Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends how you press Dave? You have Klopp's "Gegenpress" which he claims he invented (Guardiola was doing it before him and hundreds before that) where you position yourself to start pressing as soon as you lose the ball. Or you have teams who wait till the oppo have it in their half before they start pressing. Either way some kind of work off the ball is needed, otherwise you end up with Wenger's Arsenal or Martinez's Everton. On the ball Martinez's is the best Everton I've seen but off the ball is where he failed IMHO.
Oh yeah, it's a necessity to press. I just dont want to see it elevated (wherever done on the pitch) to an art form.

Think that's what I said.

Kind of ... you said you don't like pressing football and used koemans style as an example. Koeman may have said he wanted pressing football and even try to get us playing that way but we didn't. So using our style under him as an example of boring pressing football doesn't really work does it?

anyone will do a better job than the fat mess In charge

even the 2 most recent success signings ( early days of course ) weren't down to him

Tosun was wanted by gravy man @ palace and Walcott every team outside the top 6 probably wanted him when he was available we just offered the most wages

Kind of ... you said you don't like pressing football and used koemans style as an example. Koeman may have said he wanted pressing football and even try to get us playing that way but we didn't. So using our style under him as an example of boring pressing football doesn't really work does it?
I said it in passing as a means of underlining how disastrous it would be if it were adopted with these players....and to underline how terrible a manager Koeman was and is.

Overall, we wouldn't get anywhere in this league with just pressing and having hard work as the buzzword. Even that system of playing requires a handful of great players to make it prosper.

I said it in passing as a means of underlining how disastrous it would be if it were adopted with these players....and to underline how terrible a manager Koeman was and is.

Overall, we wouldn't get anywhere in this league with just pressing and having hard work as the buzzword. Even that system of playing requires a handful of great players to make it prosper.
Id love to see us playing that way, but like you say dave, with the current crop of players it is simply not possible. Every player has to be at the peak of their individual fitness level all of the time and they have to be able to keep it for 90 min, Rooney is lucky if he can last 60 min most games.

Id love to see us playing that way, but like you say dave, with the current crop of players it is simply not possible. Every player has to be at the peak of their individual fitness level all of the time and they have to be able to keep it for 90 min, Rooney is lucky if he can last 60 min most games.
And yet I still half expect the new manager in the summer to be a disciple of the press, because we have a man who hires on a whim and will be struck by the results gained by teams like Liverpool and Leipzig.

That might change if Brands came in and brought Cocu with him. As far as I'm aware after reading around a bit, Cocu sits his defence a lot deeper and keeps shape. He looks to get on the attack via a lot of wing play. That might suit what we have right now in terms of personnel a lot better.

You didn't mention anything about trying to get "these players" to play pressing football. You said pressing football is boring

That's not a novel idea regardless of system, Dave. If we picked a manager who wanted to play that way and could find those players to play like Dortmund or Leipzig I'd be over the moon.

Don't see how our current set of poor players should in any way dictate what manager we go for. Half of them need replacing regardless. In some ways, the pending exodus is a perfect platform to bring a manager who wants a high tempo pressing style.

That's not a novel idea regardless of system, Dave. If we picked a manager who wanted to play that way and could find those players to play like Dortmund or Leipzig I'd be over the moon.

Don't see how our current set of poor players should in any way dictate what manager we go for. Half of them need replacing regardless. In some ways, the pending exodus is a perfect platform to bring a manager who wants a high tempo pressing style.
But in all likelihood the cull wont be huge. Imagine trying to shift these expensive flops for anything like a fee representing the value Koeman placed on them? No chance. They'll stay. We do have the ability though to call time on ageing garbage like Jagielka, Williams and Baines, but I;d place no money whatsoever on all three leaving. They're crustaceans that cant be easily shifted - and many supporters want them to stay.

I play in my (ex)schools staff 5 a side week very Friday. 3 of the players are rs (a cockney, 1 from the home counties and a yank).

Ever since Clopp, they all shout the same thing as soon as the opposition have possession
"Press!"

It's the only time any of them are vocal in the game (other than the usual match micky taking). It's the only footballing thing they say, like it's some kind of religious mantra.

They try telling me to press and I turn back and kindly point out that I'm nearly fifty fricking two, I remember how football can be played before the press, and the only press I'm interested in is the semi decomposed remains if the pressed grape.

Utter blerts.

We’ve a saying in our 5 a side
The ball doesn’t sweat , make it do the work

anyone will do a better job than the fat mess In charge

even the 2 most recent success signings ( early days of course ) weren't down to him

Tosun was wanted by gravy man @ palace and Walcott every team outside the top 6 probably wanted him when he was available we just offered the most wages
Allardyce wanted him when he was at Palace,but him signing for us had nothing to do with Allardyce.Odd logic there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back