2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
For budgeting purposes at least, arguably better to have no loan at all. At least then you know your money's committed, rather than having no idea whether you're going to get lumbered with another £70k or not.

I’d say wages off the books even if temporarily would be better. I don’t see the Bolasie loan being some sort of crux to last Summer’s deals.

I’d say wages off the books even if temporarily would be better. I don’t see the Bolasie loan being some sort of crux to last Summer’s deals.
Depends how you look at it. If you give Brands the benefit of the doubt (as many do) that loaning people out is preferable to selling them because of book value, then you also have to accept that the flip side of that is situations like this. Either immediate gain is good or it's not, it can't be either depending on which one makes him sound better in the circumstances.

Depends how you look at it. If you give Brands the benefit of the doubt (as many do) that loaning people out is preferable to selling them because of book value, then you also have to accept that the flip side of that is situations like this. Either immediate gain is good or it's not, it can't be either depending on which one makes him sound better in the circumstances.

I presume Brands would have preferred most of our loans to be sales to be fair.

Brands' maxim:

Cant sell, wont buy

...yet another duffer to add to the club's long list of 'secretaries', 'CEOs' and 'DoFs'....Dunford, Wyness, Walsh, Elstone, Baxendale.....all part of the problem rather than the solution.

Brands' maxim:

Cant sell, wont buy

...yet another duffer to add to the club's long list of 'secretaries', 'CEOs' and 'DoFs'....Dunford, Wyness, Walsh, Elstone, Baxendale.....all part of the problem rather than the solution.
There's one person still at the club who's overseen all those appointments.

Brands' maxim:

Cant sell, wont buy

Can't sell, can't buy. I don't see the problem with this from a business perspective and can't use it as a stick to beat him with. Too many players on too much money for anyone else to come in for them unless there's some 'creative' dealing (pay off the player to go, and/ or cheap sales) or there book value drops to allow them to be written off.

There is however some absolute dross in that list though... I do hope that Brands proves to be a cut above them.

He's at the very least accepted it. So now he has accepted it - make it work. But he isn't, is he?

He doesn’t have any choice in the matter - there is either money to be spent or there isn’t, and that is not his shout at the moment.

In terms of making it work, we will find out soon. However you must accept that it not an easy job to flog some of the dead horses we have earning massive wages?

@Neiler is spot on. This is a 3 year process as our unwanted players contracts expire we can then use the money to bring in better players.

The downside of course is that we only have a few players who are worth a position.
I think this is a major problem. All our unwanted players are not wanted by anyone else. You then see the rs getting 10 times the value of the dross they discard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back