Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be so much despondency running through so many GOT threads. I guess I must be seeing things differently to most. Our defence looks so sound now and whilst I admit that Barkley is a bit 'off colour', the play of Naismith this season has meant we have not lost an ounce of creativity. The partnership Naisy has struck up with Lukaku has been a season highlight for me. European defences will not know what's hit them when they come up against our 'dynamic duo'.

This talk of their partnership is starting to demoralise me tbh mate.

If only we still had these two.. passion, power, and pace.

They're no doubt the reasons behind Lukaku's comments. He's seen their success at the highest level since leaving us, and wants to try and achieve everything they have.

article-2092870-117DA8B5000005DC-908_634x527.jpg
I slated this guy after his first appearence (as did everyone else), my most missed played that we didn't sign from loan. He would have been perfect for cup games and europa league.

The expectations of the fans were set so high after such an incredible season last year. I think we just need to give Martinez the time to build the squad he's trying to create. The frustrating thing is that as fans we're generally happy as long as we're moving in the right direction, but some decisions such as playing Lukaku on the wing etc are never going to work.

Its interesting about Lukaku playing on the wing. It worked like a dream against Arsenal, and Lukaku ran over to Martinez and embraced him when Lukaku scored cutting in from the right wing. It has been less succesfull on other occasions, but I've lost count of how many times I've heard TV pundits say that 'Lukaku has done his best work coming in from the wings'. I tend to agree that he's better running on to through balls in front of goal. Again, in a way, its about what I was saying above...if Martinez can find a 'top' winger, adept at cutting inside to shoot and score, he won't have to utilise Lukaku there. Lets face it, if Lennon is a great success, we've seen the last of Lukaku on the wing, but what we really need is the Robben of a few years ago, or someone of that quality. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey as far as building a team equal to Chelsea or City, hey boys ?

Everton and RM are still a work in progress. Martinez is a victim of his own success last term . He has made mistakes this term and plenty of them. It started with a poor preseason and continued with a team that leaked goals too easily, lost confidence and everything just seemed to go wrong. Add injuries to McCarthy, Stones , Mirallas at crucial times and the season was falling apart.

What I find most encouraging was the team was taken back to basics. We started to defend properly and performances have improved. I think that we are now in a position to have a good run in to the end of the season...but time will tell us if that is true.

I think RM has truly learned about his squad this season and I have said this before but the summer will be fascinating as we see where he tries to add to his squad.
We will see if players like Lukaku and Distin genuinely want away or are victims of sensationalist journalism again and of course Distin as well but he was probably coming to the end anyway.

Everton and RM are still a work in progress. Martinez is a victim of his own success last term . He has made mistakes this term and plenty of them. It started with a poor preseason and continued with a team that leaked goals too easily, lost confidence and everything just seemed to go wrong. Add injuries to McCarthy, Stones , Mirallas at crucial times and the season was falling apart.

What I find most encouraging was the team was taken back to basics. We started to defend properly and performances have improved. I think that we are now in a position to have a good run in to the end of the season...but time will tell us if that is true.

I think RM has truly learned about his squad this season and I have said this before but the summer will be fascinating as we see where he tries to add to his squad.
We will see if players like Lukaku and Distin genuinely want away or are victims of sensationalist journalism again and of course Distin as well but he was probably coming to the end anyway.

Absolutely.

Very well put.

Its interesting about Lukaku playing on the wing. It worked like a dream against Arsenal, and Lukaku ran over to Martinez and embraced him when Lukaku scored cutting in from the right wing. It has been less succesfull on other occasions, but I've lost count of how many times I've heard TV pundits say that 'Lukaku has done his best work coming in from the wings'. I tend to agree that he's better running on to through balls in front of goal. Again, in a way, its about what I was saying above...if Martinez can find a 'top' winger, adept at cutting inside to shoot and score, he won't have to utilise Lukaku there. Lets face it, if Lennon is a great success, we've seen the last of Lukaku on the wing, but what we really need is the Robben of a few years ago, or someone of that quality. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey as far as building a team equal to Chelsea or City, hey boys ?

Agreed he's showed some glimpses on the wing but maybe playing Kone with him could really help?

We need one more top quality attacking player really..

If only we still had these two.. passion, power, and pace.

They're no doubt the reasons behind Lukaku's comments. He's seen their success at the highest level since leaving us, and wants to try and achieve everything they have.

article-2092870-117DA8B5000005DC-908_634x527.jpg

You just can't teach what they had. Will we ever see their kind again? Probably not.

The offside shouts are anoying, he is offside becasue he made a boss run earlier in the phse of play, and our dumb a$$ midfielders spot him too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back