Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else feel its a bit of a bad time to appoint a new DOF, obviously we want him for a reason and we will give him a crack. Remember when we appointed Walsh in the summer and it seemed to stilt our activity that summer, i am not just thinking of signings i am also thinking of selling players as we clearly need to rationalise and make space in the squad and i assume the wage bill.

Part of me hopes Walsh stays for that reason or the roles could dove tail in a system.

I think Walsh joined in July though. If we can tie something up as soon as the season ends or even sooner then the problem could be avoided.

Latest reports state that he will decide "within a week". The only reason I can think of for his delaying his decision is that he won't confirm he is coming until Allardyce & Walsh are going. Otherwise, surely he would say Yes or No now?

It's going to be very difficult to get a manager that Brands is fully onboard with, and that's presuming a new manager and DOF.

The club must be well down the road with preparations for Allardyce's successor, if that's the plan of action.

Unless Brands and Moshiri are coincidentally of the same mind, it's likely there will be some divergence between their opinions.

If Moshiri and the board are still scratching their heads as to whether or not to get shut of Allardyce, let alone who is to replace him, then that's just another nail in the coffin as to our hopes for an improvement next season.

If Brands was to join in the next fortnight, then perhaps he could at least be consulted on a shortlist, but surely we need another manager by the start of the World Cup at the latest.

I'd rather Brands joined come what may and Walsh goes, its a mess but at least we can start over with new people.

It's going to be very difficult to get a manager that Brands is fully onboard with, and that's presuming a new manager and DOF.

The club must be well down the road with preparations for Allardyce's successor, if that's the plan of action.

Unless Brands and Moshiri are coincidentally of the same mind, it's likely there will be some divergence between their opinions.

If Moshiri and the board are still scratching their heads as to whether or not to get shut or Allardyce, let alone who is to replace him, then that's just another nail in the coffin as to our hopes for an improvement next season.

If Brands was to join in the next fortnight, then perhaps he could at least be consulted on a shortlist, but surely we need another manager by the start of the World Cup at the latest.

I'd rather Brands joined come what may and Walsh goes, its a mess but at least we can start over with new people.

You would hope that Brands has already agreed to join us and advised on a new manager. If not, then next season will be another shambles.

Anyone else feel its a bit of a bad time to appoint a new DOF, obviously we want him for a reason and we will give him a crack. Remember when we appointed Walsh in the summer and it seemed to stilt our activity that summer, i am not just thinking of signings i am also thinking of selling players as we clearly need to rationalise and make space in the squad and i assume the wage bill.

Part of me hopes Walsh stays for that reason or the roles could dove tail in a system.

I think you'll find Walsh was the reason why we were stilted in the summer not because we brought in a dof

If Moshiri and the board are still scratching their heads as to whether or not to get shut of Allardyce, let alone who is to replace him, then that's just another nail in the coffin as to our hopes for an improvement next season.

lol I haven't got my hopes up with the bit in bold.

Agree with the rest though

You would hope that Brands has already agreed to join us and advised on a new manager. If not, then next season will be another shambles.

I would like to think so, but have my doubts.

It probably depends on how forceful a personality Brands might be. I would actually rather the manager process was held up by a week or two if Brands or any other potential DOF was confident enough in themselves to tell the board that we could do better than Person X.

The worry is the Brands comes in and just waves through the appointment of a manager, such as Silva, and its back to the nod and wink culture again.

Someone - Brands or anyone else - actually has to step up and think of the right thing to do in the long-term, for the club and not themselves.

Brands sounds promising but whoever our new sporting director / DoF is they will need support to change the whole culture of the club.

It can't just be about 1 man, every single position needs reviewing to see if we are working towards Everton winning trophies.

Can't get an interview I heard with one of our youth coaches (think it was Sean Lundon) and his peer from Gent out of my head. Gent guy (developed De Bruyne and others) was going on about how they invested in science, used multi-sports to develop movement, worked with scientists to see what they could learn. Lundon pretty much dismissed it all as nonsense and said "we are a football club, we play football"

Now Sean might be right. All the extra stuff might be pointless but it was the way he just dismissed it without giving an argument as to why just spoke volumes about "proper football men" attitudes. Seemed a lack of curiosity which concerned me.

It's far from an ideal time but I would prefer we made the necessary changes come what may rather than sticking with failures.

If there are as many changes as we think then we can expect another bumpy ride next season as it simply will be very difficult to progress whilst so many new people get to know the club and each other.

It looks like circumstances and timing are aligning such that we could have close to a clean sweep of senior positions. It would actually be much tougher to have to cope with that if we were succcessful and had to break up a good unit/team.

We simply can't go on as we are any longer with some of the same old tired faces and ways of doing things that have been proven beyond doubt that don't work.
I’ve no problem with a bumpy ride next season or the one after
I’ll settle for anywhere between 8/12 place IF and I mean IF. I see a plan , a strategy , a style of playing football and players bought to fit that style and team selections , substitutions and tactics following that overall plan / strategy.
What I don’t want is anymore of Martinez attacking football and a defensive shambles , a shoddy hit and miss Koeman side or an anti football FSA team.
I want the best we can possibly achieve and something I can believe in

You stated nobody else in Spain could afford his wages,I just pointed out that monetarily at least two clubs can.How that's digging a hole is a bit of a stretch,but if it keeps you happy,fine.
They could afford it but obviously are not willing to pay it.
I could afford pay 300 Euro for a meal for 2 , but I’m not willing to.
Therefore the meal does not get bought

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back