Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting really I remember going to the Celta Vigo game? (the first pre-season game) at home and it was incredibly boring to watch, we were sluggish and off the pace: My Grandfather actually said "I hope we don't play like that every week, it is like watching Mike Walker again. I hope he proves me wrong".
Of course we did pretty well last season so he kind of pushed me towards 'liking him' more, but at the same time I thought that the Moyes effect could have carried his tactics a little defense wise- as well as the fact he actually started a balanced team with 2 wingers. His signings that summer were great but also wasted- Kone out for the season and Alcaraz going to less places than a disposable camera (I'd add Joel considering I don't rate him either, but he is still pretty young and gkers' peak later on). On the other hand though Del Boy, Barry, McCarthy and Lukaku were extremely good additions to the side.

The problem I have is this season we have looked like Martinez's first home game, every home game. And whilst we did sign Lukaku and Barry on perm deals he hasn't added enough to the squad to cope with the Prem & Europa league, and similarly doesn't seem to know what his best team is.

With Moyes granted it would feel like the draw was the minimum benchmark, but I would much rather a draw than a loss; whenever we go 1-0 under Martinez I just can't see his team fighting back into it; maybe it is the fact that Martinez doesn't feel like it is his formation/tactics that are at fault.

Edit:I don't think Martinez is a bad manager however and I think if he brought someone in (Steve Round ;) or Irivine) to work on the defensive side of things we could return to the form of last season again.

Thats a well thought post , and I personally think Martinez will get it right given time. If you are at a money rich club and can buy all the top players you need, a manager will quite qickly know his best team because he's been able to buy it. If a manager can add only one key ingredient in the summer, and have to make do with lesser players(not neccessarily bad players, but not top players) in other positions, it isn't possible to 'know your best team' because you have to juggle your squad to take account of the opposition and other factors. Very top Premier League players can adapt slightly to trouble any Premier League opposition...thats why the teams that can buy the best every time(or buy enough to ensure the best come through) are the top teams in the league. If Oscar and Hazard, or Sanchez and Ozil, were playing for Everton, then the 'top' or potentially 'top' players that we have would be more effective every week. A team is only as good as the worst of it. So far, We may have goalkeeper covered with a potentially top keeper in Robles, and our defence as it is can be as good as any, better than most. Barry will be gone soon, or at least not a starter, Besic has potential, Barkley still hopefully has potential, and personally I'm not sure about McCarthy, maybe he will become a 'top' player. Instead of picking Oscar, Hazard and others every week, Martinez has to rely on making the right decision as to which of McGeady, Barkley, Lennon, Osman,Mirralas etc will be suitable and effective against whatever opposition. All those Everton players i've mentioned are not 'top' players, they are very good players but are not often game changers. The odd occasion, certainly, but not consistently winning players. So we have to rely on others things until the manager, over a period, can get better players. We have to rely on effort, teamwork, and tactics. Give Martinez a few more windows, and let him buy top players when possible, and if we are no better than we are now, I think you would find him gone.

Okay firstly I did not say Jelavic was better than Lukuku I said "as bad as" in terms of form. But Jelavic puts in a shift and actually played for the shirt when he was with us.

Secondly My opinion is different to yours so I will probably be 100% wrong on everything: I think we play better when Barkley doesn't start and he has been one of the worst starting players of the season (consistently bad, doesn't look like he knows where he is); along with this he just jogs around until the ball gets passed to him. I don't doubt he has potential but until he actually has a constistent good game he is just a bench player for me.
As for Lukuku again, I think he should either be dropped or played with Kone along side him to provide some sort of service; he doesn't seem able to take on defenders or hold the ball up for an attack. I probably am being too harsh on both of them considering most of this probably stems from Roberto's emphassis on passing just infront of our box.

Interesting, what makes you think that Jelavic puts in more of a shift/plays more for the shirt than Lukaku?

Thats a well thought post , and I personally think Martinez will get it right given time. If you are at a money rich club and can buy all the top players you need, a manager will quite qickly know his best team because he's been able to buy it. If a manager can add only one key ingredient in the summer, and have to make do with lesser players(not neccessarily bad players, but not top players) in other positions, it isn't possible to 'know your best team' because you have to juggle your squad to take account of the opposition and other factors. Very top Premier League players can adapt slightly to trouble any Premier League opposition...thats why the teams that can buy the best every time(or buy enough to ensure the best come through) are the top teams in the league. If Oscar and Hazard, or Sanchez and Ozil, were playing for Everton, then the 'top' or potentially 'top' players that we have would be more effective every week. A team is only as good as the worst of it. So far, We may have goalkeeper covered with a potentially top keeper in Robles, and our defence as it is can be as good as any, better than most. Barry will be gone soon, or at least not a starter, Besic has potential, Barkley still hopefully has potential, and personally I'm not sure about McCarthy, maybe he will become a 'top' player. Instead of picking Oscar, Hazard and others every week, Martinez has to rely on making the right decision as to which of McGeady, Barkley, Lennon, Osman,Mirralas etc will be suitable and effective against whatever opposition. All those Everton players i've mentioned are not 'top' players, they are very good players but are not often game changers. The odd occasion, certainly, but not consistently winning players. So we have to rely on others things until the manager, over a period, can get better players. We have to rely on effort, teamwork, and tactics. Give Martinez a few more windows, and let him buy top players when possible, and if we are no better than we are now, I think you would find him gone.

