Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely mate. Imagine us this season without Rom.... Kone, Naismith and Mirallas as our striker options.....

Indeed.

I'm not saying Rom was 100% the right one to get especially at the premium we will end up paying for him (although he probably was), just that it was obvious that's where the priority was.

Signings like Atsu are the ones that should be questioned. Clearly bought in as a Deulofeu replacement but done pretty much nothing except have a boss AFCON. Which doesn't really help much.

Indeed.

I'm not saying Rom was 100% the right one to get especially at the premium we will end up paying for him (although he probably was), just that it was obvious that's where the priority was.

Signings like Atsu are the ones that should be questioned. Clearly bought in as a Deulofeu replacement but done pretty much nothing except have a boss AFCON. Which doesn't really help much.

To be fair, he's only here on loan. He's yet to establish himself at the top level, so doubt he is costing us much(in relative terms) in wages. He's a squad option. I'd rather have him on the fringes than George Green (for example) at this moment in time.

Absolutely. I blame Martinez and the board.

Not replacing Deulofeu or Pienaar with players who where fit for purpose was criminal after buying a striker for 28m.

The worst thing was this was blatantly obvious all the way back in the summer in pre-season.

Its a huge summer for us transfer wise.....

Replacing Pienaar &Mirallas will probably decide Martinez' faith.. But also Distin, Howard & Barry.. .

5 key signings, if Martinez gets it right then we'll be back battling for Top 4.....if he gets it wrong, then he 'll be gone by November...

Indeed.

Atsu has been unlucky with injuries, and is a young player who might turn out to be a very good player. He has shown signs lately of the kind of player he might be, was a loan anyway, and Martinez has played it right with him, as he does with all loanees. By that I mean he has ignored Mourhinos shouts to give Atsu more game time, and has got on with managing Everton. Wingers with skill, power and consistency are a very rare breed, and Martinez is right to have a good look at any that are available, particularly if they are young and not at a premium.

To be fair, he's only here on loan. He's yet to establish himself at the top level, so doubt he is costing us much(in relative terms) in wages. He's a squad option. I'd rather have him on the fringes than George Green (for example) at this moment in time.

Atsu has been unlucky with injuries, and is a young player who might turn out to be a very good player. He has shown signs lately of the kind of player he might be, was a loan anyway, and Martinez has played it right with him, as he does with all loanees. By that I mean he has ignored Mourhinos shouts to give Atsu more game time, and has got on with managing Everton. Wingers with skill, power and consistency are a very rare breed, and Martinez is right to have a good look at any that are available, particularly if they are young and not at a premium.

To be clear I'm not having a go at Atsu. Just that he's not been what was required. For one reason or another.

Deulofeu was injured too remember.

To be clear I'm not having a go at Atsu. Just that he's not been what was required. For one reason or another.

Deulofeu was injured too remember.

He's a loan though mate. Can you name me one other player available to loan who would have made a bigger contribution?

De Bruynes a goner from Wolfsburg this summer, they'll have 40 million to splash around, they'll have CL, they have ambition. Make up your own mind, but for me Lukaku's on his way out.

It was absolutley obvious that we needed a striker more than any other position.

Yep absolutely obvious we needed a striker, and lukaku seemed a must signing (I think some fans have forgot he's still only 21)....

Just don't think Martinez counted on so many experienced players suffering loss of form or injury....
Barry (unrecognizable from last season)...Pienaar finished, Osman in and out with injury, Distin (legs gone), Howard...add to that Mirallas has left us down with his seemingly poor attitude and desire to leave....

Not saying Martinez is blameless by any means....poor signings like kone, mcgeady, alcaraz, Robles & I guess atsu (hard to know when he's played so little) have meant we haven't been able to cope with the loss of those senior players....

He's a loan though mate. Can you name me one other player available to loan who would have made a bigger contribution?

Gerard Deulofeu - although I appreciate that may not have been possible.

Mohammed Salah maybe?

I'm not great on suggesting names but certainly feel there could have been someone better for Atsu's loan spot.

But I guess we'll never know.

Gerard Deulofeu - although I appreciate that may not have been possible.

Mohammed Salah maybe?

I'm not great on suggesting names but certainly feel there could have been someone better for Atsu's loan spot.

But I guess we'll never know.

He's the only player we have on loan, so there's no reason we couldn't have loaned some other player.

For me it was just pointless unless we planned on actually playing him.....instead because of the signing of Etoo, Martinez decided he had to find room somewhere for Etoo Naismith & Barkley that he started playing these guys out of position and we lost all shape....
Also if it was Martinez belief that Atsu is not better than Aiden F'n McGeady, then he just shouldn't have bothered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back