Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was convinced he was leaving and going to a club of some status. It seems a great deal for both the player and the club. We get to keep a long term asset and he gets first team football in the Premiership. If he does well he comes back a ready made first team player. If he fails we ship him on either on another loan deal or sell him. A five year deal is a risk but when is signing a player not a risk.

Meh, think the amount of clubs and calibre of club he was expecting to come in for him never in the end, those that did wouldnt pay him more than us so he did a u turn and signed up with us. Not arsed, its win win, he goes out on loan and either returns a more rounded player or earns us more money if we sell. Hold no beef over him anymore

Needs to sort that mop head out though

Delighted he's staying. We'd have regretted letting him walk for years to come, as he will be the natural successor to Baines for both club and country.

Everton do think he's worth it but cant hold him down at Goodison, hence the deal that satisfies all parties. It's not one though that means he's part of Martinez's plans, more likely that he's an asset ready to accrue value for a sale...that's the way clubs like Chelsea and United and City have operated with these loan deals to PL clubs. They dont want them back, they want them to increase their transfer value.

I dont know why, in this instance, Everton's move with Garbutt is not being seen in that vein. It has all the hallmarks of the strategy adopted by those others clubs (the only thing that differentiated us from them with respect to this deal is that - if he's a success - he's unlikely to be brough back into his parent club).
Because there's something those clubs don't do that we do. They don't lend from other clubs to makeup squad numbers.

We don't have the financial muscle to be a pay day lender - we can do that with our youth team to a degree but they're on buttons. I doubt Garbutt will be on buttons.

Meh, think the amount of clubs and calibre of club he was expecting to come in for him never in the end, those that did wouldnt pay him more than us so he did a u turn and signed up with us. Not arsed, its win win, he goes out on loan and either returns a more rounded player or earns us more money if we sell. Hold no beef over him anymore

Needs to sort that mop head out though
That's the only explanation for what's happened, I reckon.

It seems hard to believe he'd turn down a contract for this long and not then walk away into a club who dont have to pay a fee if that club was prepared to meet his demands wage-wise and ambition-wise.

It's difficult for some here to understand that because his importance has been unduly elevated. Other clubs out there at the same level or deemed bigger than Everton dont have enough to go on to convince them he's worth a start. Now he has enough opportunity to go and do that.

If someone winds a contract down in this day and age they're likely doing it to either maximize their bargaining position with their current club or for the signing on fee they can expect from a new club, not out of any sense of propriety.

Overall I think you're right about the direction Martinez is headed now. The past few days worth of business (added to the introduction of Galloway in the season) underlines that this summer he's getting his teeth into the rebuilding job he should have started last summer - although I'm still wary of him handing out new contracts (Jagielka) and assurances (Howard) to older players who really should be allowed to go at the end of their (pre)existing contracts.

But that can all take place without Garbutt. To me it sounds very unlikely that a club in Everton's position are in the business of farming out players to fellow PL clubs. We are not in that financial elite bracket to do that and we dont have the orbital pull to bring them back in again if they do well at their other club. What we're seeing here is a bureaucratic stunt to allow all parties to walk away with something. I can live with that, because it means Martinez will be able to count on a decent fee in the near future and we have excellent cover to an excellent player in this LB position. In any case my take on Garbutt as a player is that he's a good athlete but not much more than that. He's very rough still defensively and I dont see a character in that shirt if I'm honest, he's a bit like Shaw at United: a national academy drone type. Maybe they acquire flair at a later stage, but I honestly think he's a bit one dimensional, and that's not to be admired in a player.

Aye you are probably correct on that score. I suppose I am old fashioned in that regard and quite out of touch with the modern game.

The business we have done with Martinez, and the people we are subsequently linked with have been very good from Martinez. We never used to loan players out to premier league sides, but this is something that I think Martinez would look at. We are in a situation now where we just have too many good left backs.

