Managers within our reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santo might be seen as a “flavour of the month” but there’s something about him. Whether it’s with us or elsewhere, he will go on to be a top, top manager. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a top 6 team take a chance if they lost one of their managers. I reckon he could be a shoe in for Poch if he went to United.

Benitez would split the fan base but it would split reds too (for that reason, I’m open to it!!) I doubt he would come for that reason but he’s undoubtedly an excellent manager who can deliver silverware and there’s few of them about. His family are based on merseyside and he only wants to manage in England if things don’t go well in Newcastle.

Howe is a good manager, he doesn’t have enough credibility yet though. From the point of view of attracting the best players, not many will want to work with Eddie Howe. I think he’ll take the England job and use that as a stepping stone to somewhere bigger than Bournemouth - as and when Southgate gets offered something a bit more challenging too.
So that rules the 3 of them I guess.
That was my point. I don't see any premier league manager who would join us who would be a good appointment.
So I think we need to look outside.
No guarantee of course. But we could appoint mourinho and he could flop.
Any appointment is a gamble.
But id prefer see us take more of a risk and think outside the Box.

Santo might be seen as a “flavour of the month” but there’s something about him. Whether it’s with us or elsewhere, he will go on to be a top, top manager. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a top 6 team take a chance if they lost one of their managers. I reckon he could be a shoe in for Poch if he went to United.

Benitez would split the fan base but it would split reds too (for that reason, I’m open to it!!) I doubt he would come for that reason but he’s undoubtedly an excellent manager who can deliver silverware and there’s few of them about. His family are based on merseyside and he only wants to manage in England if things don’t go well in Newcastle.

Howe is a good manager, he doesn’t have enough credibility yet though. From the point of view of attracting the best players, not many will want to work with Eddie Howe. I think he’ll take the England job and use that as a stepping stone to somewhere bigger than Bournemouth - as and when Southgate gets offered something a bit more challenging too.

Southgate for Everton - what could possibly go wrong?

Moyes - Dour but embattled style, saw him develop a team over time full of lower rated players grateful for the opportunity to be at a big club, and he managed to get more than the sum of their parts out of them, but he always low balled our chances of ever breaking the glass ceiling and hid behind a defeatist mentality, then stabbed us in the back when looking for glory glory, unforgivably allowing for his own distraction by being groomed by Fergie and United eventually left a sour taste. Deserved the Grim Reaper welcome party.
Martinez - the only manager since Moyes to divide the fan base due to a lot of fondness of the way he was as mad as us to believe we could be something again, which rubbed off in a few big results, but his stubbornness for tiki taka, his inability to criticise the team or any player and his all bombing forward style of play left too many bad goal fest results and a defensive record heading the way of his previously relegated Wigan's in his blind desire for glory, however - right attitude, poor application in the end but he got the desire and expectation of the fans.
Koeman - a strict disciplinarian after the frivolity of the Spaniard, relied too much on his playing reputation, and hung some out to dry, came across as nasty and no desire to embrace the club like fans want to see, ultimately left after a poor run so bad that Mosh and Co panicked into the next appointment.
Fat Sam - pathetic appointment, pragmaic percentage, yardage based togga that was amongst the worst styles of team footie I have ever has to sit through, and despite being the biggest job of his career, managed to alienate the fan base with his arrogance and disdain of any form of criticism - should never have been appointed and is now constantly being used as a bench mark of how happy we should be when comparing current and no doubt future managers win ratios against- disgusting gravy swilling nightmare.
Silva - you either want to be patient, and buy into the project of backing the Brands and Silva project, allowing them to develop a style throughout the whole club, phasing out the aging Moyes Era players and misguided signings of the Post Mosh Manager Merry Go Round, Supermarket Sweep approach, until they genuinely have built the team they want, or you do the modern fan knee jerk thing again, and call for his head 24 games, two windows and one disorganised preseason in.

If you're gonna punt though, go ambitious, and go big name, whatever it costs and sell all the deadwood [Poor language removed] cheap, and give the Man In an open chequebook, New Money Chelsea/Man City style and get horrible mercenaries in who know how to win, and aren't intimidated by all yer dars shouting tern every two minutes.

Yet he's not Doin well with West ham is he.
Worse Cup exit then us and below us in the table as well.
Don't see the attraction. 6/7 years ago. Yes.

Be fair mate. West Ham have had rotten luck this season. They have three times as many players on the injury list as we do, almost three times the PL average.

