Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line is DavK does not liike him, never has and will do whatever it takes to keep piling in with negatives. Heaven forbid that Garbutt starts playing regular football in an Everton shirt, DaveK will be left with sod all to moan about.

And spun to make it sound a triumphant victory for El Bobo. You couldn't make it up.

Anyway, pleasing news. I'd prefer if he didn't go on loan and stayed to put a bit of pressure on Baines for his place which would be healthy.

I dont think it's too cynical to suggest he wont play for Everton again. It's obvious he wanted away. The pleasing thing is he's (apparently) recognised his debt to Everton and has (again apparently) allowed a situation whereby he leaves, but with a financial sweetener for the club.

It's best all round this. He wanted to play elsewhere for another club. If he didn't want to be patient and play for Everton then so be it. He can play elsewhere with other clubs paying his wages and then paying a proper fee for him.

I repeat: he'll have in all likelihood played his last game for Everton.

I have no doubt your complete guesswork is completely wrong!!

image.webp

It is likely that the best offer on the table was from us.
I do think he would easily have moved to another club, after all he left Leeds to come to us.

But, in todays professional game that is absolutely normal and should not be held against him.
I don't think there is a single player on our staff that would not move if the right offer came along..the same is true of every player at every club.

The important thing is that he seems to have chosen to stay here and will be given the opportunity to turn himself into a premiership footballer
for Everton. I really hope he does well, but I do think he has a long way to go.
A season playing football in the premiership every week will tell us a lot more about him.

I dont think it's too cynical to suggest he wont play for Everton again. It's obvious he wanted away. The pleasing thing is he's (apparently) recognised his debt to Everton and has (again apparently) allowed a situation whereby he leaves, but with a financial sweetener for the club.

It's best all round this. He wanted to play elsewhere for another club. If he didn't want to be patient and play for Everton then so be it. He can play elsewhere with other clubs paying his wages and then paying a proper fee for him.

I repeat: he'll have in all likelihood played his last game for Everton.

I am not sure I agree with all of this Davek. It is not obvious he wanted away, what's becoming quite clear was that he was always going to take the decision at the end of the season. I might be old fashioned but I always have an admiration for players/managers who see out their contract and then decide what to do next. I have more respect for that than people signing a contract then looking to move on.

As regards he won't play again. Well I think this assumes Martinez will reproduce what I consider to be Moyes's biggest mistakes, namely becoming too close to experienced players. I think Martinez grasps that for whatever reason (which is our useless board) we will never have the finances to compete at the top end. So an approach that looks to stockpile older talent won't work. I think Martinez is more pragmatic and understands the need to rejuvenate the squad with younger players.

In a years time Baines will be 31. Most modern fullbacks, particularly in Martinez's teams have to very fit. Baines is a very fit lad currently and has no difficulties getting up and down, but in 12-18 months time who knows? I don't think Martinez was bluffing when he said he could look to use him in midfield going forward. We'll have had a year to look a Garbutt and see if he's up to Premier League Standard for Bournemouth.

The elephant in the room for all of this is Oviedo. When he has played he has also done very well and looks a natural fit for left back. I can't think of a single game he has played where he has let us down. He seems a great pro and if he can get his fitness back this pre season I suspect he will also be pushing Baines.

So. Are we any closer to this situstion being resolved? And, do we know why RM played Galloway when he had the oppotrinity to play Garbutt? Mystifying especially I'd we are gonna tie him down long term.

Who's arsed, it was good to see Galloway and he put in 2 very good performances

Presumably as at the time he wasn't sure if Garbutt was staying, whereas Galloway defo is, so made sense to put him in and see how he coped, instead of Garbutt who might not even have been here next year.

could lie straight on a crooked staircase

Haha, love that line :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back