Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol.

£98M he spent in three seasons.

He took in £102M from the sale of Lukaku + Deulofeu + Cleverley + Funes Mori + Lennon + Barry. Holgate would fecth a decent fee now.

We got cash back and then some.

Under the two Dutch ball bags, we'll take a massive hit. No one is buyng that lot back for just short of half a billion.

You do realise that Brands and Koeman/Walsh arent the same, right?

Its like me judging Moyes with Martinez.

And proper LOL at your figures.

You do realise that Brands and Koeman/Walsh arent the same, right?

Its like me judging Moyes with Martinez.

And proper LOL at your figures.
My figures for purchases by Martinez and cash that came back in from selling them are wrong? How?

As for your first point: who's going to pay £250M for the divvies bought by Brands?

Needs to to bring in at least two very good footballers who come in and click straight away. None of this ‘top player but he’s adjusting to the pace of the league’ [Poor language removed]. Has to get it right this window with two outs as well; Schneiderlin and Tosun. Summer window; scout young talent, 2 - 3 more quality 1st team players in and 5 outs; Keane, Pickford, Coleman, Siggurdsson, Walcott.
These should be his requirements as director of football.

Needs to to bring in at least two very good footballers who come in and click straight away. None of this ‘top player but he’s adjusting to the pace of the league’ [Poor language removed]. Has to get it right this window with two outs as well; Schneiderlin and Tosun. Summer window; scout young talent, 2 - 3 more quality 1st team players in and 5 outs; Keane, Pickford, Coleman, Siggurdsson, Walcott.
These should be his requirements as director of football.

There is far too much made generally of this whole 'adapting' nonsense.

The hidden issue is professional players who cannot pass and control a football.

Good technical players can adapt in any league.

We like to sign players who look like they run in treacle and cant hit a barn door with a ball.

There is far too much made generally of this whole 'adapting' nonsense.

The hidden issue is professional players who cannot pass and control a football.

Good technical players can adapt in any league.

We like to sign players who look like they run in treacle and cant hit a barn door with a ball.

Yep, it's not hard to pass and move, our players have no options on the ball.

We need to try and replicate what Spurs were doing a few years back.

Look at the players they brought in - Alderweireld, Eriksen, Vertonghen etc.

None of them had failed at a big club, all of them under 25 and bought for modest fees.

Aside from Gbamin potentially, we have had two summers where Brands has been conspicuously absent from the market we need to be most active in.

It seems he has us beholden to a group of agents which severely restricts our options and makes us pay over the odds.

Imo he's been every bit as bad as Walsh. Even just looking at the Iwobi deal should tell you all you need to know about him. Had ALL summer seemingly with up to 60m to splash on an attacking midfielder, went initially for a two-times overpriced showpony in Zaha, then somehow could only conjure up Iwobi as a second option, then had the nerve to come out and say he was a target all summer! Now after just half a season - but in reality after just a few games it was clear - we know full well that it's yet another disaster of a transfer that will haunt us for the next 4 years. I mean, really is that the best he could do?

Imo he's been every bit as bad as Walsh. Even just looking at the Iwobi deal should tell you all you need to know about him. Had ALL summer seemingly with up to 60m to splash on an attacking midfielder, went initially for a two-times overpriced showpony in Zaha, then somehow could only conjure up Iwobi as a second option, then had the nerve to come out and say he was a target all summer! Now after just half a season - but in reality after just a few games it was clear - we know full well that it's yet another disaster of a transfer that will haunt us for the next 4 years. I mean, really is that the best he could do?
The issue I have is. I am not sure it's only Brands buying the players so yes he deserves some criticism no centre back,little planning for Gana leaving and only buying potential at striker this summer. But I believe Moshiri is meddling in transfers Zaha stinks of him and so has Bill(Rooney) and so has Koeman(Sig? Martina? Stek? Klassen?) and Silva. Too many cooks means a muddled strategy. If you have a DOF he works with the coach to buy players. Our club has a muddled strategy from top to bottom that is the real issue.

On who besides Digne and Richarlison?

If (as @MarcelsGoat says) weve spent £178mil then we would recoup that from:

Just from those two sales we'd recoup £110mil. Dont you think the rest of the Brands signings would fetch over £68mil combined?

