2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not a fan of this tbh though - Gerrard is streets behind Klopp in managerial quality and will never achieve what he has if he takes over from him.

Likewise the Lampard/OGS/Arteta experiments at Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal. For me you go out and get the best manager available rather than appointing someone who used to play for you/works at the club.

Its why I never liked the idea of Dunc being Carlo's assistant as for me he needs to go out and prove he is capable of being a future EFC manager by achieving things elswhere rather than laying cones for Carlo and one day being given the gig.

Why is appointing someone who played for the club such a bad thing? This is often used as a stick to beat people with. And how is it any different than appointing a proven winner in a different league, or an an up and coming manager from a different league? Each appointment is made on a case by case basis as is informed by the qualities an individual possesses.

The 4 managers you have named have all done well in their respective jobs, as begrudging as I would like to admit.

Solskjaer has taken United to 2nd in the league behind the ridiculous City side, a Europa final that they lost down to a Goalkeeper having a penalty saved, and has essentially been an improvement on some of the higher profile experienced managers that were picked before him.

Lampard oversaw a difficult period for Chelsea, in which they were initially unable to sign any players, and then was responsible for a rebuild that has just seen his replacement win the Champions league and finish 3rd. Half of that promising young side may never have even been given the time of day by certain other managers they could've appointed.

Arteta has admittedly been the least successful of the 3 thus far, but it's funny how things work out. We thought we had gazumped them by appointing the proven quality, the reputation, the man of character and standing. We'll 18 months later and here we are.

I'm not saying appointing Ferguson is my 1st choice, but what I will say about appointing someone in that mould, as each of those managers are in their own way, is that they bring with them some level of loyalty. A sense of belonging that is not just empty sentiment.

And what of the proven winners? Ancelotti or any of these other coaches, they all started somewhere. Yet the circumstances are the variables you are not judging them on. Ancelotti was appointed by Milan because he was that exact profile, and there he had his longest most successful spell in charge of anyone. And all jobs after that are just that, jobs. He has spoken of his deep love for Real Madrid on leaving here, his connection. Convenient. I get the impression he sees a ready made title challenge in the wake of Barcelona crumbling and the chance to fluff his CV with a title he couldn't win before. But that sounds much more cold and calculated than the romanticism he claims in public.

Having time to think on it, I can't blame him for the straight up choice. He has no connection to us, no history. To him, we are the small club he dreamed of managing when he was getting the boot from all the top teams, the place he was too good for that would appreciate him and love him unconditionally. He will never have expected the opportunity to go back to 1 of his previous giant employers. Once given the option, his true loyalties revealed themselves.

I had tried to defend him on here for months, defending the style, the beginnings of a plan, of a rebuild. I wasn't particularly enamoured with the style, but I understood the position. And it's a position we find ourselves in again. Whoever gets the job needs a lot of time. Expecting instant results is unrealistic.

And that applies to the appointment too. Appointing the serial winner does not guarantee winning. This has been proven again and again by many teams and many managers. They need to be the right fit.

We've been caught cold, which isn't Everton's fault.

But that doesn't mean we don't have a plan or a shortlist. We can't call for Brands' head based on fear born of our ignorance of what's happening.

This, completely.

I genuinely don't know what people expect any more. He left yesterday. I sometimes think it's just any reason to attack Brands with. If we had appointed someone already, it would probably be the wrong person and show how we have no ambition.

Why is appointing someone who played for the club such a bad thing? This is often used as a stick to beat people with. And how is it any different than appointing a proven winner in a different league, or an an up and coming manager from a different league? Each appointment is made on a case by case basis as is informed by the qualities an individual possesses.

The 4 managers you have named have all done well in their respective jobs, as begrudging as I would like to admit.

Solskjaer has taken United to 2nd in the league behind the ridiculous City side, a Europa final that they lost down to a Goalkeeper having a penalty saved, and has essentially been an improvement on some of the higher profile experienced managers that were picked before him.

Lampard oversaw a difficult period for Chelsea, in which they were initially unable to sign any players, and then was responsible for a rebuild that has just seen his replacement win the Champions league and finish 3rd. Half of that promising young side may never have even been given the time of day by certain other managers they could've appointed.

Arteta has admittedly been the least successful of the 3 thus far, but it's funny how things work out. We thought we had gazumped them by appointing the proven quality, the reputation, the man of character and standing. We'll 18 months later and here we are.

I'm not saying appointing Ferguson is my 1st choice, but what I will say about appointing someone in that mould, as each of those managers are in their own way, is that they bring with them some level of loyalty. A sense of belonging that is not just empty sentiment.

And what of the proven winners? Ancelotti or any of these other coaches, they all started somewhere. Yet the circumstances are the variables you are not judging them on. Ancelotti was appointed by Milan because he was that exact profile, and there he had his longest most successful spell in charge of anyone. And all jobs after that are just that, jobs. He has spoken of his deep love for Real Madrid on leaving here, his connection. Convenient. I get the impression he sees a ready made title challenge in the wake of Barcelona crumbling and the chance to fluff his CV with a title he couldn't win before. But that sounds much more cold and calculated than the romanticism he claims in public.