For what it's worth I think it depends on two things, firstly the deterioration physically of Baines. He's quite a fit lad, but 18 months down the line will Martinez still see his running as a strength. Full backs in Martinez set up are always going to be to be very fit.
Secondly how well Garbutt does. If he goes and holds down a place for Bournemouth and continues to improve then I think you will see Martinez fast track him in. If he looks as if he's a squad man at Bournemouth and they stay up he will move to them I suspect.

Our readings of him are quite different. I agree he reminds me a lot of Shaw (possibly even ahead of Shaw as Kendall suggested). I worry about his athleticism though, he can look a bit sluggish. I think his strengths are his left peg, delivery into the box but also that he is quite composed on the ball and tall enough to hold his own defensively.

He may just be another Shaw, but that lad went for 30 million to United so he can't be half bad if he's in his bracket!

I think the key issue is going to be how Martinez tries to faze out older players, whether he thinks Baines is ready to be fazed out and whether Garbutt can step up. At this stage it's very hard to see 12 months down the line. Martinez has been very positive about him, but he does tend to be very positive about everyone, he has the rare ability to make Osman sound like Zidane sometimes!

The key point to remember here is the phrase "fazed" out, not "bombed" out. That's why keeping some experience like Howard/Jagielka for a season or 2 is preferable. We don't want to do a Liverpool and get rid of all of their leaders and be left with Henderson as captain.

It seems hard to believe he'd turn down a contract for this long and not then walk away into a club who dont have to pay a fee if that club was prepared to meet his demands wage-wise and ambition-wise.

It's difficult for some here to understand that because his importance has been unduly elevated. Other clubs out there at the same level or deemed bigger than Everton dont have enough to go on to convince them he's worth a start. Now he has enough opportunity to go and do that.
Iirc this is the second time Garbutt has run his contract down all the way and then resigned.

Perhaps it is just the way he likes to do it? Each of us have our own quirks and mental processes. At least doing that means the decision is entirely your own control.

People seem to think that Garbutt " Owes us " they honestly expect some loyalty from him.

From a kid who turned his back on his boyhood club Leeds to join us.

I've no issue with people looking out for number one, but that is what Garbutt will do. Given the right opportunity he would have been off in a flash like he left Leeds for us.

People seem to think that Garbutt " Owes us " they honestly expect some loyalty from him.

From a kid who turned his back on his boyhood club Leeds to join us.

I've no issue with people looking out for number one, but that is what Garbutt will do. Given the right opportunity he would have been off in a flash like he left Leeds for us.
We are the most attractive option out there for him. It really is as simple as that imo. Why should he leave us for the likes of Bournemouth, if he can sign a new contract here and probably become the long term successor of Leighton Baines. A lot better option than spend years at a lower level PL team/Championship club trying to get back to a upper level PL team. Leaving for Spurs/Liverpool would put him in the same position as here.

This is an excellent piece of business. Please note, not many clubs do this: loan players out to a club in the same divison, especially not the young ones. But when the young ones are good enough, they'll get the nod. See Wilshere at Bolton, Rom at West Brom and us, even Cleverley at Wigan FFS. Not often this happens. Garbutt is a future star and he deserves the first team football. We've done a decent bit of business and deserve to get paid for developing the most handsome young player in the league.

Glad the lad is staying, but was there a queue of top clubs banging on the door wanting his signature? That's not meant to be a criticism by the way.
I think there probably was. Just no-one better than us. After another year here he genuinely has a shot at fazing out Baines.

Go somewhere else and who knows plus where they going to pay him as much as us?

He waited to evaluate his options and then chose to stay. Nothing wrong with that. No player owes anything to a club except respect and Garbutt never crossed that line.

This is an excellent piece of business. Please note, not many clubs do this: loan players out to a club in the same divison, especially not the young ones. But when the young ones are good enough, they'll get the nod. See Wilshere at Bolton, Rom at West Brom and us, even Cleverley at Wigan FFS. Not often this happens. Garbutt is a future star and he deserves the first team football. We've done a decent bit of business and deserve to get paid for developing the most handsome young player in the league.
I want to like but can't take the last line.

We've done a decent bit of business and deserve to get paid for developing the most handsome young player in the league.

BxVdQyUCYAAcei8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back