Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole "Oviedo is a crock" argument really holds little weight, especially when you take into account the injury against Stevenage

That was a totally freak incident that could have felled anyone

It hardly works as proof of Oviedo being injury prone

He's hardly Gibson, Kone or Alcaraz when it comes to injuries. He's not always injured as a result of standard things. He suffered an absolute mother fudger of an injury. He didn't get it jogging in the warm up

He certainly wasn't before the Stevenage game, but I think people might be worried that injury might have now made him injury prone.

But like I said a few posts ago, if Garbutt is indeed signing and then going back out on loan, then the medical staff must be convinced Oviedo will be okay for next season.

Thought he'd always played centre back at MK Dons?

Ian Botham was a striker for Scunthorpe, I think. Still think he'd rather be known as a cricketer? Also think Hibbo was a midfielder in the youth team. Imagine the fume if Hibbo had been our anchor man for the last 10 years plus :p

Ian Botham was a striker for Scunthorpe, I think. Still think he'd rather be known as a cricketer? Also think Hibbo was a midfielder in the youth team. Imagine the fume if Hibbo had been our anchor man for the last 10 years plus :p
Dead at picturing Hibbo dictating play from the quarterback role.

I see, forgot about Galloway, probably because he is a centre back. lol
But it is pretty common to play a centre back as a fullback when they are young. Stones's first appearances for us were at RB for instance, Dier for Spurs, Chambers for S'ton/Arsenal, Smalling/Young for United.

Personally think it can get to be a problem if you continually swap them around between the two roles for several years as has happened with the latter two as makes it difficult to learn correct positioning. But playing as fullack for your first x number of games to get used to the pace, opponents, pressure and concentration required for the step up it tends to work well.

But it is pretty common to play a centre back as a fullback when they are young. Stones's first appearances for us were at RB for instance, Dier for Spurs, Chambers for S'ton/Arsenal, Smalling/Young for United.

Personally think it can get to be a problem if you continually swap them around between the two roles for several years as has happened with the latter two as makes it difficult to learn correct positioning. But playing as fullack for your first x number of games to get used to the pace, opponents, pressure and concentration required for the step up it tends to work well.

This is true. I think it's about limiting defensive responsibility. Kind of like Moyes did by playing Coleman as a defensive right midfielder.

The best example you could have given was Ratcliffe being introduced as a left-back.

He certainly wasn't before the Stevenage game, but I think people might be worried that injury might have now made him injury prone.

But like I said a few posts ago, if Garbutt is indeed signing and then going back out on loan, then the medical staff must be convinced Oviedo will be okay for next season.

Unless we've got a clause allowing us to recall him.

Would make sense, really. Baines starts, Oviedo is there in case Baines can't play a couple of games for whatever reason. If, God forbid, he gets a serious injury keeping him out for months, Garbutt would be recalled and given a serious shot at left back.

This is true. I think it's about limiting defensive responsibility. Kind of like Moyes did by playing Coleman as a defensive right midfielder.

The best example you could have given was Ratcliffe being introduced as a left-back.
Yes, the difficulty for a young CB is that any mistake they make tends to end up as a goal.

That not only has problems in that match but can get the crowd on their back or knock their confidence. A fullback has more chance of the CBs or GK being able to cover for an error.

Unless we've got a clause allowing us to recall him.

Would make sense, really. Baines starts, Oviedo is there in case Baines can't play a couple of games for whatever reason. If, God forbid, he gets a serious injury keeping him out for months, Garbutt would be recalled and given a serious shot at left back.
If I was Bournmouth and had agreed to give him first team football then wouldn't allow there to be a recall clause. Perhaps if he was only to be used as second choice but that isn't what we are wanting for him.

We have several players in the academy that could step up in an emergency including Galloway, very much doubt there will be a recall clause.

Yes, the difficulty for a young CB is that any mistake they make tends to end up as a goal.

That not only has problems in that match but can get the crowd on their back or knock their confidence. A fullback has more chance of the CBs or GK being able to cover for an error.

Exactly. It's also why keepers tend to be better in their 30's. It's all well and good jumping on a players back, but it's easy to forget how much of a naive tit you might have been at 21-years-old (not you) :p

If I was Bournmouth and had agreed to give him first team football then wouldn't allow there to be a recall clause. Perhaps if he was only to be used as second choice but that isn't what we are wanting for him.

We have several players in the academy that could step up in an emergency including Galloway, very much doubt there will be a recall clause.

Garbutt needs games now, for a player of his age he's quite inexperienced with first team football due to Baines being Baines and Oviedo being adequate back up when fit. If he signs I can't see us asking for any sort of clause in his loan its sink or swim time for him in the big league this season really.

I'd also expect Galloway to be fixed up with a loan as well, but probably a short term deal to a championship side until January, then they can bring him back and assess how it's benefited him. If some awful situation arises and Baines and Oviedo are both injured for a while there's still enough options in the squad to cope with Hibbert or Barry capable, he may even try a new formation to plaster over it if it was long term problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back