Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I;m asking it now...
So, you hadn't asked it before ?

It makes no sense for any DOF to have complete say regarding transfers , buying players that the current manager simply doesn't want. We have seen examples of players being isolated at clubs because the manager didn't want to sign him and after he was brought to the club then the manager didn't use him.

Equally, we above all clubs have shown that reckless spending by a manager can go disastrously wrong and leaves a huge problem when the manager moves on.

The answer is that I would like cooperation between manager and DOF in signing players.

I honestly do not believe that Carlo Ancelotti will be at Everton for a long number of years. I think that he may stay for 3 to 4 years and when he goes we cannot afford to have the same problem as the one we had after Koeman and Allrydyce.

Just now I believe we do need at least two or three experienced professionals that CA can trust to come in and organise the team as the manager wants. They may be loans or even players that are in their thirties like Mertens or N'Zonzi. But, in the longer term we need to sign players that have a longer shelf life and players the manager can improve.

Unfortunately, I think we have to look at and copy our neighbours template.

Its the character attributes of the players we have bought that is most worrying to me. Little to no thought is being given to this.
That is why I have zero faith in Brands.

Coleman (who unfortunately is on the decline) is the only player in the squad with anything approaching the drive you associate with a top class player.

If you buy players for good value based on their performances your team should improve.
If you buy players who don't improve their value by quality on the pitch but have spirit, organisation, heart and instil confidence and similar attributes to the rest
of the team you can also improve.

However, we have bought players for terrible value for money over the last few years (we should make some on Richarlison - Silva signing, and a little bit on Digne, Gueye was our best signing by a long, long way - but this DOF let him go for peanuts).

The key element is that we are buying players that give zero to the spirit, organisation, confidence, inspiration to anyone in the team but themselves.

Until we buy players with leadership qualities and especially through the spine of the team - we will not improve.

Brands for me doesn't understand this.

He did not bother buying a centre half in the summer, never mind a leader that was required.
He did not buy a centre mid who is a leader/inspiration.
He bought a 19 year old foreign kid with known attitude problems for up front.

That is truly shocking.

Its the character attributes of the players we have bought that is most worrying to me. Little to no thought is being given to this.

Coleman (who unfortunately is on the decline) is the only player in the squad with anything approaching the drive you associate with a top class player.

If you buy players for good value based on their performances your team should improve.
If you buy players who don't improve their value by quality on the pitch but have spirit, organisation, heart and instil confidence and similar attributes to the rest

However, we have bought players for terrible value for money over the last few years (we should make some on Richarlison - Silva signing, and a little bit on Digne, Gueye was our best signing by a long, long way - but this DOF let him go for peanuts).

The key element is that we are buying players that give zero to the spirit, organisation, confidence, inspiration to anyone in the team but themselves.

Until we buy players with leadership qualities and especially through the spine of the team - we will not improve.

He did not bother buying a centre half in the summer, never mind a leader that was required.

That is truly shocking.

Difficult one, we've had four or five international or former captains in the starting 11 in recent years (thinking of the days Williams, Rooney, Klaassen former Ajax Captain etc) and we've been turd.

That is truly shocking.

Can we stop this revisionalist history about the CB? He was in the market for a CB, he had lined up options for CB when it was clear Zouma wasn’t coming back, Silva insisted on pushing on to get Kurt back, Brands had moved on to try and get Tomori on a similar loan which Chelsea agreed until Luiz decided he wanted to go to Arsenal. We turned attention to Rojo on loan until United decided to arse about wanting a ridiculous amount for him so the club rightly pulled out of the deal

I just want us to stop buying players with the attitude of “I’ve played for [insert big club name here] they don’t want me anymore so let’s go and earn some nice easy cash at rich smaller clubs”. Bring in some young hungry players who want to make that step up, stop bringing in players who are all well and good when the seasons over and it doesn’t matter anymore but the second there’s a bit on the line or it gets tough wilt and look around for someone better to show some balls just like they did at Barca or United or City or whoever.

Yes but Williams/Rooneys legs had gone. They had no confidence in their own ability anymore.

Buy leaders who are not well into their 30's and well past their sell buy date.

Just look at that Minamino lad for Lpool. They got him for 7mill. After 30 minutes you could see he was levels above anything we had. His desire, commitment was total and he was even pointing fingers on his first game for the club. Players like Milner/Henderson are no world beaters but they knew what characters they had.

Why is it so easy for Lpool to identify these qualities in players and we seem to have zero skill in that area.

Can we stop this revisionalist history about the CB? He was in the market for a CB, he had lined up options for CB when it was clear Zouma wasn’t coming back, Silva insisted on pushing on to get Kurt back, Brands had moved on to try and get Tomori on a similar loan which Chelsea agreed until Luiz decided he wanted to go to Arsenal. We turned attention to Rojo on loan until United decided to arse about wanting a ridiculous amount for him so the club rightly pulled out of the deal
Yes let's stop with this revisionist history and run with this one that i've just made up in my head instead.

That is truly shocking.

Problem is, there very few “leaders” in football anymore.

These guys are mollycoddled by clubs from a very early age and by their mid teens most of them are too obsessed with their own passing stats etc. to worry about stepping up to the plate and actually “leading” their teammates out on the pitch.

And they react badly to any criticism...look at Pickford’s petulant reaction when Digne and Coleman had a go at him over his poor positioning in either the Burnley or Arsenal game.

Your Vieras, Terrys, Roy Keanes, Kompanys et al are a dying breed, if not already extinct.

How have I made it up? It was well reported that we moved for Tomori then Chelsea had to scrap it when Luiz wanted out
It was widely reported that Tomori was due to be our back up to Zouma, yes. The rest of it is pure supposition on your part. That's fine like, we all do it and you might be right. But if you're going to call another view revisionist, you can't really just put your own spin things and pass it off as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back