Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gbamin, Delph, Iwobi, Kean - all poor
Gomes - ok
Digne - very good
Bernard - bang average
Richarlison - ok
Mina - bang average

To be threatening top 6 (which is what he's here to achieve
only one of that lot are good enough. The rest are either too inconsistent or below par standard wise.
got to be one of the worst shouts this.
where do you even start with this horrific mess.

£86M net yes. If I sell my house for £200k and buy a new one for £300k I can't tell people my house only cost £100k can I? We've still spent the money, recouping some elsewhere doesn't mean it doesn't count.

I agree with what you're saying in general, there are constraints for all clubs (theoretically at least). I have been very clear in saying we haven't had unlimited funds, but the narrative that we have had particularly tight constraints is laughable, we just haven't. I'm not calling it out to say Brands is rubbish, I'm calling it out because I want people to look at it realistically and not through rose tinted glasses.

Well net spent is a horrific way of judging a club.

I do agree with that.

I mean this is rough math, but if you consider the Moyes years, as I said 13m over his tenure, sorry for using net again, but I dont have total spent.

But since then and again this is rough, but we have spent 50m+ on hiring and firing managers, around 100m on Agent fees and our wage bill has risen from 80m to 142m. There has been some serious money spent at this football club and currently we have gone from Moyes 6th place finish to our current position in 16th and all for ONLY the sum of roughly 600m in wages, 400m in transfer fees, plus the managers money and the Agent fees, over 1 billion pounds to go from 6th to 16th, you gotta love this club.

Bought before Brands took over

Idrissa Gueye 8 mil
Ashley Williams 12 mil
Yannick Bolasie 25 mil
DCL 1.5 mil
Lookman 12 mil
Snides 20 mil
Davy Klassen 24mil
Pickford 30 mil
Keane 25 mil
Sandro 5 mil
Rooney 10 mil??
GS 45 mil
Vlasic 10 mil
Tosun 27 mil
Walcott 20 mil
Henry O 7

totalling 272 mil

since Brands joined

Richarlison 40 mil
Digne 18 mil
Bernard free
Mina 27 mil
Gomes 25 mil
Iwobi 28 mil
Delph 8 mil
Gbamin 23
Kean 25 mil
Lossi free
Sidibe free

Total 174 mil
Scary to think we spent all that and no closer to the top 4

You can say someone has done well without saying they are world class.

You can say someone should do better without saying they are absolutely awful.

Apply accordingly to players, managers and directors of Football alike....

I think its impossible to judge the players Brands has brought in till they :

A) play more than 20minutes
B) play under a manager who will utilise them properly

Also this was never a 12month project.

I think the majority of his knockers are thinking we should have a perfect squad in 12months after spending like a drunken sailor for the last 6 windows.

He bought a whole new midfield in the summer, 2 of which wont be seen for the majority of the season, he bought a young Striker who has seen less game time than Niasse, how the hell is he meant to improve on the bench or in the stands?

I think its impossible to judge the players Brands has brought in till they :

A) play more than 20minutes
B) play under a manager who will utilise them properly

Also this was never a 12month project.

I think the majority of his knockers are thinking we should have a perfect squad in 12months after spending like a drunken sailor for the last 6 windows.

He bought a whole new midfield in the summer, 2 of which wont be seen for the majority of the season, he bought a young Striker who has seen less game time than Niasse, how the hell is he meant to improve on the bench or in the stands?

He bought them for this manager so if they can’t be judged, then Brands should be.
The only player I wouldn’t sell in this squad is Digne, the rest I’m not fussed either way.

He bought them for this manager so if they can’t be judged, then Brands should be.
The only player I wouldn’t sell in this squad is Digne, the rest I’m not fussed either way.
But has he? He said from day 1 if you want instant success im not your man but if you want to build I’m your man and he is, he’s buying younger players, he massively lowered the age of the squad and is reducing the wage bill and removing dead wood

I agree, the wait and see narrative is a flawed argument, if you can’t judge Brands because the players he bought in are injured, a work in progress or are to young and be will be better in a few years, then the same argument, patience and mitigation has to apply to Silva.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back