They lost their best player for the season just as the season started - Lanzini. They signed Yarmolenko. He started bossing it and then he got ruled out for the season. Balbuena and Wilshere, other new signings also rules out for the long term. They’ve spent much of the season without 1st teamers like Carroll, Reid, Antonio, Cresswell and been without Fabianski and Arnautovic for prolonged spells.

It’s only been the consistent form of Felipe Anderson, Rice and Diop that has kept their form “patchy” at best. More to come from them.

Southgate for Everton. Can genuinely see that happening. Orcs in the dugout.

As maybe some of you know, I'm not biggest fan of Marco Silva, so I compiled a list of managers who are imo attainable by a club of our size and have better credentials than our current manager. I divided them by countries they're currently managing and there is a list of unemployed ones as well. There are lot of suggestions in other threads, so it would be better to keep it in one place.

PS I tried to keep it realistic so I didn't put the usual suspects like Mourinho, Blanc or Conte here as there's no way we could attract them. Moyes didn't make it as well ;)

Unemployed
Julen Lopetegui (last managed Real Madrid)
Peter Stoger (Borussia Dortmund)
Heiko Herrlich (Bayer Leverkusen)
Vincenzo Montella (Sevilla)
Gustavo Poyet (Bordeaux)
Phillip Cocu (Fenerbahce)

England
Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
Rafael Benitez (Newcastle)
Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds)

France
Christophe Galtier (Lille)
Bruno Genesio (Lyon)
Thierry Laurey (Strasbourg) - impressive work with Strasbourg, he promoted them to Ligue 1 and they're sitting on 5th place with a League Cup final to follow.
Patrick Vieira (Nice)
Rudi Garcia (Marseille)

Spain
Jose Bordalas (Getafe)
Marcelino (Valencia)
Quique Setien (Betis)

Germany
Adi Hutter (Frankfurt)
Bruno Labbadia (Wolfsburg)

Italy
Gian Piero Gasperini (Atalanta)
Simone Inzaghi (Lazio)
Stefano Pioli (Fiorentina)

Other
Marco Rose (Red Bull Salzburg)
Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord)
Steve Clarke (Kilmarnock)
Sergio Conceicao (Porto)
Looking at the list again, you know it will be Cocu. Worked with Brands before.

Thing is he got fired by Fenerbache after “guiding” them to 15th place. Oh dear...

It was the way they chose to announce it and create a total s***storm. He and Madrid could easily have kept it quiet until after the World Cup, but instead choose to enrage the whole nation!
Why would people be mad? I honestly don't get it. But as i said i don't know why he had to be fired and I bet if Spain could do it again they wouldn't fire him and just work through it since Hierro was inadequate.

Be fair mate. West Ham have had rotten luck this season. They have three times as many players on the injury list as we do, almost three times the PL average.

They lost their best player for the season just as the season started - Lanzini. They signed Yarmolenko. He started bossing it and then he got ruled out for the season. Balbuena and Wilshere, other new signings also rules out for the long term. They’ve spent much of the season without 1st teamers like Carroll, Reid, Antonio, Cresswell and been without Fabianski and Arnautovic for prolonged spells.

It’s only been the consistent form of Felipe Anderson, Rice and Diop that has kept their form “patchy” at best. More to come from them.

Yeah, and who brought through Declan Rice again?...

Time to get my tin hat on looking at that sort of list. We've had 5 managers who couldn't get a tune out of these players but we think a 6th or 7th might just do that? :Blink:

We need to cut down the bloated squad, get in hungry players that are willing to be part of a team and knuckle down and fight. A couple of old faces in the backroom staff that have been around constantly through this time need to also be moved on so we have a clean break. Until we do that we will never get anywhere now we have got the mentality to sack managers after part way of season. No one will stay around long enough to build anything.

Will see. I doubt they will finish top 10.
I wouldn’t have pellegrini anyway. Not now.

Why would people be mad? I honestly don't get it. But as i said i don't know why he had to be fired and I bet if Spain could do it again they wouldn't fire him and just work through it since Hierro was inadequate.
I think it was because he unsettled the squad and also showed disrespect to the country. Was he not seen as promoting himself at the expense of Spain?

Howe for me. Some of the signing he's made are suspect, but Brands will stop that. What he has done as Bmouth Manager is amazing

AFC Bournemouth
Individual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back