2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Embarrassment? The depths of your pisstaking continue to know no bounds. Statements rendering Moshiri an embarrassment don't help.

I wouldn’t go as far as calling Moshiri ambarassment, but he has been extremely embarrassing at times.

I’m thinking the Sissoko debacle (James McCarthy is our family).

His Jim White interviews (hellloooo Jim!).

Him personally scouting Cenk Tosun.

His comments about Lukaku and the voodoo.

His recent comments re us being a museum before he got here.

Etc.

He can be v embarrassing, no doubt.

I think Moshiri’s business plan will become clearer in the summer.

I think it’s clear already. He doesn’t intend that we will splash top-6 style cash, he wants to invest cash in youth (at player and management level) and make profit on experience. He wants transfers to be as self-sufficient as possible. He wants to get the stadium project finalised to grow his capital and see a healthy ROI.

I think it’s clear already. He doesn’t intend that we will splash top-6 style cash, he wants to invest cash in youth (at player and management level) and make profit on experience. He wants transfers to be as self-sufficient as possible. He wants to get the stadium project finalised to grow his capital and see a healthy ROI.
The only teams who really splash the cash in the Top 6 are Man City and Man Utd. Outside of them two, we’ve spent comparable amounts, or in some cases more than the other members.

We should have been in a much stronger position, given our outlay.

After Koeman’s first season, I think we were 16 points clear of 8th place and then we went and spent £230m in one season and went backwards. The level of mismanagement is incomprehensible.

Embarrassment? The depths of your pisstaking continue to know no bounds.

Sure, agreed he should not be involved in the final decisions involving the footballing side.
But you can't say the man does not have qualities to run a business, bc clearly he does.

The mistake these guys make is thinking this is a business and not a club.
Bc they are two different things.
This is where they fumble.

As supporters we have to vigilant.
And would argue we have to be more proactive in arresting the tide in it becoming more business and less club.

But statements like rendering Moshiri to an embarrassment don't help.
Does he? Provide the evidence for that statement. He's an accountant who managed Usmanov's money and was rewarded for it by being handed a 5% stake in one of Usmanov's businesses...an energy business which he grabbed off the state in the wild west days of the breaking up of the Soviet economy. Moshiri is not an entrepreniur; he's not a creative mind. He squireled away billions in the west for Usmanov. That's all. Being in thrall to the likes of Moshiri - a bag carrier - is ridiculous.

The only teams who really splash the cash in the Top 6 are Man City and Man Utd. Outside of them two, we’ve spent comparable amounts

Yes, but our spending will drop off - what we’ve seen is a (failed) attempt at revamping the squad with an initial big outlay.

Spending wise, we can’t compete with Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal.

We should have been in a much stronger position, given our outlay.

After Koeman’s first season, I think we were 16 points clear of 8th place and then we went and spent £230m in one season and went backwards. The level of mismanagement is incomprehensible.

Don’t disagree with any of that... it’s been a disaster.

My only hope that we’re not sell to buy is him saying in the AGM that we can buy young players for big fees, but have them on lower wages.

Walsh was signing 28+ year olds on big fees and huge wages, meaning we can’t get any fee back on them and no one else wants to pay the wages.

I think Moshiri’s business plan will become clearer in the summer.
That's not new as a policy at Everton. We all could complie a list of those types of signings in the last decade - players who fit that description. But the vast majority end up getting no playing time at all.

One of the best things to happen to us in a long time is Marcel.

A lesser man might of been tempted to blow money last month, buying zero shows how professional he is, understands with a squad too big no point adding with nothing to play for.
I never thought of it that way until you said, but that's a really good point. It's really easy to spend money when it's someone else's. Anyone out there who doesn' t believe that then give me $1000 of your beautiful money and I will do a good job spending it for you. (sorry, NZ keyboard so only $ to spend)

Does he? Provide the evidence for that statement. He's an accountant who managed Usmanov's money and was rewarded for it by being handed a 5% stake in one of Usmanov's businesses...an energy business which he grabbed off the state in the wild west days of the breaking up of the Soviet economy. Moshiri is not an entrepreniur; he's not a creative mind. He squireled away billions in the west for Usmanov. That's all. Being in thrall to the likes of Moshiri - a bag carrier - is ridiculous.

Still doing more than a certain well known forum troll.

Yes, but our spending will drop off - what we’ve seen is a (failed) attempt at revamping the squad with an initial big outlay.

Spending wise, we can’t compete with Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Don’t disagree with any of that... it’s been a disaster.

On the spending drop off case, im afraid that has to be case really. I suspect the next set of accounts will show another big investment from Moshiri, a show of faith in Brands and Silva last summer, its not an insignificant investment again.