Good post. But Martinez can only do so much if he's got limited funds. Enter our superb board.

Glad you questioned that because he totally didn't.

I thought as much! Would be interesting to see his view for it though

I haven't seen any stats or anything, but from just watching him play I honestly don't get how anyone can say he's lazy and doesn't play for the shirt.

He runs all game without much service, and fair enough there might have been one or two games where you'd think "what a waste of space he was today", but every player has an off day (Ronaldo 3 games no goals at the moment) and many of Rom's worse performances have been down to injuries (toe injury earlier in the season).

Why aren't we buying unheard of bargains from south America?

I was certain we'd have loads when Bobby signed on but, no, not one. Just ex wigan crap.

The expectations of the fans were set so high after such an incredible season last year. I think we just need to give Martinez the time to build the squad he's trying to create. The frustrating thing is that as fans we're generally happy as long as we're moving in the right direction, but some decisions such as playing Lukaku on the wing etc are never going to work.

I thought as much! Would be interesting to see his view for it though

I haven't seen any stats or anything, but from just watching him play I honestly don't get how anyone can say he's lazy and doesn't play for the shirt.

He runs all game without much service, and fair enough there might have been one or two games where you'd think "what a waste of space he was today", but every player has an off day (Ronaldo 3 games no goals at the moment) and many of Rom's worse performances have been down to injuries (toe injury earlier in the season).

Very much agreed.

Lukaku isn't perfect. That's for sure. He's a 21 year old lad who is still learning despite what his 21 year old mouth keeps babbling on about.

Jelavic by the end of his time with us was beyond repair.

If people just want effort we may aswell get Strac back.

Valued forum member @kithnou has done a lot of analytic work on McGeady's season with us. I was surprised to read just how good he actually is . I recommend all volunteers to the lynch mob get a copy of kithnou's work prior to enlisting

Thank you my fellow blue @deipnosophist

I am happy to educate our fellow Evertonian @scorgie95 and all volunteers to this unmeritorious and vertiginous "lynch mob"on the merits of our one and only "Geads".

All I do is implore you all to borrow my eyes as you read this below. Share my vision...for it takes true coup d'oeil to appreciate the pursuance of our ginger genius.

Relish my previous work once again...

You need to to watch him carefully, but not with your eyes wide shut, or you will miss the fastest feet in world football at work. It is with these feet that true magic occurs.

As I posted in the other McGeady forum, "Aiden McGeady: The Answer to all our Problems" ( which by the way I advise you to take a good look at as there are some pie charts and statistics that prove my point), and I quote...
" You'll all miss him when he is gone. Could have been the difference against Chelsea for mine. Those maze-like runs. Bamboozling the opposition's inferior defenders.
The exciting part is that he hasn't reached his full potential yet.
I am overwhelmed by anticipation..."

Absolute steal. And to think he has nowhere even approached his peak yet. We are in for a Golden Era of wingermanship over the next few years. Just keep your eyes peeled on him.

Were it not from many and many world class saves from goalkeepers all season from his dead eye shooting, I have no doubt he would be our top scorer. Just a simple of case of "bad luck".

Far superior player, for example, to that donkey Di Maria that Man U paid £59.7m for. Martinez is a genius. A genius eye for talent.

Do yourselves a favour from now on and keep a closer, more appreciative, educated eye on our gun winger. We are blessed...

There seems to be so much despondency running through so many GOT threads. I guess I must be seeing things differently to most. Our defence looks so sound now and whilst I admit that Barkley is a bit 'off colour', the play of Naismith this season has meant we have not lost an ounce of creativity. The partnership Naisy has struck up with Lukaku has been a season highlight for me. European defences will not know what's hit them when they come up against our 'dynamic duo'.

Very much agreed.

Lukaku isn't perfect. That's for sure. He's a 21 year old lad who is still learning despite what his 21 year old mouth keeps babbling on about.

Jelavic by the end of his time with us was beyond repair.

If people just want effort we may aswell get Strac back.

If only we still had these two.. passion, power, and pace.

They're no doubt the reasons behind Lukaku's comments. He's seen their success at the highest level since leaving us, and wants to try and achieve everything they have.

article-2092870-117DA8B5000005DC-908_634x527.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back