Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
His post does make sense considering the amount of staff that have left under Martinez, although again they were Moyes' staff so it doesn't surprise me; Steve Tashjian seems particularly missed this season with the players looking off the pace altogether.
So, good players remain good players when the team is not performing, yet a good manager is a bad manager and the cause of all the issues?

So, good players remain good players when the team is not performing, yet a good manager is a bad manager and the cause of all the issues?
Tbh I have never really been a fan of Martinez and I think he was carried by Moyes' staff last season; Basically creating a Moyes/Martinez hybrid.

Finally got a good young striker with heaps of potential and you lot are trying to flog him after a few months!

Yes he has a gash first touch and is very frustrating at times but play to his strengths and he will flourish.

Martinez is the reason he's not doing well

He's a [Poor language removed] though

Tbh I have never really been a fan of Martinez and I think he was carried by Moyes' staff last season; Basically creating a Moyes/Martinez hybrid.

Fair enough .....but surely you saw a massive difference last year? Our away performances and the fact that we actually went away with the intent of winning was a huge improvement on Moyes days. Every time we travelled under Roberto we expected the team to be positive.....under Moyes we knew it was all about staying in the game till late on and then trying to grab a winner.

Good players can play badly does not make them bad players, they always have that skill. One cannot say in the case of a manager if he is good or bad it depends on the results after a period of time. Look at Walker we had him labelled as a bad manager which he was here but he came from a club where he had success.

Fair enough .....but surely you saw a massive difference last year? Our away performances and the fact that we actually went away with the intent of winning was a huge improvement on Moyes days. Every time we travelled under Roberto we expected the team to be positive.....under Moyes we knew it was all about staying in the game till late on and then trying to grab a winner.

It's interesting really I remember going to the Celta Vigo game? (the first pre-season game) at home and it was incredibly boring to watch, we were sluggish and off the pace: My Grandfather actually said "I hope we don't play like that every week, it is like watching Mike Walker again. I hope he proves me wrong".
Of course we did pretty well last season so he kind of pushed me towards 'liking him' more, but at the same time I thought that the Moyes effect could have carried his tactics a little defense wise- as well as the fact he actually started a balanced team with 2 wingers. His signings that summer were great but also wasted- Kone out for the season and Alcaraz going to less places than a disposable camera (I'd add Joel considering I don't rate him either, but he is still pretty young and gkers' peak later on). On the other hand though Del Boy, Barry, McCarthy and Lukaku were extremely good additions to the side.

The problem I have is this season we have looked like Martinez's first home game, every home game. And whilst we did sign Lukaku and Barry on perm deals he hasn't added enough to the squad to cope with the Prem & Europa league, and similarly doesn't seem to know what his best team is.

With Moyes granted it would feel like the draw was the minimum benchmark, but I would much rather a draw than a loss; whenever we go 1-0 under Martinez I just can't see his team fighting back into it; maybe it is the fact that Martinez doesn't feel like it is his formation/tactics that are at fault.

Edit:I don't think Martinez is a bad manager however and I think if he brought someone in (Steve Round ;) or Irivine) to work on the defensive side of things we could return to the form of last season again.

Last edited:
Good players can play badly does not make them bad players, they always have that skill. One cannot say in the case of a manager if he is good or bad it depends on the results after a period of time. Look at Walker we had him labelled as a bad manager which he was here but he came from a club where he had success.

My point is players AND managers are fallible and have good and bad periods, but currently some Blues seem content on just focussing on the Managers form....the players, other than the easy targets like McGeady, Distin and Osman, get a free run.

My point is players AND managers are fallible and have good and bad periods, but currently some Blues seem content on just focussing on the Managers form....the players, other than the easy targets like McGeady, Distin and Osman, get a free run.

So true, I'm sure Distin and McGeady could accumulate a decently sized lynch mob currently. I think it is wrong that people focus in on McGeady or Distin after we have lost just because they were in the team, when in actual fact other players have been just as poor.
Distin got slated after one particular match on the radio home this season, but from my point of view Jags was worse.

Those 3 players in m y book are rubbish never had a free ride from me especially Osman.

So true, I'm sure Distin and McGeady could accumulate a decently sized lynch mob currently.
Valued forum member @kithnou has done a lot of analytic work on McGeady's season with us. I was surprised to read just how good he actually is . I recommend all volunteers to the lynch mob get a copy of kithnou's work prior to enlisting

Valued forum member @kithnou has done a lot of analytic work on McGeady's season with us. I was surprised to read just how good he actually is . I recommend all volunteers to the lynch mob get a copy of kithnou's work prior to enlisting
No that's what I'm saying I'm a huge fan of McGeady starting and I think we play better when we have actual wingers on the pitch as opposed to Barkley or Naismith (on wing positions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back