In all honestly i can see in this window and the next few he is pulling up the ladder after him. To invest more in the team at this point is to throw petrol on the fire of what is already is there. When you look at the team and squad , its layers of product of 5 different managers with five different football philosophies and zero congruence in planning. Effectively each manager got a few bob, picked up about five players that suited their ideas and disenfranchised the rest. We look at what we are a mismatch of a team built by five different people.

If Moshiri was to throw more money at it, its the same thing again another 4-5 players, on top of a squad of 50, like i say petrol on the fire. Thats before you look at wages we have a wage bill getting very close to 140mill, we wil make probably about 175mill this year. We have other operating costs. of 60 million largely made up of paying of Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce and their coaches and the associated stadium costs. So essentially we are spending just over 200 million a year and making 175, carrying a squad of nearly 50 players with a massive wage bill, without an investor we would be to the pin of our color to pay.

It would be absolutely negligent to the welfare of the club, to bring in any more players until their are outs, simply put the club would be in serious trouble tomorrow if Moshiri walked away tomorrow, not that i think it will.

I would accuse Moshiri as being very committed to Everton but very naive, he has invested a lot of money and likely continues to do so, but many poor decisions have led us to do this point. Chopping and changing the managers and allowing them to invest in players has seen us waste well over 100s million (in fees, wages losses, compensation), for limited return or essentially stand still.

If any other money is investment in players, before outs the situation i describe above is only made worse and bad for the welfare of the club. Outs are the key for us now in terms of regulating our cash flow and resources, time is also needed, as players contracts need to wind down and the legacy of compensation to old managers needs to be done. If we can manage outs, reduce the wage bill, player trade a bit, reduce other operating costs on compensation, we should be coming out of the woods in a couple of years.

The job of Silva and Brands is a three year anti virus job. If we were to throw any more money at its like throwing petrol on the fire and would be very worrying.

To summerise, we are spending, 200 mill, making 175 and have a squad of 50 players - it would be lunacy to add to our cost base. In a weird way Mohirii has invested so much, that the club cant handle the day to day expenses of that investment. But really he has made massively poor decisions on how or who acted on his behalf in actioning that investment.

That's not new as a policy at Everton. We all could complie a list of those types of signings in the last decade - players who fit that description. But the vast majority end up getting no playing time at all.
But they’ve never been bought for big fees.

For example, it’s better buying 21 year old Richarlison for £50m, than spending £20m on Walcott and giving him £140k p/w.

I never thought of it that way until you said, but that's a really good point. It's really easy to spend money when it's someone else's. Anyone out there who doesn' t believe that then give me $1000 of your beautiful money and I will do a good job spending it for you. (sorry, NZ keyboard so only $ to spend)
Mr. Brands has a duty not just to Moshiri, but to the fans. For the past 18 Months we have needed a proper right back and a first class striker. I think that if
Mr. Brands can't do the job, then he should resign. If he was any good at his job, I feel sure that we'd hear rumblings from PSG, Real or Barca. As far as you are concerned, I think you should stick to your 2nd rate cricket team and your 3rd rate football team.

Im still on the fence about Brands a bit.

There are some things i like and some things i dont thus far to be honest.

I think he has recruited well enough, Digne, Richarlison, Gomes, i think Mina will prove a good signing as i can see his quality - dont like the deal though, wouldn't be a massive fan of Zouma to be honest. I also suspect Silva had a big say in those players.

Something that never gets mentioned is the profile of the signings he has made, he has brought the average age of the squad right down, that is a very very clever.

I like what i heard about him, taking authority in the summer around negotiations, essentially i heard we were making a dogs dinner as usual of closing deals and he benched the usual culprits and did the deals himself.

I like how he kept his powder dry this window and didnt spend anything, that is not an easy thing to do in a new role, club under pressure and obvious gaping holes in the team.

I would also have a bit of understanding for him in terms of the manure show he walked into here, its a very difficult job to manage the legacy of three years of some of the poorest decisions in the clubs history.

Where i would critique him.

I havent seen us sign one academy player or player with potential, from the lower leagues or abroad, i know there are limits on us with the ban but that doesnt mean every young player.

I think the deals out haven't been great, ok hes done deals for loans out and thats fine as a short term measure, but essentially we have 20 odd players returning on loan in the summer and its going to be the same problem again, rinse and repeat. The much maligned Steve Walsh did very well with outs and moving on dead wood permanently.

Personally i, and i know others will think differently, i didnt like the interview after the summer transfer window where he tried to raise his profile and do a victory lap after a popular window. I felt this window he left Silva front line and center to take the heat at a time Silva was under pressure anyway and less popular with fans. Thought it was bit hypocritical and bad form. I dont agree with a DOF doing interviews anyway, but if you do it after a successful window, do it during a painful one too. I admire Silva for keeping his dignity throughout.

Last edited:
But they’ve never been bought for big fees.

For example, it’s better buying 21 year old Richarlison for £50m, than spending £20m on Walcott and giving him £140k p/w.
I really dont think that's the type of younger player Moshiri is thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back