Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is that a winger wasn’t a huge priority. If we didn’t bid for Zaha and brought in Iwobi and a CB at the end of the window we’d all be delighted. We didn’t really need to spend big on a CM either.

Not getting a CB is a bit of a disaster but if Mina and Keane stay fit we’ll be fine - our next move should be to get a deal set up for January for a long term boss CB.
Bidding for Zaha , Doucoure and Iwobi and not bidding for a CB is crazy
Arsenal signing Luiz blindsided him and he had no other plans ready to go

The reality is that a winger wasn’t a huge priority. If we didn’t bid for Zaha and brought in Iwobi and a CB at the end of the window we’d all be delighted. We didn’t really need to spend big on a CM either.

Not getting a CB is a bit of a disaster but if Mina and Keane stay fit we’ll be fine - our next move should be to get a deal set up for January for a long term boss CB.

We better have one boss young CB signed and sealed on 1st of January.

Doucoure and Zaha not so sure we are going to splash huge money on them next summer as they are a year older. 27 by next summer.

It was definitely a failure on the face of it. We should’ve had a CB in and we didn’t get one so there’s no excuses.

I’m not even sure the Luiz situation changed anything - I imagine Luiz knew Zouma was ahead of him in the pecking order and pushed for a move.

I would’ve honestly taken Cahill on a free as he would’ve been happy as back up.

We better have one boss young CB signed and sealed on 1st of January.

Doucoure and Zaha not so sure we are going to splash huge money on them next summer as they are a year older. 27 by next summer.

Agreed. Age isn’t that big a deal because even a 27/28 year old CB who is class would be ideal for us. As long as we can get 4+ years out of whoever we splash money on, I don’t mind.

Silva has publicly stated he wanted anothe CB
surely he knows of a better CB than Holgate who would have been available
Stalling /jones /rojo stinks of desperation and someone who was near enough to pall mall to make the medical in time
I’m a big fan of Brands but he messed up big time at the end of the window

More than one thing can be true at once. Firstly that Brands has, for the most part been exemplary here in, but also that he had a chaotic end to the window (the only relief being we didn't actually pay the money for Rojo).

A lot of the job is about pre-planning to avoid getting yourself into difficult situations. Thats where Walsh seemed to fall down a lot, he ended up going down traps.

In hindsight I think Brands will have to learn from the final week. He may need to learn that dealing with English clubs can be different and ore challenging than European Clubs. Lets be honest, European clubs are actively trying to facilitate deals for players to England as they get very decent fees for them. In fairness Brands has exploited this very well. However in England there is far more of a reticence to negotiate and do deals.

I'd suggest he had information from Chelsea and they probably moved the goalposts and screwed us over a bit. I can imagine they said Zouma was a possibility and if Zouma were to stay Tomori could come to us. However right at the end Luiz went and we were left with too little time to react. I think Brands will have to learn to not be so trusting of English clubs.

In my view and hindsight is 20/20 but in late July we should have moved away from Chelsea/Zouma. I don't think it's impossible he moves on but he was playing pre-season games for them so it was unlikely he would move on. We should have gone down our list for other CB's, either on loan or get a young player on a permanent. Maybe Todibo (the lad from Barca). Had Zouma become available later on it could have been done too, with Holgate being sold.

In fairness Brands does deserve some criticism. We may get away with it. However you can't Steve Walsh for not signing a centre forward and not be consistent with brands not signing a centre back. Whats also fair though is to say the rest of his business is far more measured, controlled and sensible than what Walsh did and the quality of the player signed have been better. Both of those things can be true at the same time.

I would assume Brands is working on a CB for January
He has stated that he doesn’t like buying in January but having only 3 dedicated senior CB s ( and I’m being generous to Holgate there ) is skating on thin ice

The guy is not an idiot. I understand he doesn't normally do it, but it's an exceptional circumstance. I think a centre back will come in. And in truth if Zouma is unhappy about it, he should have kicked up a much bigger fuss and done what Zaha did if he really wanted the move.

Macro said we had multiple cb targets and for somehow none of that came off. Not so sure on that...

It looks as if they were so confident Zouma will move here and by the time they realised that was not the case we were too late to act and thus putting in panic loan bid for Smalling and Rojo towards the end of the window. Utd knew we were desperate and decided to pull our pants down by asking £25m for an injury prone 29 cb who played about 4 league game for his club last season.

Both Chelsea and Utd decided to weaken us. One by not loaning a deadwood to us, another one must be playing around on the Zouma situation throughout the summer. The decision to not totally close the door for the transfer of Zouma must be a strategy?

Heads buried in the sand - all very Brexit.

It will all come out in the wash in October/November and the ‘nothing to worry about merchants’ will have an excuse or disappear.
Oh they will have their excuses alright with lashings of their favourite little childish 'bedwetter' quote.

I can’t believe Brands cannot get a capable cb in. He has the entire summer to identify targets. Massively disappointed on this.

Lads don’t laugh. I do think clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd may see us as a threat (breaking top 6) after beating them comfortably at home last season. That’s why we see the objection of loaning a 5th choice reserve cb as well as let us fall into a trap regarding Zouma situation.

It was definitely a failure on the face of it. We should’ve had a CB in and we didn’t get one so there’s no excuses.

I’m not even sure the Luiz situation changed anything - I imagine Luiz knew Zouma was ahead of him in the pecking order and pushed for a move.

I would’ve honestly taken Cahill on a free as he would’ve been happy as back up.
That staggers me honestly. Cant believe we were never in for him. Would have been perfect!

You literally have no idea what his plans a b c d to z are. You've no idea why we haven't ended up with a centre back. It could be brands fault or it could be a host of other reasons. Maybe a b and c fell through and he and Silva decided d wasn't worth it. But who knows. Pure speculation.
One of the really good things about brands regime (apart from some great signings) is how tight lipped we are around transfers. The offshoot of that is we have silly posts like this constantly.
With all respect scratching around on the final day trying to get an injury prone 5th choice Rojo smacks of desperation. Brands did a lot of good this window initially but he has handled the centre back situation appallingly. Let’s hope we’re lucky with the form and fitness of Mina and Keane till January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back