Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marcel Marceau is doing a good job at Nimes !!

As the great man himself once said -
" :):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O(n)lol:Blink::blush::dance::dodgy::bye: "
gettyimages-857381258-1515004197.jpg

The 85 team were pretty good at pressing football at times. Weren’t Reid and Bracewell the ‘Goodison Press’? I tend to agree though. I’d rather watch Arsenal for all their faults than Spurs or Liverpool as the latter two despite scoring goals and playing quick football on the transition are always reliant on forcing the opposition into a mistake. If you can defend properly like United did against Liverpool you can shut these sides down and they don’t have the skill to build attacks.
Yes, all great teams can adapt and do the donkey work when required. There's no shame in pressing and closing down, but it's elevated now to a stand alone method of play which is given undue cache when I just see that side of the game as perfunctory. Any team that sets out to be a pressing team have their priorities all wrong; it's a means to an end not the end itself.

Wouldn’t mind scrapping 70% of the squad. Their football is more effective than stylish but I like my results over aesthetics.
You'd get sick of that style very quickly unless we were winning trophies with it....and unless you have some great players to augment that style you never will win anything with it.

Yes, all great teams can adapt and do the donkey work when required. There's no shame in pressing and closing down, but it's elevated now to a stand alone method of play which is given undue cache when I just see that side of the game as perfunctory. Any team that sets out to be a pressing team have their priorities all wrong; it's a means to an end not the end itself.
I play in my (ex)schools staff 5 a side week very Friday. 3 of the players are rs (a cockney, 1 from the home counties and a yank).

Ever since Clopp, they all shout the same thing as soon as the opposition have possession
"Press!"

It's the only time any of them are vocal in the game (other than the usual match micky taking). It's the only footballing thing they say, like it's some kind of religious mantra.

They try telling me to press and I turn back and kindly point out that I'm nearly fifty fricking two, I remember how football can be played before the press, and the only press I'm interested in is the semi decomposed remains if the pressed grape.

Utter blerts.

Monchi went to AC Milan, no? Supposedly their owners are now bankrupt? No idea what is going on with that club, might be a good chance to get the proverbial band back together?

I play in my (ex)schools staff 5 a side week very Friday. 3 of the players are rs (a cockney, 1 from the home counties and a yank).

Ever since Clopp, they all shout the same thing as soon as the opposition have possession
"Press!"

It's the only time any of them are vocal in the game (other than the usual match micky taking). It's the only footballing thing they say, like it's some kind of religious mantra.

They try telling me to press and I turn back and kindly point out that I'm nearly fifty fricking two, I remember how football can be played before the press, and the only press I'm interested in is the semi decomposed remains if the pressed grape.

Utter blerts.
Ha ha ha.

Says it all about this obsession with pressing. You're right, it's like some quasi religion.

"Press!"

Utter blerts.
STOP THE PRESS!!

Ha ha ha.

Says it all about this obsession with pressing. You're right, it's like some quasi religion.
I guess it depends how you press Dave? You have Klopp's "Gegenpress" which he claims he invented (Guardiola was doing it before him and hundreds before that) where you position yourself to start pressing as soon as you lose the ball. Or you have teams who wait till the oppo have it in their half before they start pressing. Either way some kind of work off the ball is needed, otherwise you end up with Wenger's Arsenal or Martinez's Everton. On the ball Martinez's is the best Everton I've seen but off the ball is where he failed IMHO.

Going have to get a move on I imagine as soon as the season ends there will be a lot movement this year around.

Starting to worry this is another plant story.

Monchi went to AC Milan, no? Supposedly their owners are now bankrupt? No idea what is going on with that club, might be a good chance to get the proverbial band back together?

Went Roma mate, bought/loaned in 13 players this summer, sold i think 10, third in Seria A, in the QF of the CL - all whilst making a profit of 50m quid in 'net spend', one of those he brought in on the cheap is now being touted as the next wonder-kid - Turkish lad who replaced Salah

Little argument that the bloke is a very very good DoF tbh

I just dont like a pressing style of football. Koeman tried to get something like this up and running between Christmas and Easter last season when we did ok. But it was not to be with a squad like ours who just aren't disciplined enough for it, and Koeman just didn't have the smarts to fully roll the style out anyway. Leave it to the Germans.

Mate common... koemans football was not pressing football. He may have wanted it but we never once played like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back