Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends who is appointed. So far, considering Silva wasn’t a Brands appointment, all you can judge him on are signings which have been stellar so far whilst trying to get rid of far too much dross.
I've said a few times, there's not enough evidence to judge him either way. Personally I'm evidently slightly less impressed by some of the signings than others are, and I think the deals we didn't do are just as important as the deals we did. I also think people are quick to absolve him of blame for issues, but then have no answer when you question them on it.

My opinion is that Silva is mainly to blame for this season's problems, but it's not all on him. I think our failure to get players in certain positions has cost us, and some of the players we've signed haven't really improved the side. Some people talk about Brands as if he's infallible; I don't think he is, I think he's done a relatively good job in the main with some fairly major exceptions. That's fine, I don't expect people to be perfect, I'd just rather we were honest about it and didn't build people up unrealistically.

Did we appoint him in November?

So we try to sign Silva November 2017 and get royally shafted, we then go back the following May and hire him a couple of weeks after Brands.

Just because he’s not officially appointed first doesn’t mean he wasn’t in essence meant to sign first. It was only the legal battle that stopped us.

So we try to sign Silva November 2017 and get royally shafted, we then go back the following May and hire him a couple of weeks after Brands.

Just because he’s not officially appointed first doesn’t mean he wasn’t in essence meant to sign first. It was only the legal battle that stopped us.

Taken from BBC Sport after Brands appointment over 2 weeks prior to the appointment of an unemployed, Marco Silva.

"He (Marcel Brands), along with new chief executive Denise Barrett-Baxendale, will now select Everton's new manager after the sacking of Sam Allardyce. "

Brands will have been consulted about the appointment of Silva, not even in doubt. As he was out of work, negotiations would have been pretty straight forward.

After Watford's capitulation under him and his eventual sacking there, it wouldn't have been surprising if they'd gone elsewhere - probably should have in hindsight.

Taken from BBC Sport

"He (Marcel Brands), along with new chief executive Denise Barrett-Baxendale, will select Everton's new manager after the sacking of Sam Allardyce. "

Brands will have been consulted about the appointment of Silva, not even in doubt.

After Watford's capitulation and eventual sacking under him, it wouldn't have been surprising if they'd gone elsewhere - probably should have in hindsight.
if we had not chased Silva to the point of being reported to the FA by Watford six months earlier while Brands was still employed by a different club I think I would be more critical of Brands.

I reckon Silva was already a done deal but Brands was willing to go along with it as Silva, rightly or wrongly, is considered a very good coach (not a manager). If he's not soley the one to choose the next manager then he should walk. Otherwise what's the point of him being there? He's supposed to oversee the whole structure of the club that was what he said when he joined.

As frustrated as I am that we haven't got rid of Silva I'm okay with it if we're taking our time getting in the right man rather than getting rid of him now and struggling to find the person who will at least move us in the right direction resulting in the embarrassment of having Unsworth and then Allardyce in charge.

With the investment made, we should have more players capable of making that step up. We don't. That's on Brands.

If you look at Leicester, who many were comparing us with at the start of the season, you're talking Chilwell, Soyuncu, Evans, Perreira, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Vardy and possibly Barnes.

We have two at best. Don't let the injury cloud your judgement, I hope Gomes recovers as quickly as anyone, but he's never a top six player. Nor is Bernard or Mina. Neither would make the bench at any top six club.
Everton wasted nearly 200 million before Brands arrived, to blame him after 18 months and under tight financial constraints is just mad. Every player he bought so far is an upgrade on what we had, even Kean who can’t seem to get a game is the best striking option we have

After the money we've spent, you don't think the target for Silva was to challenge the top six?

As such, we were signing players capable of making that step up. By and large, we haven't.

That's on Brands.
He didn’t spend 45 mil on Sigi or 25 mil each on Keane, Walcott or Tosun, not to mention the other dead wood.

If Brands has been in charge from day 1 instead of Walsh and Koeman, we would have a far far better squad. Every player he bought is an upgrade on what we have

I reckon Silva was already a done deal but Brands was willing to go along with it as Silva, rightly or wrongly, is considered a very good coach (not a manager). If he's not soley the one to choose the next manager then he should walk. Otherwise what's the point of him being there? He's supposed to oversee the whole structure of the club that was what he said when he joined.

As frustrated as I am that we haven't got rid of Silva I'm okay with it if we're taking our time getting in the right man rather than getting rid of him now and struggling to find the person who will at least move us in the right direction resulting in the embarrassment of having Unsworth and then Allardyce in charge.
The longer it goes on the more I'm believing they are after someone who knows what they're doing.
Who that is I have no idea but I hope it's someone who has won something, not many about I know.
Right now I'd take the fat Spanish waiter, being sensible I mean rather that dreaming of Simeone or others of that caliber

Everton wasted nearly 200 million before Brands arrived, to blame him after 18 months and under tight financial constraints is just mad. Every player he bought so far is an upgrade on what we had, even Kean who can’t seem to get a game is the best striking option we have
Tight financial constraints? Is that a joke? We've spent a fortune!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back