Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t though, that’s utter hogwash that everyone is swallowing for some reason because they read it somewhere once.

McCarthy, Mirallas and Besic’s book value will be zero, paying them wages for another year and releasing them on a free will not help us at all, it’s just throwing money away. We’ve also made big book profits on Gana, Lookman, vlasic, browning and maybe more this year, it would be an ideal time to take the small hit on someone like Bolasie as it would just slightly reduce profit rather than leading to an actual loss.

I get what you're saying, but I was referring more to Bolasie's 26m fee, Tosun's 28m fee which stick out in the mind the most. I fully expect us to get reasonable fees for McCarthy (5m), Besic (3/4m), Pennington (2m) (and possibly Holgate & Oneykuru) by the end of the window.

As for the rest of the deadwood, if you've seen Mirallas (~60k), Niasse (~60k), Martina (~40k), Stekelenburg (~40k), Sandro (120k) or Schneiderlin (100k+) play before, you'd need your head checking to sanction a move for any of them if it involves matching their current salaries.

Moreover, if our new model is working, we'll be no doubt moving on high performers for sizable profits in the near future, so you'd think that 'big book profits' are just beginning, curbing the impulse to just move those two (Bolasie & Tosun) on in this window for losses and thus reduce our financial wiggle-room. I say this because now seems like the most opportune time in recent memory to break into the top 4/5/6, and so I would hope the club would go to all lengths to bridge the gap through player investment whilst it's still manageable.

If he can land Zaha to go with Kean he will deserve a lot of credit.

Richarlison.........Kean..........Zaha

I'd love to seer those three getting at Liverpool in a derby.

Stuff of dreams, even if we don’t, having the former 2 with Bernard in the left is still a pretty exciting prospect

I get what you're saying, but I was referring more to Bolasie's 26m fee, Tosun's 28m fee which stick out in the mind the most. I fully expect us to get reasonable fees for McCarthy (5m), Besic (3/4m), Pennington (2m) (and possibly Holgate & Oneykuru) by the end of the window.

As for the rest of the deadwood, if you've seen Mirallas (~60k), Niasse (~60k), Martina (~40k), Stekelenburg (~40k), Sandro (120k) or Schneiderlin (100k+) play before, you'd need your head checking to sanction a move for any of them if it involves matching their current salaries.

Moreover, if our new model is working, we'll be no doubt moving on high performers for sizable profits in the near future, so you'd think that 'big book profits' are just beginning, curbing the impulse to just move those two (Bolasie & Tosun) on in this window for losses and thus reduce our financial wiggle-room. I say this because now seems like the most opportune time in recent memory to break into the top 4/5/6, and so I would hope the club would go to all lengths to bridge the gap through player investment whilst it's still manageable.
I don't disagree.

I've said a couple of times, this may not be the right place to discuss it because I really don't mean to suggest that there's any issue with Brands' work. I was just thinking out loud really, that I do find it fairly surprising that some of our players seem unwanted elsewhere. Obviously there must be reasons for it, maybe I'm just somehow overrating them in a bizarre way, but I would honestly expect the likes of McCarthy, Bolasie, Besic, Tosun to be fairly desirable for certain clubs.

Give the man credit.

Last season he added Gomes (25), Bernard (26), Zouma (24), Richarlison (21) and Mina (24) to the team. Everyone bar Mina (due to his injuries and stop start season) was undoubtedly a success.

He has now made Gomes permanent for less than what Tyrone Mings and some guy called Adam Webster have gone for. Plus he's signing one of the brightest prospects in the world for £29mill (upfront) without a buyback clause.

Yes we are leaving it late but if we sign 2-3 more players with the same level of quality on deadline day this year, 3 minutes before the cutoff its not ideal but it doesnt matter.

Brands has not given anyone any reason so far to doubt him so lets just see what we are left with after the window.

As for the outgoing players, you cant beat him with that stick. Yes its his job to get rid, but also try to recover as much money as possible whilst doing so.

Zaha would light up this team. He is one of the genuinely few players who can get fans up of their seats.

He'd electrify our attack.

Brands needs to prioritise this and CB now.

I agree on the priorities, but don’t think they’ll happen early.

I think we’ll get a replacement for Gana this week, but think CB and Winger will go right to the wire as think we’re holding out for Zouma and Zaha.

ZZ Top priorities, if you like.

Just have a feeling those deals aren’t dead.

“I love it when the plan starts coming together....
8DE6612F-A15B-4182-A8F5-6E2141B8581A.webp

... ready the Genie”.....
8C49FB3A-6B89-484A-A9FE-E7F9E9DA103D.webp

Zaha would light up this team. He is one of the genuinely few players who can get fans up of their seats.

He'd electrify our attack.

Brands needs to prioritise this and CB now.

Agree with you on this one Dave, he's the best dribbler in the prem now Hazard has gone.

About to enter the twilight years of his career too. Teams would struggle to double up on him and Richarlison - with Kean being free to finish.

I'd easily throw 60m and 2 players at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back