Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think the lad's talent and potential can really be questioned at this stage.

One thing I would like to see from him though is more smiles when he scores. He smiles when other people score, but not when he does. Like when he knocked the third in against YB I wanted him to go mental, maybe kick the sideboards like Seamus did against Swansea, or swing his shirt round his head a bit. Not really a fault of the lad but I would like to see more good vibes when he scores, especially a hatty in Europe.

Don't think the lad's talent and potential can really be questioned at this stage.

One thing I would like to see from him though is more smiles when he scores. He smiles when other people score, but not when he does. Like when he knocked the third in against YB I wanted him to go mental, maybe kick the sideboards like Seamus did against Swansea, or swing his shirt round his head a bit. Not really a fault of the lad but I would like to see more good vibes when he scores, especially a hatty in Europe.

lol Colemans celebration against Swansea is pure class isn't it mate. I thought he was going to do something similar on Thursday tbh because he was well up for it when he scored.

Of course it can.

Exactly. I'd me more worried if he wasn't concerned about our performances this season. He wants to be the best; this season we're not.

What he will hopefully realise later in his career is that this season has probably developed him in lots of different ways: tenacity; work ethic et al.

I also don't mind the things he has said because he is his own greatest critic. Some people get wound up because he's talking about a big club but I see it as a positive thing; it means he has great ambition and will only stop working on his skills the day he actually stops playing football. If only some more player of our team had that drive and ambition (and severe self-criticisim) we would be playing a whole lot better!

The only reason he gets stick is that he seems to lack fundamental footballing skills. I find his goal record baffling when I see him play sometimes but, personally, I don't give a crap what his first touch is like or what he says to the media as long as he sticks it in the back of the net for us.

Looking at his goal record and comparing it against young strikers around the world, the way I see it is if you're going to find faults in Lukaku you're going to find faults in just about anyone. No player is perfect, and Rom is absolutely the best we can hope for at this time.

Yeah I remember when Jeffers was 20 and had a near 1 in 2 record overall at Everton and everyone was raving about him based on goals alone. Nobody could question his talent and potential then as well.

Except you could, as his overall game was nowhere near up to scratch and his career showed as such.

Lukaku scores goals, albeit the current love-in is due to 3 goals in 1 game against a sub-par side on the night where he was given all three on a plate - he played very well, but it doesn't excuse the fact that for a good four months now at the very least he's been absolutely dire except for the odd goal going in off his hip or whatever.

I don't dislike Lukaku, I want to like him, but I can't just ignore everything wrong with his game, especially given his last good performance for us was in Europe and he promptly followed that up with months upon months of pure gash, culminating in coming out to the media and claiming he was a big fish in a small pond, despite not being one of our best five players this year.

Let's see him do the business for a good few months before we start labelling him as anything. All he's proven thus far is that he's a good mid-tier Premier League striker who'll get goals like Yakubu did but offer nothing much else on the pitch. For £28m, he needs to be more than the next Yakubu for us over a long period of time.

The only reason he gets stick is that he seems to lack fundamental footballing skills. I find his goal record baffling when I see him play sometimes but, personally, I don't give a crap what his first touch is like or what he says to the media as long as he sticks it in the back of the net for us.

You wouldn't care if in the Euopa League final we are 1-0 up from a Lukaku goal, but then he comes deep to get the ball and his control is so awful he passes it straight to an opposition player who runs through and gets the equaliser (ala Ings at Burnley), we then go on to lose the match.

You wouldn't care cause he'd already scored?

Thats pretty strange if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back