Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
86m in 3 transfer windows is NOT a fortune.
Well we haven't spent £86m have we? We've spent over £200m, we've just got some of it back. There's a difference. Either way, going a couple of years without buying anyone is working under tight financial constraints, not being able to play someone anymore because it'll trigger another £100k payment to their previous club is working under tight financial constraints, spending £86m net in 12 months is NOT working under tight financial constraints.

Last edited:
Brands has a chance to show that he can break the mould and bring in a different manager to the usual suspects.

Jorge Jesus would do exactly that and for me would 100% be a Brands pick.

We spent over 150 mil on garbage before he turned up
I don't disagree, but that's got nothing to do with him working under tight financial constraints has it? This is what I was talking about earlier, I just don't understand this desire to exaggerate everything to make him sound amazing. He's not had an unlimited budget, but he's had substantial backing. To suggest otherwise is just bizarre.

Gbamin, Delph, Iwobi, Kean - all poor
Gomes - ok
Digne - very good
Bernard - bang average
Richarlison - ok
Mina - bang average

To be threatening top 6 (which is what he's here to achieve
only one of that lot are good enough. The rest are either too inconsistent or below par standard wise.

played abar 100 minutes of football for this club so how you come to that conclusion is unreal. Same with kean

and Bernard ain’t no Marc Albrighton is he lol

I don't disagree, but that's got nothing to do with him working under tight financial constraints has it? This is what I was talking about earlier, I just don't understand this desire to exaggerate everything to make him sound amazing. He's not had an unlimited budget, but he's had substantial backing. To suggest otherwise is just bizarre.

You understand how ffp works?

End of the day since Brands became the DOF we improved the quality of the squad and reduced the age and wages... still a way to go

We’re still hamstrung by freeloaders like Schneiderlin, Tosun, Sandro, Niasse, Martina, Pennington and Besic all earning a first teamers wage and with no intention of leaving. It’ll be a few years before our cleanse is complete.

Bernard ain’t no Marc Albrighton is he lol

Nope. Albrighton is an unfashionable player but he has a purpose and he’s very effective.

Bernard does very little to justify the reputation he has with some fans. The definition of ineffective for the most part.

Whoever the new manager is, he’s gonna have to work with Brands to find us a few Albrightons, reliable players.

You understand how ffp works?
Probably as well as you do yes. I wouldn't say there's anything whatsoever to suggest that ffp regulations could be classed as 'tight financial constraints' for us in the context of the last 12 months, would you? We've had to do some wheeling and dealing, like all clubs do, but nothing remotely out of the ordinary as far as I can see.

As I've already said, i'm not trying to suggest he's been able to spend whatever he wants, but there's a big old gap in the middle of that and tight financial constraints.

I'm only playing devil's advocate here, I'm not judging him either way, just trying to add some balance when some people are making out the bloke's some sort of God.

Bought before Brands took over

Idrissa Gueye 8 mil
Ashley Williams 12 mil
Yannick Bolasie 25 mil
DCL 1.5 mil
Lookman 12 mil
Snides 20 mil
Davy Klassen 24mil
Pickford 30 mil
Keane 25 mil
Sandro 5 mil
Rooney 10 mil??
GS 45 mil
Vlasic 10 mil
Tosun 27 mil
Walcott 20 mil
Henry O 7

totalling 272 mil

since Brands joined

Richarlison 40 mil
Digne 18 mil
Bernard free
Mina 27 mil
Gomes 25 mil
Iwobi 28 mil
Delph 8 mil
Gbamin 23
Kean 25 mil
Lossi free
Sidibe free

Total 174 mil

Well we haven't spent £86m have we? We've spent over £200m, we've just got some of it back. There's a difference. Either way, going a couple of years without buying anyone is working under tight financial constraints, not being able to play someone anymore because it'll trigger another £100k payment to their previous club is working under tight financial constraints, spending £86m net in 12 months is NOT working under tight financial constraints.

Well we have spent 86m thats a fact.

Add Agents fees and managerial sackings we have WASTED vast sums over the last few years, but im talking about under Brands and hes had to cut his cloth accordingly.

We also didnt sign anybody till we sold some players, we do have financial restraints, our upcoming accounts will highlight that alarmingly so I suspect.

As I said if you think a Premier League club spending, lets call it 2 windows, 43m a window, I mean I honestly dont consider that a fortune.

Of course for context David Moyes spent 13m over 11 years, so alongside spending such as that it is an utter fortune.

BUT.

I will concede that its defo not poverty. Im just correcting the narrative that we have unlimited funds, we, along with most clubs in the league, have a degree of financial constraints.

I mean for context.

United 112m
City 89m
Liverpool 100m
Spurs 50m
Leicester 27m

So our spending is certainly near the higher side compared to the rest of the division.

Good post, there is a difference in net and gross when it comes to the business balance sheet. But in recruitment it doesn't matter we have speculated 200- 250 mill on new players. Anyway you want to look it at it, 200-250 mill was spent on new players.

Almost a quarter of a billion and we've got worse.

Gbamin, Delph, Iwobi, Kean - all poor
Gomes - ok
Digne - very good
Bernard - bang average
Richarlison - ok
Mina - bang average

To be threatening top 6 (which is what he's here to achieve
only one of that lot are good enough. The rest are either too inconsistent or below par standard wise.
Iwobi hasn’t been poor and Richarlison is better than ok.

Well we have spent 86m thats a fact.

Add Agents fees and managerial sackings we have WASTED vast sums over the last few years, but im talking about under Brands and hes had to cut his cloth accordingly.

We also didnt sign anybody till we sold some players, we do have financial restraints, our upcoming accounts will highlight that alarmingly so I suspect.

As I said if you think a Premier League club spending, lets call it 2 windows, 43m a window, I mean I honestly dont consider that a fortune.

Of course for context David Moyes spent 13m over 11 years, so alongside spending such as that it is an utter fortune.

BUT.

I will concede that its defo not poverty. Im just correcting the narrative that we have unlimited funds, we, along with most clubs in the league, have a degree of financial constraints.

I mean for context.

United 112m
City 89m
Liverpool 100m
Spurs 50m
Leicester 27m

So our spending is certainly near the higher side compared to the rest of the division.
£86M net yes. If I sell my house for £200k and buy a new one for £300k I can't tell people my house only cost £100k can I? We've still spent the money, recouping some elsewhere doesn't mean it doesn't count.

I agree with what you're saying in general, there are constraints for all clubs (theoretically at least). I have been very clear in saying we haven't had unlimited funds, but the narrative that we have had particularly tight constraints is laughable, we just haven't. I'm not calling it out to say Brands is rubbish, I'm calling it out because I want people to look at it realistically and not through rose tinted glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back