Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wrong regarding yakubu with blackburn mixed it up with leicester, but the fact he went to china.. and no big clubs were after him after such a 'good' season is poingant.

Also he isn't statistically better player, Lukaku has scored more goals, had more assists in less games for us than yakubu has.
I think the yaks stats are effected by moyes playing him like 1 in 4 on his return from injury and getting 15 minutes of the bench

It was obvious he need to play regular to get his sharpness back

And this is what happened as soon as he went to Blackburn

Don't forget he'd had 5 seasons on the bounce near the top of the prem goal scoring charts playing for Portsmouth & Middlesbrough and 1 season for us

Just going on their 1st season in everton shirts then it's the yak for me he's a class above

Not saying lukaku won't turn out to be better in time
But still a big question mark

Wait, what? People seriously think that Yakubu was better than Lukaku? I genuinely thought it was some sort of joke. Sure, Yakubu first season was absolutely immense but so was bloody Jelavic and you wouldn't say Jelavic was any better than Lukaku, would you? The Yak in his prime in that first season for us was probably the best striker I have seen at Goodison, but his hamstring went -BOING- and he was utterly terrible afterwards.

If you're going to compare Rom and the Yak, you have to take into account every season that they played for Everton Football Club, regardless of whether Yakubu was crippled or not. Lukaku is by far the better player and DEFINITELY the better prospect.

I think the yaks stats are effected by moyes playing him like 1 in 4 on his return from injury and getting 15 minutes of the bench

It was obvious he need to play regular to get his sharpness back

And this is what happened as soon as he went to Blackburn

Don't forget he'd had 5 seasons on the bounce near the top of the prem goal scoring charts playing for Portsmouth & Middlesbrough and 1 season for us

Just going on their 1st season in everton shirts then it's the yak for me he's a class above

Not saying lukaku won't turn out to be better in time
But still a big question mark
Moyes wasn't at fault for yakubu missing countless sitters, being unable to run and just being bad at football after his injury.

Yak usually goes crap at every club after one year, did the same for us.

I really liked Yakubu , but to say he was better than Lukaku makes no sense.

Lukaku at twenty one is already operating at a level of club that Yakubu finally reached when he joined Everton.
Yakubu was a goalscorer , but was far too lazy and slow to attract any of the top teams.At the time Everton were seen as a big step up for Yakubu and we were then an upper middle range club.

Lukaku if he continues to progress will spend the better part of his career at a CL club, at Everton or somewhere else. He is still probably six years off of being at his peak.

Pre-injury Yakubu was a far superior footballer with a comparable strike rate, and even after that he went on to score a decent amount for a relegated Blackburn team.

Lukaku is the most comically overrated player I've seen in a long time, and he'll never make it at the sort of club he thinks he should be playing for.

Yakubu's record doesn't matchup to Lukaku, even though Lukaku is much younger player. During his time at Everton Yakubu averaged around 8 goals per season.

I really liked Yakubu , but to say he was better than Lukaku makes no sense.

Lukaku at twenty one is already operating at a level of club that Yakubu finally reached when he joined Everton.
Yakubu was a goalscorer , but was far too lazy and slow to attract any of the top teams.At the time Everton were seen as a big step up for Yakubu and we were then an upper middle range club.

Lukaku if he continues to progress will spend the better part of his career at a CL club, at Everton or somewhere else. He is still probably six years off of being at his peak.
You make a good point.

We are the biggest club Yakubu ever played for, Lukaku we absolutely wont be the biggest club he's played for, that's pretty telling when comparing the two.

Wait, what? People seriously think that Yakubu was better than Lukaku? I genuinely thought it was some sort of joke. Sure, Yakubu first season was absolutely immense but so was bloody Jelavic and you wouldn't say Jelavic was any better than Lukaku, would you? The Yak in his prime in that first season for us was probably the best striker I have seen at Goodison, but his hamstring went -BOING- and he was utterly terrible afterwards.

If you're going to compare Rom and the Yak, you have to take into account every season that they played for Everton Football Club, regardless of whether Yakubu was crippled or not. Lukaku is by far the better player and DEFINITELY the better prospect.

This word "prospect" again.

Come back and make the case for Rom being better than The Yak when that potential is converted into real results on the pitch.

And anyone who has watched The Yak and Rom for us knows from the evidence of their own eyes The Yak was way better in an Everton shirt.

Though to be fair you do admit The Yak is the best striker you have seen at EFC.

Yep.

I think people are desperately trying to spin what he's saying by looking at it with blue-tinted specs here. It's clear what he's done - changed agent with the express purpose of getting a move, and these comments are reinforcing exactly that. There's a million different responses he could have gave if he had any desire whatsoever to stay at Everton for next season.

He basically downed tools halfway through the year, give up and gave an agent a call.
He scored 13 of his 20 goals and got 4 of his 7 assists in the second half of the season so not sure how you can say he downed tools.

I'd rather he'd keep his mouth shut but he's just being honest. He wants to play at the highest level but he also says he has 4 years on his contract here and is happy.

If he goes I'll be gutted but can't see him leaving for anything other than a pretty healthy profit so it'll give us money to strengthen elsewhere.

Yakubu's Prem record is excellent, the thing he lacked was speed, his touch and finishing were up there with the best, that's why he had the goals record he did in the Prem.

In my experience if you aint got a first touch now then you aint going to get one, and Lukaku's is bad, his control on the ball is not the greatest either.

I think we paid top dollar for him, nobody else wanted to offer what we did, and if he's now suggesting he wants to move to win things then he's showing us serious lack of respect considering the amount of money we invested in him.

Erm Guys...Guys..it's possible to think that Yakubu and Lukaku are both very good goalscorers ya know.

Yakubu was unlucky with that bad injury and Lukaku is learning his trade no need to make direct comparisons and be entrenched into a belief one is/was better than the other.

You're all making out like we can only have one good player ffs.

That interviewer led him down a garden path; Rom is very intelligent and was very honest. He doesnt rule anything out which is fair enough because as a footballer your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

We all thought we were lucky to sign him permanently; ROM CHOSE to sign for us because he loved his time at the club and its working out great for him currently; he wanted to come here and was insistent on it being us.
Were a step on his career which is fair enough; we were a step for Jags from Sheff Utd, a get out for Howard from UTD; a team to develop from Arteta.

Anyone who thinks the club have a devine right to keep the best players is sadly mistaken and very much burying their head in the sand.

Hes a brilliant striker; a beast of a guy who will win us more matches than anyone which he has proven in two seasons here.

Thats all well in good but it looks like he wants a move.

In the interview in a Belgian newspaper he says that it's his ambition to play champions league and in a different competition to prove he can score anywhere. He does not say that that should be next year.

He also states that it wouldn't be a bad thing to stay at Everton because there is still aspects of the game for him to improve upon.

He changed manager because he wanted on of the best and because he wants a manager who tells him he sucked after a game, and that his previous manager was perhaps too nice for him.

Now, all these statements can be interpreted in any way you want. Either he's a Judas because he changes manager and says he wants to play CL. Or he's an ambitious young player who simply states what his ambition is, and who recognizes that he still has to improve (and that he can do that at Everton).

So, bipolar threaders, have your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back