Having time to think on it, I can't blame him for the straight up choice. He has no connection to us, no history. To him, we are the small club he dreamed of managing when he was getting the boot from all the top teams, the place he was too good for that would appreciate him and love him unconditionally. He will never have expected the opportunity to go back to 1 of his previous giant employers. Once given the option, his true loyalties revealed themselves.

I had tried to defend him on here for months, defending the style, the beginnings of a plan, of a rebuild. I wasn't particularly enamoured with the style, but I understood the position. And it's a position we find ourselves in again. Whoever gets the job needs a lot of time. Expecting instant results is unrealistic.

And that applies to the appointment too. Appointing the serial winner does not guarantee winning. This has been proven again and again by many teams and many managers. They need to be the right fit.

This, completely.

I genuinely don't know what people expect any more. He left yesterday. I sometimes think it's just any reason to attack Brands with. If we had appointed someone already, it would probably be the wrong person and show how we have no ambition.

Well ultimately I want a manager with a proven track record (albeit with the right character to suit this club/squad of players).

For me its become a bit of a hipster thing in football where one big club does it so the rest follow suit and I've not seen much success Zidane aside to suggest its the right method long term.

I havent a problem with hiring say Big Dunc but only after he's managed say a championship side and gotten them promoted or won a trophy with a Swansea or a Birmingham then you could say yeah give him a go but laying cones for Carlo? I could do that doesn't make me qualified to be the manager!

Well ultimately I want a manager with a proven track record (albeit with the right character to suit this club/squad of players).

For me its become a bit of a hipster thing in football where one big club does it so the rest follow suit and I've not seen much success Zidane aside to suggest its the right method long term.

I havent a problem with hiring say Big Dunc but only after he's managed say a championship side and gotten them promoted or won a trophy with a Swansea or a Birmingham then you could say yeah give him a go but laying cones for Carlo? I could do that doesn't make me qualified to be the manager!

I get that you want the best, but all I'm saying is, success somewhere else doesn't necessarily mean success here, and vice versa. There are always factors, and squads are only the obvious 1. And Everton is an unusual beast that often defies logic.

I just don't think winning a cup with Swansea or Wigan makes any difference in the long run, because once they get here, it means nothing.

Also think its a little bit unfair on Ferguson. You don't know that he only lays cones. That is an assumption at best, and a massively understated 1 at that. He proved when he managed us for that short period that he has more about him than that. And again, I don't see how going somewhere else has any bearing on anything other than gaining experience in areas that have little or no effect on Everton.

Again, that is not me saying Ferguson is my 1st choice to get the job, I genuinely have no idea. Yesterday left me baffled. But I'm not going to second guess any appointment we do make until they have had a suitable amount of time to do the job that needs to be done.

Unless it's Gerrard. Or Graham Potter.

Dunc is interesting, and a complete unknown in reality. The cameo he had was promising. The Chelsea game was one of the best performances I’ve seen, and the treatment of Kean proved that he’s not prepared to take any [Poor language removed] from the prima donnas.

This DoF, or whatever mutations we have a club have attached to the role ain't working!
Everything is not working until it is. If we didnt have a DOF, you would have the same people saying we need to change things up and appoint 1. Just not that 1.

I've had this argument with my brother. Some of our fans will only be happy if we appoint a manager who wins straight away and carries on winning.

It comes across as so simplistic and impatient, and at times childish, Veruca Salt like. I want it NOW.

The mad thing is, it's not even like we've been spoilt by success. So what it boils down to is a bizarre sense of misplaced privelege. It's proper infuriating and not based on any reality or reason.

We are, historically, a massive club, and like other massive clubs, we have achieved great things. But unlike a lot of the other big clubs, we have never once had a real sustained period of success. We tend to be generational. I have faith and hope that it comes around again soon, but no one deserves to have success just because.

We need patience and belief that it can happen, and not to just keep chopping and changing because an idea didn't work straight away at its 1st attempt.

All the noises are we've been caught completely cold and had no succession plan for Ancelotti.

Brands should be sacked as a result. That is pure incompetence.
Hahaha, how do you plan a manager change?

He walked out within 24 hours, you can't plan for that.

Unless you think we should ring managers up weekly and ask if they are available on the off chance our manager leaves?

Top 1% doh.

Hahaha, how do you plan a manager change?

He walked out within 24 hours, you can't plan for that.

Unless you think we should ring managers up weekly and ask if their available on the off chance our manager leaves?

Top 1% doh.

Of course you can. It's like saying you can't plan for a fire because there's no fire.

It's his job. His literal job. To direct football. He has no other duties whatsoever. So if we're now scrambling around putting together a 'shortlist' and didn't have one already he's incompetent. Really is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back