Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen a few players this fella was responsible for, but does he get anybody other than Dutch players? Very, very sketchy success levels over here for dutch players, plus they always seem to turn ganster on their team mates.

Seen a few players this fella was responsible for, but does he get anybody other than Dutch players? Very, very sketchy success levels over here for dutch players, plus they always seem to turn ganster on their team mates.
I suppose that’s because PSV can’t compete with the money other clubs have got. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do with the 6th biggest budget in European football.

The bloke is actually a director of football which is a start. Hopefully if he comes he can bring a totally new approach in, which we so desperately need. We must get rid of this 1970’s style all England backroom staff we’ve got going on and bring some fresh ideas in to finally push forward as a club.

Plus he doesn’t look like a man twice his own age who cuts about the Costa Del Sol wearing socks and sandals with layers of sun cream on his nose like Steve Walsh does.

My number 1 choice for the role is Ralf Rangnick - currently at Red Bull.

He has done exactly the job we want a sporting director to do.

Built arguably the best network of scouts in Europe (Mane and Keita for example), has turned Red Bull Salzburg youth team into the European Champions and taken the first team into Europa League quarter finalists. RB Leipzig into CL challengers, playing great football along the way.

He has put his trust in picking up the best young coaching minds around. He hired some unheard of bloggers who wrote about tactics, put them into his technical staff, got them their coaching badges and trusted them with the U18 side. They beat Benfica in the youth CL final and play technical/tactical football with great speed.
I've seen a lot of Leipzig this and last season and I dont think they are great to watch at all. "Pressing traps" and quick transitions to attacking play. They're hard workers and that's about it. It isn't that technical. It's just disciplined. I can see why a Jack of all trades and master of none like Keita has been their figurehead.

I could actually see this idiot Moshiri going for someone associated with Leipzig though - someone like Roger Schmidt who's now in China - because of there rise from nothing to something. He (Moshiri) seems to be all about short cuts, with little thought behind any important decision he makes. If not Schmidt it'll be someone of that ilk that we get as new manager.

I've seen a lot of Leipzig this and last season and I dont think they are great to watch at all. "Pressing traps" and quick transitions to attacking play. They're hard workers and that's about it. It isn't that technical. It's just disciplined. I can see why a Jack of all trades and master of none like Keita has been their figurehead.

I could actually see this idiot Moshiri going for someone associated with Leipzig though - someone like Roger Schmidt who's now in China - because of there rise from nothing to something. He's seems to be all about short cuts with little thought behind every decision he makes. If not Schmidt it'll be someone of that ilk that we get as new manager.
It's official (as if we didn't already know by now anyway)... Dave won't be happy with anyone we bring in!

It's official (as if we didn't already know by now anyway)... Dave won't be happy with anyone we bring in!
I just dont like a pressing style of football. Koeman tried to get something like this up and running between Christmas and Easter last season when we did ok. But it was not to be with a squad like ours who just aren't disciplined enough for it, and Koeman just didn't have the smarts to fully roll the style out anyway. Leave it to the Germans.

I could actually see this idiot Moshiri going for someone associated with Leipzig though - someone like Roger Schmidt who's now in China - because of there rise from nothing to something. He (Moshiri) seems to be all about short cuts, with little thought behind any important decision he makes. If not Schmidt it'll be someone of that ilk that we get as new manager.

I don’t think wanting to follow RB’s path is exactly a bad thing. They’re now a CL team.

I don’t think wanting to follow RB’s path is exactly a bad thing. They’re now a CL team.
You'd have to scrap this squad altogether and buy a new one practically, as it requires a whole new discipline that this lot have no aptitude for. It's a dull as ditchwater style to watch too, IMO.

I just dont like a pressing style of football. Koeman tried to get something like this up and running between Christmas and Easter last season when we did ok. But it was not to be with a squad like ours who just aren't disciplined enough for it, and Koeman just didn't have the smarts to fully roll the style out anyway. Leave it to the Germans.

The 85 team were pretty good at pressing football at times. Weren’t Reid and Bracewell the ‘Goodison Press’? I tend to agree though. I’d rather watch Arsenal for all their faults than Spurs or Liverpool as the latter two despite scoring goals and playing quick football on the transition are always reliant on forcing the opposition into a mistake. If you can defend properly like United did against Liverpool you can shut these sides down and they don’t have the skill to build attacks.

You'd have to scrap this squad altogether and buy a new one practically, as it requires a whole new discipline that this lot have no aptitude for. It's a dull as ditchwater style to watch too, IMO.

Wouldn’t mind scrapping 70% of the squad. Their football is more effective than stylish but I like my results over aesthetics.

There's not one deal completed by any other club bar the RS getting Keita. You seem to imply they may have done business in the background, if the media doesn't know about it with them, how do you know at haven't done the same?

Football is cash rich at present and we are completing with lots of clubs for a limited pool of players who can improve us.

Deals aren't being completed now but the groundwork underpinning transfers certainly is. The indentifying targets, informal talks with players and their reps concerning wages. Prioritising based on need and available cashflow. All this will be happening everywhere. The sort of thing that ends up with Van Dyke and Klopp arranging a romantic trip to Blackpool. The sort of things that give you a chance of getting in the right players ahead of richer or more prestigious rivals.

Walsh will be doing exactly that now. Only problem is that his targets will be [Poor language removed], he won't be doing it well and he seemingly won't be here to see it through.

If the new director of football isn't in by April to start this basic underpinning work then we are either resigning ourselves to shopping on the lower shelves again or worse, simply revertinv to our standard approach of just picking up whoever United deem surplus to requirements.

I don't dare to hope really. Best not to. Just sit back calmly and wait for the inevitable arrival of Luke Shaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back