2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The decision was made very early this window to consider no one. We were pretty much told that by Brands. The window was always going to remain locked for us. So it really didn't matter in the end who was or wasn't available.

Bottom line: it was a dispiritingly ambitionless window carried out by a man completely in lock step with a board that has prudence now as its watchword as we head into a period that makes or breaks the stadium scheme.

On that basis, be prepared for an equally parsimonious summer too.
Bed now dave.

I know, it’s almost like every club has a deep scouting network and they all signed magical players over the January window.

Oh no, wait, Peter Crouch came back to the prem.

That was based on that level of club requiring that level of player. One teams rubbish is another teams treasure. Maybe they have a system that suits him and can get the most out of him, attributing a cost per goal perhaps? My point was that people seem to hammer davek for some reason and when folk don't like what he's saying, they ask him to produce goods that our club has employed people to do. He simply points out the short fallings of our club. The man talks sense a lot of the time.

The decision was made very early this window to consider no one. We were pretty much told that by Brands. The window was always going to remain locked for us. So it really didn't matter in the end who was or wasn't available.

Bottom line: it was a dispiritingly ambitionless window carried out by a man completely in lock step with a board that has prudence now as its watchword as we head into a period that makes or breaks the stadium scheme.

On that basis, be prepared for an equally parsimonious summer too.

But we were in for Bats apparently.

Like the last 3 windows where have spent best part of 170mil you mean?!

Hardly anyone spent money this window. Our dross had no hope.

IN the summer, Brands will find teams for the deadwood and we will start to build a team that we all want. Young, potential, high sell on value but also playing an exciting brand of football.

Currently we do not have the resources to achieve this.

I would rather we get rid of players, bring money in so we can see how much in wages we have to play with and then get in the best we can for those positions rather than do what we did last January and buy filler players like Cenk and Theo who we now know are not good enough to move us forward.

We have to be patient but clearly some struggle with this concept.

I'd still call it a hopelessly short term decision, because we need a striker in now to bed in for next season.
I can agree with that line of thought for sure but I'd like to think that there is a main target in mind at present for a CF who obviously wasn't available during this window and or wasn't available for the money we'd available to spend. The fact we didn't go for Bats, (which would've been short termism) even on loan, backs up my line of thinking imo. Again it's probably the same reason we didn't sell Gueye for anything under our asking price, it probably ties in with the fee/ wages of the first choice forward we're after.

That was based on that level of club requiring that level of player. One teams rubbish is another teams treasure. Maybe they have a system that suits him and can get the most out of him, attributing a cost per goal perhaps? My point was that people seem to hammer davek for some reason and when folk don't like what he's saying, they ask him to produce goods that our club has employed people to do. He simply points out the short fallings of our club. The man talks sense a lot of the time.

But how can you call it a failing of the club if you don’t know what we’ve tried to do or what we plan to do?

"Reality" and "pragmatism" - they seem to be the crumbs of comfort taken from the ashes of that horrendously and inappropriately low key January transfer window.

Let's just call it for what it was: a conscious decision to stay about midtable.

Not sure too many on here when Moshiri came in would have expected that, but that's where we are. Treading water.
Well I'm moving slowly towards the treading water camp myself. I want to see success and progress and the team winning. Being competently run is one of the foundations to build upon, but they've still got my good will. Next summer is key for me to see if they keep it.

If the commerical deals the club are involved with over the next 6 months are good, and transfers target the right positions with players who have an acceptable risk profile with them (ie balance of age, promise, proven ability, price, etc. for whatever position is being filled) and enough of the deadwood is shipped out that it's only a few skid marks left on the pan of that transfer policy, then that side gets a pass and it's the playing and managerial staff who are under scrutiny.

The honeymoon period is over now. Get to work people. Nil satis...

Have a feeling a lack of confidence in a "gamble" managerial appointment could mean any money they may have had would be held back.
Concerning if true. This is supposed to be the point of having a DoF, putting in place a style of play and identifying players so that there's continuity even if the manager changes. If Silva is choosing the players, or our next manager may want to play a totally different style, then we've somehow succeeded in making the football operations side of things even more of a mess than it was previously, which would be quite an achievement.

Leipzig made a very reasonable offer. £25M + add ons, for a player who cost Everton £11M a year earlier. The deal was there to be done. It was poor judgement to turn that down.

In short: I have zero faith in Brands to make a sensible decision on shifting our players out.
Maybe Silva viewed Lookman as a player who could become integral in his team
One thing Brands has a proven record in is identifying young players with potential and developing them

Concerning if true. This is supposed to be the point of having a DoF, putting in place a style of play and identifying players so that there's continuity even if the manager changes. If Silva is choosing the players, or our next manager may want to play a totally different style, then we've somehow succeeded in making the football operations side of things even more of a mess than it was previously, which would be quite an achievement.

Still need a collaborative approval and any new manager I'm sure would like a few quid.

the club never indicated they were in for Bats. Not spending on a striker makes sense if the striker they want is not available. Other wise you end up with Tosun mk2. Having said that, I hope the targeted striker in soon in through the doors in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back