now. You'd like to think that the 'Everton bug' had bitten him by now, but clearly it hasn't, and by virtue of his comments, it clearly never will because he doesn't see us that way. It's like a girl going out with a fella for 18 months, thinks he's the one, gets ready for the marriage proposal, only to hear her fella calling her a minger and a stepping stone when he's amongst his mates. But what else should we expect from a foreign mercenary anyway? A 'top club' these days is a club that pays £250k a week to their best players.

2) Everton may not be a 'top club' in the current era, in that we aren't in the Champions League and don't have a foreign billionaire bankrolling us. The definition of a 'top club' means different things to different people. Yeah, we haven't won a trophy for 20 years. Liverpool haven't won the league for 25 years - are they not a top club? They've barely won anything in the last 10 years since their CL miracle/fluke - an FA Cup and a spawned League Cup on pens vs a Championship side is all they have. More than us like, but it's hardly a dynasty is it?

People need to swerve the 'I agree with Lukaku because it gives me carte blanche to have a go at the board' viewpoint. By all means have a go at the board, but don't make out Lukaku is some kind of Che Guevara figure delivering an unpalatable truth. He's a disrespectful mercenary who clearly has no real bond or love for the club. The fact his form is adequate but hardly record breaking or notable this season makes his comments laughable.

Last edited:
I got the feeling that him going back to Chelsea gave him this sense of "some day I'll play in a stadium like this, with players like this, with fans like this"

Clearly doesn't get it here.
I dont know about that. It suggests to me he knows he's had to take a step back in his career to move forward again and he's responding to questioning from back home regarding his ambitions.

It's a mistake to have said it...they all think it though...and as said, not just at Everton but any player who's not at Chelsea and City - the only two English clubs who a player could genuinely say they were in the big time with.

@BoysInBlue

Has it spot on.

I think Lukaku's a great player, and i love him, but you can't say stuff like that and expect not to be lambasted, it's a plain stupid thing to do! I think it only speaks volumes of how much things can change in a year, it was only 10 months ago that we tore Arsenal a new one, and Lukaku was sprinting towards Martinez. Eto'o, Mirallas and now lukaku, have spoken out about moving on and causing morale worrying scenes, only go to show that not everything is all too 'rosey' at the club.

I don't really know where we're going as a club at the moment, but it's very concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back