Inter/AC Milan and Roma would all snap Kean up for £30mil+ for example...£34mil left would be easily achieved.

We need to try and replicate what Spurs were doing a few years back.

Look at the players they brought in - Alderweireld, Eriksen, Vertonghen etc.

None of them had failed at a big club, all of them under 25 and bought for modest fees.

Aside from Gbamin potentially, we have had two summers where Brands has been conspicuously absent from the market we need to be most active in.

It seems he has us beholden to a group of agents which severely restricts our options and makes us pay over the odds.

Dont agree with the agent part but we need to be signing u23 players. 5 starters in the next 4 windows and we'd actually have a pretty decent young high potential squad

The issue I have is. I am not sure it's only Brands buying the players so yes he deserves some criticism no centre back,little planning for Gana leaving and only buying potential at striker this summer. But I believe Moshiri is meddling in transfers Zaha stinks of him and so has Bill(Rooney) and so has Koeman(Sig? Martina? Stek? Klassen?) and Silva. Too many cooks means a muddled strategy. If you have a DOF he works with the coach to buy players. Our club has a muddled strategy from top to bottom that is the real issue.

2022 all our deadwood our out of contract by then. That means that in 1.5 seasons they will all be gone or have 1 year left to be sold or go on loan, never to be seen again.

The amount of wages we will save over the next 1.5 seasons will be insane and solve all the financial issues at the club...

I posted this in the Inconvenient truth thread but also applies here:

My take on the players:

BACK FIVE
Pickford: Englands starting goalkeeper. No doubt there are better goalies around and he seems a bit of a nutter but lets remember hes still only 25. For a keeper thats the same as being a 20/21 year old outfield player in terms of longevity.

Kenny: Whether he's improved or not, hes a good player to have in the squad. Local lad, fits the homegrown criteria and an able backup player with a lot of heart and passion.

Holgate: Desperately needs to be coached to show him where to be positionally. Really needs 1-1 attention. No doubt now that hes a good player to have in the squad, wants to win and has a bit of snide.

Mina: Needs positional coaching and not to be playing the ball out from the back. Hes a physical monster and will be very handy against big opposition forwards.

Digne: Clearly a top player but this season hes been awful. Rumours of a massive Lyon bid for him last summer may have turned his head or that hes playing with an injury. Hopefully Carlo can get him back up to the same level as last season.

Thats on paper a back 5. However to have 2 players competing for a position we need 10 players and the rest of them arent good enough.

MIDFIELD

Gomes: Massively inconsistent and has suffered a terrible injury, should be classed as a squad player until he shows consistency.

Gbamin: Total unknown and has suffered an injury, squad player.

Davies: Getting to the point now where he leaves or improves. Hes a homegrown player and so worthwhile keeping him in the squad.

Iwobi: Hes a bit of an enigma, seems decent in the middle but average out wide. Another homegrown player and not old...its worthwhile to have him in the squad.

So we have 4 squad players there and need to sign 2 players of a much higher standard.

ATTACKERS

Bernard: Good on the left and seems to improve Digne. Almost zero goal threat but a good player to have in the squad.

Kean: Young 19 year old kid...keep him in the squad.

DCL: Homegrown player, could be on course for 15 over the season. A good player to have in the squad and hope he improves further.

Richarlison: our biggest threat and hardest worker. Carlo has to bring in top players to compliment his game and feed him chances.

On the face of it we have:

1 GK
4 DF
4 MF
4 FW

Thats 13 players who are worthwhile keeping around the squad.

We should aim for a 25 man squad, 3 keepers so we need 10 more outfield players of which 2 more must be homegrown.

The focus has to be on players in the u26 bracket (with my personal preference u23) to build the squad over the next 4 windows culminating with deadwood sold or in the final year of their contracts.

Its not as bad as it seems and the addition of five top players will see our fortunes change.

Weve got 13 players who should be in the squad.

If you discount the 2nd and 3rd choice keepers we need another 10 players to fit the 25 man squad level.

If we can sign 2 players this window and 3 more in the summer, all high quality, top potential u23 players...then we'll be 5 players off having an exciting young squad.

The key is that any players signed now must be young and able to be starters very quickly.

Brands signings we can make our money back on easily...weve now got to aim for a higher level of young player with big transfer fees and low wages like Moshiri said.

£200mil with that criteria and we'll see some big changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back