2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there will be input from the board, but let's get it right - Marcel Brands is on the board and;

"Our approach now is to have a Director of Football with a broader remit responsible for the whole footballing strategy at the club rather than just player recruitment.”

No manager comes in without Brands' approval.
Words and actions don't marry up at this club though. We should just let Brands go out, find the best manager that suits what he feels is our identity/style and Moshiri signs off on it. Instead what happens is Moshiri goes out, finds who he wants and Brands has to work with it

Brands did speak a few times about the door being open for Rooney to return as a coach and I'm sure he would have had a word with Cocu when Rooney signed for Derby.

Also, clear that Baines is at the start of his coaching journey and it's been mentioned that Seamus has "a contract for life" so I do think Brands has at least started this pipeline.

Im not a fan of this tbh though - Gerrard is streets behind Klopp in managerial quality and will never achieve what he has if he takes over from him.

Likewise the Lampard/OGS/Arteta experiments at Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal. For me you go out and get the best manager available rather than appointing someone who used to play for you/works at the club.

Its why I never liked the idea of Dunc being Carlo's assistant as for me he needs to go out and prove he is capable of being a future EFC manager by achieving things elswhere rather than laying cones for Carlo and one day being given the gig.

I think several of us feel that it should be Moshiri approving Brands' pick, not Brands approving Moshiri's...

No chance a DoF, on the board, with direct responsibility for the whole footballing strategy at the club doesn't make the call on any new manager.

Words and actions don't marry up at this club though. We should just let Brands go out, find the best manager that suits what he feels is our identity/style and Moshiri signs off on it. Instead what happens is Moshiri goes out, finds who he wants and Brands has to work with it

???

We've made one managerial appointment since Brands - Ancelotti.

Sure, he's "hollywood" and seems Moshiri, but Brands went for the same profile at PSV. Established coaches.

It seems a lot of people don't understand the role and remit Brands has - he's not just the bloke in the suit who does transfers.

Brands did speak a few times about the door being open for Rooney to return as a coach and I'm sure he would have had a word with Cocu when Rooney signed for Derby.

Also, clear that Baines is at the start of his coaching journey and it's been mentioned that Seamus has "a contract for life" so I do think Brands has at least started this pipeline.

We'll see.

They'll either do an Unsworth/Ferguson and stick with the club behind the scenes.

Or they'll be moved on to earn their managerial credentials elsewhere. How long was Gerrard with Liverpool before he moved on?

Not saying we should appoint just ex-players, but it seems wise to me to encourage them into coaching and to go and take jobs at Wigan etc.

Wonder who we'll be in for when Dom, Richo and James want out half way the disaster in waiting 2021-22 is going to be.

No disrespect to the guy but... like Walsh before him (who appears to be working the pre 2016 wonders again at Leicester) - how come both of them don't get it right at Everton.

He may pipe up with what manager he wants but none of the managers we have appointed are Kenwright picks lets be honest. If it was up to Kenwright Moyes would 100% be here
Dom King was on the radio this morning saying that Kenwright/Moshiri spoke to Moyes pre Carlo.

Wonder who we'll be in for when Dom, Richo and James want out half way the disaster in waiting 2021-22 is going to be.

No disrespect to the guy but... like Walsh before him (who appears to be working the pre 2016 wonders again at Leicester) - how come both of them don't get it right at Everton.
:Blink: He works in the US

No chance a DoF, on the board, with direct responsibility for the whole footballing strategy at the club doesn't make the call on any new manager.

???

We've made one managerial appointment since Brands - Ancelotti.

Sure, he's "hollywood" and seems Moshiri, but Brands went for the same profile at PSV. Established coaches.

It seems a lot of people don't understand the role and remit Brands has - he's not just the bloke in the suit who does transfers.

We'll see.

They'll either do an Unsworth/Ferguson and stick with the club behind the scenes.

Or they'll be moved on to earn their managerial credentials elsewhere. How long was Gerrard with Liverpool before he moved on?

Not saying we should appoint just ex-players, but it seems wise to me to encourage them into coaching and to go and take jobs at Wigan etc.
He was brought in with Marco Silva, who Moshiri wanted, I doubt it was Brands first choice but Moshiri wanted him

Dom King was on the radio this morning saying that Kenwright/Moshiri spoke to Moyes pre Carlo.

I read in The Athletic earlier that Moist was nearly a done deal until Carlo became available at the last minute. Kenwright is supposedly still keen on him.

What bothers me about anything I've read about these decisions is that they're all sticking their oar in. Kenwright & Moshiri have been way too involved in footballing decisions by all accounts. If you're to believe the reports, apparently Iwobi was a Moshiri suggestion for example. If they're paying Brands to take care of footballing strategy they need to let him get on with it.

We'll never progress with tinkering owners.

:Blink: He works in the US
As seen here arriving at a business meeting in Miami with his butties

steve-walsh-italy-june-2017.jpg

I read in The Athletic earlier that Moist was nearly a done deal until Carlo became available at the last minute. Kenwright is supposedly still keen on him.

What bothers me about anything I've read about these decisions is that they're all sticking their oar in. Kenwright & Moshiri have been way too involved in footballing decisions by all accounts. If you're to believe the reports, apparently Iwobi was a Moshiri suggestion for example. If they're paying Brands to take care of footballing strategy they need to let him get on with it.

We'll never progress with tinkering owners.
Agree totally mate, i remember reading an article after the PP for BMD had been passed and i was amazed at just how much Kenwright was involved with the design process given that he is meant to be a peripheral figure these days.

All the noises are we've been caught completely cold and had no succession plan for Ancelotti.

Brands should be sacked as a result. That is pure incompetence.
We've been caught cold, which isn't Everton's fault.

But that doesn't mean we don't have a plan or a shortlist. We can't call for Brands' head based on fear born of our ignorance of what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back