• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't care about results and this season why are you so insistent that we need to buy a striker now.

There is no value in January.

If you conclude that we have nothing to play for this season ( I think you are correct and we will probably be knocked out of the FA cup on Saturday ) and are safe from relegation then it makes far more sense to keep hold of funds until the summer and not risk yet another January panic buy.

Gives the player time to bed into the squad and gets to know them all. And if we accept this season is a transition season then the pressure is off the players.

Exactly how they are playing now. Flip flops in January.

I don’t think the pressure is off. Just read any thread in this forum. They are expected to finish 7th. And are expected to beat everyone but the top 6. Silva is under pressure (not helped by the media). If your manager is under pressure, that trickles down.

It's the manner in which we performed: assured and aggressive and composed.

It's all about developing a style right now. I'm not concerned with overall results, which is why I want to see a new striker in this window in readiness for next season.

...trying to go for it. Tactics poor on the night, but we were bold and imaginative and bought into by the players.

I dont care about this season, it's next season we have to focus on. He's been here and given us 5 months worth of football (or attempting to play it), which is more than we ever got out of the total time here fr Koeman and Allardyce.

Since December we definately haven't been trying to play football. We have been clueless all over the park with no clear style of play. Whilst I don't want the manager out he needs to sort this mess out quickly.

I don’t think the pressure is off. Just read any thread in this forum. They are expected to finish 7th. And are expected to beat everyone but the top 6. Silva is under pressure (not helped by the media). If your manager is under pressure, that trickles down.

Exactly. About time they started playing like it. Southampton was severely lacking in application.

I dont care about this season, it's next season we have to focus on. He's been here and given us 5 months worth of football (or attempting to play it), which is more than we ever got out of the total time here fr Koeman and Allardyce.
Flys in the face of everything you like to say Dave, but I'm sure you must've known that :hayee:

Agree pressure isnt off season isnt over, im not a fan of writing off seasons.

We're still in the FA cup, and we still can finish 7th, despite were currently [Poor language removed] that should be our aim.

I'm really sorry to talk about he who must not be named (SAM ALLARDYCE) but I made the mistake of listening to TalkSport this morning and heard the belter on the Alan Brazil show, by way of additional support to Marco Martinez, (whom I think we should keep for at least 2 seasons before judging) and also OH MY GOD HOW DID WE EVER HAVE SAM ALLARDYCE AT OUR CLUB???!!!!

I had to vent because I can't believe it and it spoiled my morning listening to him and I have to get it off my chest.
That feeling people have that he has some privileged position in the media, it is surely because he pays for it, I just don't get it otherwise. Funnily enough though, on the show this morning, he was mentioned as if he was a sponsor, and they said 'Alan Brazil breakfast with Sam Allardyce and Arnold Clark' and it almost felt like he was a show sponsor.

The fact that he's held up as an expert manager, and as a saviour of football clubs has inflated his ego, and he's a bit like a Mourinho of the bottom half of the PL and top half of the Championship.
I think the hatred for him is not personal, it's just the fact that we HAD to hire him, and then how he made out like he was a hero, and that he resents being fired and talks as if we should have kept him on.

Not a well written post because I'm venting.

Back to Marco:

One lesson we can learn from Roberto Martinez in his 2nd and 3rd season, is that an intervention by the board may have helped him. If he had, for instance, got a better coach than Graeme Whatshisname, and Denis Lawrence, or had bought or invested better, had changed his tactics a bit, we might have done better. I hope that part of the agreement with being line managed by Brands is that he can be given feedback and direction on the first team

What he needs is to tighten up the defence, and recognise that Gana is not playing as a true holding midfielder, and perhaps the full backs are a little too open..some of the goals seem to come from Coleman or DIgne being exposed, I think.

We would all welcome a period of stability, and would accept a few 1-0 or 0-0 against the top 6, if we can just manage to stay in 7th place.

If next year we are also in 7th, but within 5 points of 6th at the end of the season, that's progress, and then in 2020/21, I would expect to be firmly finishing in the top 6, and in 2021/22 firmly in the top 4. That's a difficult, but balanced, achievable target.

Look at Spurs, and before they get carried away, after their last 20 years, qualifying for the CL 3 years in a row, and progressing 3 years in a row, is excellent. If they do that for 5 years, then they can think of winning EPL or CL

We should think that first we need to command 7th place, then command a top 6 place, then move from there. Marco Silva can do it, but I hope he has the plan to stay here for 5 years, and that we back him, his boss criticises or improves him, and we progress in a steady, sustainable way.

Since December we definately haven't been trying to play football. We have been clueless all over the park with no clear style of play. Whilst I don't want the manager out he needs to sort this mess out quickly.
He's battling against the miasma of cowardness that engulfed this club halfway through the Martinez period.

We all know what the problem is here.

He's battling against the miasma of cowardness that engulfed this club halfway through the Martinez period.

We all know what the problem is here.

I agree with that, but none of the players in this team were involved in those nervous, cowardly, weak days

The only people I would think would spread that kind of feeling are Jags, Baines and Coleman. Coleman I think is tougher than that, and so why is it that there would be a hangover now from Martinez? Definitely can see there being a hangover from Sam Allardyce and Koeman, but there too, it's only Gana, Keane, Walcott and the young ones left

I was very impressed at the way he took Everton to two very tough away fixtures at Anfield and Stamford Bridge and set out a plan to deal with superior opposition whilst offering a big threat.

We haven't seen that since Martinez's first season...the ONLY season we have witnessed that type of boldness since the club's 80s heyday.

I'm hanging on to that thought and hoping when he's been given a striker of some note and balances out this team with a right side we'll be a force to reckon with.
a stopped clock is right twice a day...

Thats the crux of it for me, the results werent bad before The Derby, now they are, the results are bad and the performances are even worse.

So hes getting worse results with the same players, to me that screams CRAP MANAGER.

Said it before Goat, Silva's body language says it for me (I'm a body language expert!) before the Derby he always looked busy on the line, ushering players forward, more verbal, now (Southampton especially) he just stands there, arms folded, looking bemused. Just makes you wonder how motivational he is with this squad of players because at this moment in time, manager and players don't look one bit arsed.

with the situation we find ourselves in regards incomings this window..

maybe BRANDS is putting the blockers on any incomings that Silva wants.

maybe he is testing his managerial skills out, and letting him know that he spent huge money in summer and that he should be getting way more out of these players.. which he absolutely should be

in other words, its a total no confidence vote from Brands to Marco …. which is looks like

im sure we could get one or two loans in if we tried hard enough, we could juggle the squad around to make room , it just looks like we don't really want too to me

now (Southampton especially) he just stands there, arms folded, looking bemused.

Martinez had that look when we were 28 games 28 points. He didn’t really know what to do as the games were sliding away. Silva has definitely entered that phase. He’s only dipping his toe in at the moment. He needs to turn around before he becomes fully immersed. Couple of wins can do that.

He reminds me of Droopy in the way he looks during a game and how he sounds in his interviews afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back